TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will the Next-Gen Tesla Roadster Be Delayed?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by TMC Staff, Sep 17, 2019.

1. TMC Staff

A new Tesla Roadster likely isn’t going to happen next year. Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter Tuesday that the company’s high-performance sports car that aims to give a “hardcore smackdown to gas-powered cars” won’t be released until after an updated Model S goes to production in October or November of next year. New...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

i think he just meant the plaid version of the roadster will be delayed. not the roadster itself

• Like x 3
  3. Ezri10

Ezri10 Member

Really?
    your interpretation is off

He answered that PLAID will come to the roadster later...

• Like x 1
  4. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

5. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Jesus, who needs it to be faster than 1.9 seconds?

• Like x 1
  6. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Member

The guys from Street Outlaws.... or least an owner that wants to lay the smack down to the 405.o_O

7. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I don't know how much more you need to smack somebody down. Losing a race is losing a race. Running across another car that will be even close, outside of the track, is extremely unlikely.

8. XLR82XS

XLR82XS Member

Not where I live....

9. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

I feel sorry for all those people who pre-ordered a roadster expecting it to have "plaid" performance, but hey, this is modus operandi for Tesla: make some announcement, get people to pay money, fail to deliver. Rinse, repeat.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  10. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

If you have these feelings towards this company, why do you linger and post on a board dedicated to it's products?

11. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

i'm sure people who want plaid will be able to wait to configure their car. such a silly post

12. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

The more who wait the sooner I get mine! I wasn't willing to pay $20k to get Ludicrous, and I'll bet the Plaid upgrade will be at least that much if not more.

13. wenkan

wenkan Member

From my understanding, Plaid is standard for roadster, optional for Model S & X. The roadster webpage still states the 200k base model will have 3 motors, which is the key factor of Plaid. The upgrade for roadster is the spaceX thrusters.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#14 brianman, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Lest it be forgotten...

"There is of course only one thing beyond ludicrous, but that speed is reserved for the next-generation Roadster in 4 years: maximum plaid.
    https://www.tesla.com/blog/three-dog-day

My loose interpretation of that phrasing given more recent developments is...

S:
    • Sport - 2012 P85
    • Insane - 2014 P85D
    • Ludicrous - 2015 P85D, P90D
    • Ludicrous+ - 2016 P100D
    • Plaid - 2020 P100D
    Roadster

• Plaid - 2020+ Roadster
    • Maximum Plaid - 2020+ Roadster w/SpaceX package

As an previous owner of many of the S offerings, the Plaid S is intriguing but my lust remains directed at Roadster so far.

• Like x 3
  15. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Maybe P100T, brianman?

• Like x 1
  16. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I just wish Tesla would focus on releasing the Roadster 2020 in 2020! Please give us a reason to spend our money!

If I had a date certain for the initial release I'd be willing to drop a deposit. The uncertainty leaves my funds in the market.

• Like x 1
  17. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

I am hoping for a solid release date too. Not putting down the deposit because the lost profit from not investing is too much

• Like x 1
  18. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

In the same boat.... Not lending 50k on a vehicle with no firm release date. 50K would be much better investment into a presale condo ect.