Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked the tread on my Nokian WRG4's and down to 4/32 after only 17K miles!

My previous tires were Michelin MXM4 (OEM) and then A/S3+. I got between 25-30K on those. The guy at Discount Tire said that's typical for Teslas, as the Nokians have softer rubber than my previous tires. They were great in the snow, so my feeling is to stick with them. I did ask about the Michelin Crosscountry2 and he said wear will be similar to the Nokian, as it has a softer rubber, too. I am getting back about $150/tire for the treadwear warranty.

Reactions: impastu
Just checked the tread on my Nokian WRG4's and down to 4/32 after only 17K miles!

My previous tires were Michelin MXM4 (OEM) and then A/S3+. I got between 25-30K on those. The guy at Discount Tire said that's typical for Teslas, as the Nokians have softer rubber than my previous tires. They were great in the snow, so my feeling is to stick with them. I did ask about the Michelin Crosscountry2 and he said wear will be similar to the Nokian, as it has a softer rubber, too. I am getting back about $150/tire for the treadwear warranty.
Oops, meant Cross climate2 not Cross country2. Too late to edit...

I have reached my maximum level of frustration with trying to figure out winter tires.

I have a Plaid S arriving soon (fingers crossed) with 21" rims. I live in the northwest, and while it is mostly raining during the winter months, i do drive to ski resorts and over mountain passes that can receive lots of snow.

I'm concerned that i won't be able to get a 19" or 20" dedicated winter wheel package delivered soon enough.

My question is whether anyone is running staggered 21" winter tires on their Performance/Plaid vehicles. If not, can someone shed some light on why this is an awful idea to consider in the first place.

I have reached my maximum level of frustration with trying to figure out winter tires.

I have a Plaid S arriving soon (fingers crossed) with 21" rims. I live in the northwest, and while it is mostly raining during the winter months, i do drive to ski resorts and over mountain passes that can receive lots of snow.

I'm concerned that i won't be able to get a 19" or 20" dedicated winter wheel package delivered soon enough.

My question is whether anyone is running staggered 21" winter tires on their Performance/Plaid vehicles. If not, can someone shed some light on why this is an awful idea to consider in the first place.
Apparently new 2021 / plaid winter rim packages coming end of month. Says service centre in Vancouver Canada.

19” wheels/tires are less expensive to start with but mainly the wheels are more durable. A wheel-eating pothole that you can avoid in the summer looks like a bit of slush in the winter. Tire selection mainly depends on wether you will encounter much ice. My main concern is the ice storms we occasionally get so I went with a Nordic tire(Nokian, Blizzak, X-Ice Snow)

Oops, meant Cross climate2 not Cross country2. Too late to edit...
WELL worst case use the tread warrenty to get the next pair-thats what i do..my nokians wore fast too..the cc2 is way better so far...but teslas weight burns thru tires as does the takeoff quickness. I used to do sep winter tires and summer but decided to just go 1 pair all WEATHER(NOT SEASON) FOR 2 YRS NOW WITH GOOD LUCK IN COLORADO

Last edited:
WELL worst case use the tread warrenty to get the next pair-thats what i do..my nokians wore fast too..the cc2 is way better so far...but teslas weight burns thru tires as does the takeoff quickness. I used to do sep winter tires and summer but decided to just go 1 pair all WEATHER(NOT SEASON) FOR 2 YRS NOW WITH GOOD LUCK IN COLORADO
I asked the guy in the tire shop (Discount Tire) if the CC2's last any longer than the Nokians and he said they are made of a similar softish rubber like the Nokians, so no.

I spend a couple of days each week in Summit Co. (high in Rockies' ski country for you non-Coloradans) in the winter and have been very happy with the tire's performance. it's just the wear that irks me.

Reactions: MattMac and impastu
Has anybody tried fitting a pair older 19s to a Plaid/LR? I need to get winters this year, and I'm hoping that tesla offers something soon. I found a cheap pair of the original split spoke 19s off a model S, before I buy want to make sure they fit on a Plaid. I noticed that for TSportline, their older 19s won't fit the new S.

Reactions: RAM_Eh
I ordered signature 19s and Pirelli staggered winters. More expensive than regurgitated 19s from an m earlier S but hoping I’ll love the look.

Attachments

• 595A5665-6C39-4B99-8E9E-5E3F8011D368.jpeg
    595A5665-6C39-4B99-8E9E-5E3F8011D368.jpeg
    788.2 KB · Views: 59
I asked the guy in the tire shop (Discount Tire) if the CC2's last any longer than the Nokians and he said they are made of a similar softish rubber like the Nokians, so no.

I spend a couple of days each week in Summit Co. (high in Rockies' ski country for you non-Coloradans) in the winter and have been very happy with the tire's performance. it's just the wear that irks me.
Well most tires on tesla wear fast....the nokian wore fast so i got the warrenty tread and applied the credit to the crossclimate2. lol...if they dont last will do it again and look for a better all weather tire. the nokian were quiet and so are the cross climate 2... anyone know a all weather tire that lasts better let us all know...19" here.

Right now you can get sottozeros for both front and rear of the stock 19" oem tire sizes. Although they are slightly different flavors of the Sottozeros so you have to order them as two orders of two. But I think more winter tires in the 19" size will come out anyday now. 19" will have more selection and stock (and perform better, especially for pot hole winter use) than the 20 or 21.

Well most tires on tesla wear fast....the nokian wore fast so i got the warrenty tread and applied the credit to the crossclimate2. lol...if they dont last will do it again and look for a better all weather tire. the nokian were quiet and so are the cross climate 2... anyone know a all weather tire that lasts better let us all know...19" here.
I’m on the 4th winter on Nokian Hakka 9’s. They are only worn down to the 8 markers (80% remaining). I put the car in chill when I put them on early October and leave it in chill until I switch back to summer tires in May.

I was using the Tesla-provided Pirelli Sottozero 19" on my Model S P85 and personally found them to be a disaster (no comparison point since it was my first wither with the Tesla).
This winter I decided giving a try to all season Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons here in Switzerland (reasons: price, reviews) and see how they go.

• Informative
I was using the Tesla-provided Pirelli Sottozero 19" on my Model S P85 and personally found them to be a disaster (no comparison point since it was my first wither with the Tesla).
This winter I decided giving a try to all season Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons here in Switzerland (reasons: price, reviews) and see how they go.
I've used both the Sottozero and Michelin X Ice through multiple Winters and found them to be excellent.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and impastu