Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Next-Gen Tesla Roadster Be Delayed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Editor’s note: This article was updated after readers pointed out that Musk’s comments could be referring to a Plaid version of the Roadster, not necessarily the entire production run.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk’s comments on Twitter have caused some to wonder if the new Tesla Roadster will actually go into production next year.

Musk was replying to comments and questions about an updated Model S with “Plaid” performance that is scheduled to go to production “in October or November of next year.” When asked about other models that would receive the Plaid powertrain, Musk said the “New Roadster and X will come later.”

If the Plaid Model S won’t hit the streets until the very end of the year, does that mean the “2020 Roadster” will be delayed until 2021? Or, was Musk just saying that the Plaid version of the Roadster will come after the Plaid Model S?

Musk didn’t outright say the car would be delayed until 2021, but he did respond affirmatively when the car was referenced as the “2021 Roadster.”

It’s confusing.

Will there be multiple performance versions of the new Roadster?

Is it possible that Tesla will sell a $250,000 supercar that doesn’t come standard with its highest performance tech?

The new Roadster is expected to pack impressive specs even for a supercar – 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds and a range of up to 620 miles from a 200 kWh battery pack.

Whether it comes in 2020 or 2021, Musk said on Twitter that the car will break the overall track record at Nürburgring.

Maybe that’s worth the wait. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ariscus and Ezri10
If you think that Tesla doesn't keep promises, then I would caution against taking what the VW group says at face value...

I don't. All of it is pie in the sky until there is production.
But that Pikes Peak car is pretty impressive. It also kicked butt on the Nürburgring.
I still think Tesla needs to get into some sort of racing... (especially with its current market cap.)

As 2020 continues with social distancing I find myself wanting a Roadster more and more, not least for the range but mostly because of the size. I have always preferred small high performance things. Long ago, the Lotus Elite was my lust.

I shall place my order the day I believe we'll have hem delivering within a year. Otherwise I will wait impatiently. I have waited for multiple Teslas and have not regretted it. This time I'm learning patience, or so I claim.:rolleyes:

As 2020 continues with social distancing I find myself wanting a Roadster more and more, not least for the range but mostly because of the size. I have always preferred small high performance things. Long ago, the Lotus Elite was my lust.

I shall place my order the day I believe we'll have hem delivering within a year. Otherwise I will wait impatiently. I have waited for multiple Teslas and have not regretted it. This time I'm learning patience, or so I claim.:rolleyes:
I'm anxiously waiting to see/drive the new Roadster. Where are the status updates Tesla?! I worked for Lotus years ago and thoroughly enjoyed piloting Exige 240/260 S cars. SO MUCH fun!

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm anxiously waiting to see/drive the new Roadster. Where are the status updates Tesla?! I worked for Lotus years ago and thoroughly enjoyed piloting Exige 240/260 S cars. SO MUCH fun!
I hope you had a chance at the Real one the type 14 SE. I remember it well; as well as it being perhaps the least reliable vehicle ever I ever drove. The only remote comparison was the 7, although I only know the Caterham ones, which remove much of the drama by actually running consistently. I also had a Lotus Cortina which destroyed all my faith by only even having one large fault, and little cheap nylon bushing to stabilise the shifter, that solved by machining a little piece of aluminum to replace it. Memories!

Working for Lotus must have been a blast.