Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer pump fix 2012-2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how long this fix will last but it takes less than 30 minutes.

First there is no need to remove the tire. Turn the wheel to the left, pop out the 2 bottom clips and the pump is right behind the liner on the driver's side. Very easy access and plenty of room. Removal of the pump is super easy. Just disconnect the power and the rubber hose and then carefully wiggle the pump out from the washer tank. My pump was seized because of rust. I shot some WD40 into the nozzle where the rubber hose connects to the pump until it ran freely out of the inlet. I also shot some into the weep holes on the side where the motor is. Drained out as much of the WD40 as I could. I then took a 12v DeWalt tool battery with jumper wires to power the pump, nothing. So then I tried a 20v battery and it fired right up! Switched polarity and ran the pump the other direction. Did that a few times with the 20v and then went back to the 12v. Everything worked fine with 12v. Reinstalled the pump but I let some fluid pass through the pump before connecting the rubber hose in order to both prime the pump and wash out any WD40 or rust particles that remained. Washer now works!

I don't expect this to last as long as a new pump would but I'm curious to see how long it does last.

Greg! Thank you so very much, i just did this exact thing and i got my pump to come back to life. I hit with a few shots of 12V and i just heard a slight click; i then took the 26V battery from my e bike and hit the pump with that both polarities and the impeller starting spinning again, assume some debris got in there and hung up the impeller? Ran some WD40 through it for good measure and she's running great!

Reactions: KalJoMoS