TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Tesla Succeed Like Apple, Or Vanish Like Altair?

Discussion in 'News' started by AnOutsider, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#1 AnOutsider, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    Will Tesla Succeed Like Apple, Or Vanish Like Altair?

References another article we've been discussing (and puzzling over the title of):

*edit* also mentions that they'll be reporting from the event:
    The wording suggests that if they ARE there tomorrow (Friday 9/30), they'll be posting what they learn and not holding off as some suspected might be the case.

2. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I think Tesla the company, and its products, are very Apple-like. Elon on stage tonight, however, was no Steve Jobs.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha noticed that too eh? The guy that introduces him was a much better speaker, I felt a bit awkward during some of the umms.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Elon's a ... terrible speaker. :smile: "<Makes a statement> ... uhmmm.. so yeah. <pause>"

I spoke with Franz for several minutes and Elon for about 30 seconds ... and a vast array of Tesla employees. I'm now convinced they have the strategy, vision, and execution to make a viable long-term company.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I spoke to George Blankenship and JB Straubel for several minutes and second your comments.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Yea, Elon has admitted himself that he is a bad speaker. He's actually getting a lot better, he used to visibly shake in interviews. I feel for the guy, I'm a pretty big introvert myself, can't imagine being CEO of 2 companies and having to do the kinds of talks he does.

I imagine it is hard to prepare and practice his talks too with how busy he must be.

7. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

I don't think so , it's much better to say something with your own words , as speak an hour and say actual nothing but hot air , and waste the oxygen from all your listeners ..

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Telsa Motors will succeed like Apple because of there approach to EVs, Technology and the people working for TM.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I think he meant general lessons, not be prompted for speeches. He can be taught to visibly relax and compose his thoughts before going forward. I find it hard to believe they didn't have a script for him.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, but the operative word is practice - lots of it. Most people are naturally nervous about being in front of an audience, and you have to do it enough that you lose that.

Mind you, one simple step to make yourself look a lot less nervous is to remember to simply pause instead of saying "uhmmm".

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

It also requires taking time to review video taped speeches and making adjustments. My feeling is that making proper speeches is the last thing on Elon's mind. I doubt he even watches any of the video afterward.

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

He has a handler. A woman who reminds him what to say ..and not to before talks and interviews.

Martin is a natural.