Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer reservoir leak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I fill up my windshield washer fluid, I return to the car to find a puddle of about 8-12 ounces of washer fluid on my garage floor.

I don’t spill any fluid while filling. Once this much leaks out, there is no additional leaking.

I took off the plastic trim around the washer fluid fill neck but could see no obvious leak. Feeling around the fill neck, it feels like the fill neck connects to the tank but it felt dry.

Is this normal? The windshield washers operate normally otherwise.

B941AAF5-36AA-4722-87E0-6B0685A91EBF.jpeg

If it's not leaking from the gasket/seal where the "gooseneck" connects to the reservoir, there must be an issue further down. I haven't looked, but is there a way to remove the reservoir w/o involving a serious teardown?

It could be a crack in the filler neck tube. If the washer fluid sprays normally and there is no further leaking then the next time the low washer fluid light illuminates fill the fluid reservoir less than all the way (holds 4.5L, ~1.2 gallons). If some of the washer fluid again leaks the next time you add washer fluid and fill with washer fluid to just below the filler neck then you will have localized the leak. Then you should open a service request.

Ok. So this issue kept happening whenever I fill the reservoir to the top. I was able to use a mirror around the filler neck connection to the reservoir tank and spotted a hairline crack on the reservoir where the reservoir and filler neck meet.

Since my service center is 2 hours away, I decided to try to apply some silicone to see if I could fix it on my own. The good news is that it worked and no more leak!

To get to the affected area, remove the trim, frunk, and bio defense filter.
50DAC411-2BE5-42FC-9BE8-6FE766F8C46A.jpeg

Heres a closeup of the crack…

483B3F59-152A-4DA1-9163-B4E462DB7056.jpeg

I then removed the filler neck. It just pulls out and has on O-ring to keep water from leaking.

2BB9613B-D95D-46E9-8ED8-98EF05AB5692.jpeg

I then removed winshield washer fluid to make sure the water line was below the affected area.
56EBE02D-8387-4432-BE3E-0A6CCB5E00E1.jpeg

I then cleaned everything with alcohol and dried it.

Finally, I applied silicone in the inside of the tank where the crack was and also applied silicone all around the filler neck area and o-ring. I reattached the filler neck and let it dry for an hour.

D57F7F07-6EC9-44DF-A64D-CB5F2CD4DB9B.jpeg

I then filled the reservoir all the way to the top of the fill neck and confirmed there’s no more leak!

63403F97-E904-4466-9067-8142A2594FA2.jpeg

Ok. So this issue kept happening whenever I fill the reservoir to the top. I was able to use a mirror around the filler neck connection to the reservoir tank and spotted a hairline crack on the reservoir where the reservoir and filler neck meet.

Since my service center is 2 hours away, I decided to try to apply some silicone to see if I could fix it on my own. The good news is that it worked and no more leak!

To get to the affected area, remove the trim, frunk, and bio defense filter.
View attachment 883467

Heres a closeup of the crack…

View attachment 883468

I then removed the filler neck. It just pulls out and has on O-ring to keep water from leaking.

View attachment 883469

I then removed winshield washer fluid to make sure the water line was below the affected area.
View attachment 883470

I then cleaned everything with alcohol and dried it.

Finally, I applied silicone in the inside of the tank where the crack was and also applied silicone all around the filler neck area and o-ring. I reattached the filler neck and let it dry for an hour.

View attachment 883471

I then filled the reservoir all the way to the top of the fill neck and confirmed there’s no more leak!