Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window not closing completely.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Model S after passenger door is closed window does not automatically fully close for tight seal. Also when the passenger door is open there is no window control from passenger door controller. Only when door is closed can passenger controller work. (All other doors being open can operate their window). Passenger has original door handle. Driver controller does operate the passenger window to seal and to open and close. I tried the calibration method and console resets. There are times after using driver controls that the passenger window will automatically does automatically seal but will not work consistently. Video link.

Last edited:
Problem solved. Broken ground wire in passenger door hinge rubber grommet. Driver door last April had broken wires id repaired causing other issues. See it in my content.

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_110718111.jpg
    IMG_20230815_110718111.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230815_120106673_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230815_120106673_HDR.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
My passenger window opens reliably, but once open, closing it results in the glass coming up 3-4 inches and going back down. This will happen repeatedly -- up to 5-6 times. But after leaving it down for 20-30 seconds, it will close all the way. this happens from driver's side switch and passenger side switch and both with one-touch and constantly holding the switch.

I've tried the recalibration procedure with no success. Had a mobile tech (there for another reason) diagnose it as resistance from the lower window seal, but that wasn't it.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I too had a similar problem with my X window not going up all the way when closed. Calibration did nothing. Turns out I admittedly had got my hand caught in the window prior and that stretched the safety springs in the regulator. Regulator had to be replaced.

So you have tried everything else, a mobile tech can replace the regulator in about 30 minutes. And if they are in there, they can immediately tell that is the problem without pulling it out.

Upvote 0
Bumping this as this is important info. I had the “window not automatically closing on door close” issue on the front driver door. Tesla quoted $800 for diagnostic and to replace the window regulator. Decided to DIY it. Replaced regulator, but didn’t not solve the issue. Turns out my gray wire in the rubber grommet between the door and car broke off. This gray wire is thicker than the rest, and after to many bends, it broke. Mended it and fixes the issue.

Upvote 0