Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

duanra

Dec 14, 2018
Montreal
Hello,

When i roll down and up my front windows, it makes a horrible sound a bit like when you scratch a black board with your nail..
Or dental work !!!!!
My car is going for service next week for that. Did anyone encounter this issue ?

My front driver's side does the same but only when wet. After completely drying out there is no noise. If your car is going in for service, ask what they are doing to remedy the problem. A Tesla tech said they will sometimes apply wax to the window which can help but as soon as the wax wears off (week or two) the noise comes back. Don't accept that as a solution.

My other 3 windows are normal.

Thanks for the feedback.
It is weird because mine started to do it after being exposed to an ice storm.
Now it does it when the car is in warm place (garage). So yes, it might have to do with humidity. Also i was guessing it could be some sand, dust got in there when the ice melted ?

So how did you get yours fixed, beside the wax job ?

Thanks for the feedback.
It is weird because mine started to do it after being exposed to an ice storm.
Now it does it when the car is in warm place (garage). So yes, it might have to do with humidity. Also i was guessing it could be some sand, dust got in there when the ice melted ?

So how did you get yours fixed, beside the wax job ?

I haven't had time to bring mine in to service yet. I suspect the only way to truly fix the problem is a new seal.

That is one of the things that concerns me about a frameless window design.

I think it's more of a quality issue than being frameless. I've had (and have) other cars with frameless windows from mid 90's and early 2000's and the frameless windows have never made any noise.

Ok, so mobile service came and wax it. The thing is since the car was sitting in a garage for a while, the problem was gone.
However the mobile guy was very knowledgeable and took time to answrr all my questions
A very good service.

Ok, so mobile service came and wax it. The thing is since the car was sitting in a garage for a while, the problem was gone.
However the mobile guy was very knowledgeable and took time to answrr all my questions
A very good service.
Thanks for the update. I think the standard fix by Tesla for this known issue is wax. Although it does works, it is a very temporary bandaid solution and not a true fix. The mobile guy I dealt with was also very pleasant and knowledgable but at the end of the day they are bound by "fixes" prescribed by Tesla itself even though they likely know that something like wax will not be an effective long-term solution for this issue.

Anyhow the car was exposed to the snow again and the noise started again. So i'm going to contact the sc again and try to have them replace the seal or something.
What's happening is as soon as the car spends enough time in a dry place the noise stops since the water evaporates, but if you expose the car to snow and ice again....

Anyhow the car was exposed to the snow again and the noise started again. So i'm going to contact the sc again and try to have them replace the seal or something.
What's happening is as soon as the car spends enough time in a dry place the noise stops since the water evaporates, but if you expose the car to snow and ice again....
And I bet if you try wax again it will go away momentarily. Keep us posted on what happens.

Ok, i made an appointment with the Montreal service center. They are hoing to do a leak check and also check on connection issue and charging issue.
The other day charging stopped, and I couldn't start it again with the app. I had to go back to the car to do it.