Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Succeed Like Apple, Or Vanish Like Altair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Will Tesla Succeed Like Apple, Or Vanish Like Altair?

For every Apple, in other words, there are hundreds of companies that have vanished from the computer business, from Altair, Altos, Amdahl, and Apollo to Wang, Xerox, and Zeos.

Every venture capitalist knows this, and the most successful VCs hope to have a home run and a base hit out of every 10 companies they fund. The rest? Collateral damage.

Debating whether Tesla Motors (and its charismatic CEO Elon Musk) will be an Apple or an Altair is part of the excitement around the nascent electric car business.

References another article we've been discussing (and puzzling over the title of):

Now Fortune senior editor-at-large Alex Taylor III has weighed in. You might deduce that he's a skeptic about Tesla's chances by the title of his article: "Tesla's business plan: Riding on fumes."

*edit* also mentions that they'll be reporting from the event:
Starting tomorrow night, the company will spend four days showing off the latest version of its 2012 Tesla Model S all-electric sports sedan as it moves closer to launch. GreenCarReports will be there, reporting on the events as they happen.

The wording suggests that if they ARE there tomorrow (Friday 9/30), they'll be posting what they learn and not holding off as some suspected might be the case.

Last edited:
Elon's a ... terrible speaker. :smile: "<Makes a statement> ... uhmmm.. so yeah. <pause>"

I spoke with Franz for several minutes and Elon for about 30 seconds ... and a vast array of Tesla employees. I'm now convinced they have the strategy, vision, and execution to make a viable long-term company.

Elon's a ... terrible speaker. :smile: "<Makes a statement> ... uhmmm.. so yeah. <pause>"

I spoke with Franz for several minutes and Elon for about 30 seconds ... and a vast array of Tesla employees. I'm now convinced they have the strategy, vision, and execution to make a viable long-term company.

I spoke to George Blankenship and JB Straubel for several minutes and second your comments.

Yea, Elon has admitted himself that he is a bad speaker. He's actually getting a lot better, he used to visibly shake in interviews. I feel for the guy, I'm a pretty big introvert myself, can't imagine being CEO of 2 companies and having to do the kinds of talks he does.

I imagine it is hard to prepare and practice his talks too with how busy he must be.

I don't think so , it's much better to say something with your own words , as speak an hour and say actual nothing but hot air , and waste the oxygen from all your listeners ..

I think he meant general lessons, not be prompted for speeches. He can be taught to visibly relax and compose his thoughts before going forward. I find it hard to believe they didn't have a script for him.

Rethoric and free speech is something you can learn and practice. A CEO of 2 companies should take some lessons. :tongue:

Yes, but the operative word is practice - lots of it. Most people are naturally nervous about being in front of an audience, and you have to do it enough that you lose that.

Mind you, one simple step to make yourself look a lot less nervous is to remember to simply pause instead of saying "uhmmm".