Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows roll back down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had similar issues on my Xs.
While the window is rising it is experiencing resistance and hence reverses as a safety feature (in case it has run into a person's arm or neck or similar).
If your window is making a scraping noise as it is rising then that is likely the issue.
If your window goes all the way to the top before reversing then it is likely hitting the frame of the car instead of going into the slot.

For one of my cars I was able to work around this with this by opening the door before closing the window, then closing the door.
For our other car the workaround was to have a second person outside the car gently leaning on the window while it closed.
In both cases these issues were intermittent for a while and so the workarounds were ok... however once the failure became consistent it is time to take it in for service, then they can reproduce the problem and fix it.

The other thing you may note is that if you do close the window "successfully" but have wind noise ... this likely indicates that the window has shut outside of its slot (on the outside of the car)

I've had similar issues on my Xs.
While the window is rising it is experiencing resistance and hence reverses as a safety feature (in case it has run into a person's arm or neck or similar).
If your window is making a scraping noise as it is rising then that is likely the issue.
If your window goes all the way to the top before reversing then it is likely hitting the frame of the car instead of going into the slot.

For one of my cars I was able to work around this with this by opening the door before closing the window, then closing the door.
For our other car the workaround was to have a second person outside the car gently leaning on the window while it closed.
In both cases these issues were intermittent for a while and so the workarounds were ok... however once the failure became consistent it is time to take it in for service, then they can reproduce the problem and fix it.

The other thing you may note is that if you do close the window "successfully" but have wind noise ... this likely indicates that the window has shut outside of its slot (on the outside of the car)

Thank you. I did notice wind noise a couple of times as well. I think you nailed it. Will have to take it in.