Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my second set of Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires. They have been excellent in the now. only downside is rapid wear. They lasted 17K miles. My previous Michelin MXM4 and A/Ss3+ lasted between 25-30K miles (but weren't as good in winter).
am in colorado too...i run all weather tires all year. the nokians wear fast will see how the crossclimate 2 is this winter.

Reactions: impastu
i had the wr g4 on model s awd and they wore fast..and i did get credit at discount tire..so i put on the crossclimate 2 set for this winter..we will see...so far they drive well and low sound and good grip in colorado..but no snow yet
Interested in hearing your impressions and seeing the mileage.Those tires have been on my radar for years, but years ago when I wanted to give them a go I couldn’t find 245/45/19 anywhere in North America, and wasn’t about to ship them from overseas.

Taking into account new tires are more quiet than older tires, you think the crossclimate are more quiet than wrg4’s?

i had the wr g4 on model s awd and they wore fast..and i did get credit at discount tire..so i put on the crossclimate 2 set for this winter..we will see...so far they drive well and low sound and good grip in colorado..but no snow yet
I asked the guy at Discount tire about the Crossclimate and he said they will wear similar to the WRG4. Please let us know how yours do.

Interested in hearing your impressions and seeing the mileage.Those tires have been on my radar for years, but years ago when I wanted to give them a go I couldn’t find 245/45/19 anywhere in North America, and wasn’t about to ship them from overseas.

Taking into account new tires are more quiet than older tires, you think the crossclimate are more quiet than wrg4’s?
I liked the nokians alot and they worked great in winter(run them all year) but now trying the crossclimate 2..i got warrenty discount as the nokians didnt last long -from discount tire. We will see...The tread on the cc2 is different...so far great in the rain and in cold weather- waiting for snow.

I asked the guy at Discount tire about the Crossclimate and he said they will wear similar to the WRG4. Please let us know how yours do.
that may be true...could have got the same nokians but decided to go with something diff...when seeing the nokian next to the cc2 the cc2 looks more impressive off the car..lol...I usually ask for the tires to be rolled out(the choices) and i look them over..push on them..push on sidewalls etc...just so see the diff side by side..my gf thinks i am weird.

that may be true...could have got the same nokians but decided to go with something diff...when seeing the nokian next to the cc2 the cc2 looks more impressive off the car..lol...I usually ask for the tires to be rolled out(the choices) and i look them over..push on them..push on sidewalls etc...just so see the diff side by side..my gf thinks i am weird.
Yeah, well if she is like my wife she does that with purses.

The expression is KICK the tires :)

My local Discount Tire didn't have either in stock. I got them in Oct., and the place was a zoo. The svc mgr said it's always crazy busy this time of year.

A hopefully soon to be owner of a new 2021/22 Model S (Dec delivery date, but who really knows) and living in northern Vermont, I have usually always run separate wheels and tires for summer and winter wheels. My car will come delivered with 19" wheels with the 255/45 and 285/40 tire sizes. As of right now I do not know if all season tires are being delivered on these cars- I have to pick car up in Paramus NJ in the northern part of the state, so maybe all season? But for Vermont winters, I still prefer a snow tire.
The issue is the size. I asked the Tirerack what they would have that matched stock tire sizes and they have Vredstein Wintrac Pro tires. However, the rear tire size is only available in 275/40 in 19" wheel size. Hakkapelita also offers a winter non studded tire in this size as well. I assume this would work OK, not sure if it creates any issues with speedo or computer calibration for this size tire. My plan is to mount the winter tires on the stock wheels and get a different set of summer wheels (still 19" as Vt roads are bad) and remount the hopefully stock all season tires that come with the car on them. May as well use them up since I paid for them. I am leaning on Martian Wheels for summer setup as they seem to be the least expensive all forged wheel out there and I like the style.
Any experience with the slightly narrower tire size change on a Tesla Model S. Its not a huge difference but just want to make sure. Thanks!

Has anyone taken delivery of a refreshed Model S LR in a colder climate?

I'm slated to take delivery of one in Canada in early December where the weather may be well below the tolerable temperate on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires. Further, I dont see Tesla offering any winter wheels and the aftermarket wheels are on backorder.

Any ideas on how we are supposed to drive these cars home if it is freezing outside (or snows)?

Reactions: bhzmark and impastu
Has anyone taken delivery of a refreshed Model S LR in a colder climate?

I'm slated to take delivery of one in Canada in early December where the weather may be well below the tolerable temperate on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires. Further, I dont see Tesla offering any winter wheels and the aftermarket wheels are on backorder.

Any ideas on how we are supposed to drive these cars home if it is freezing outside (or snows)?
Have them deliver

• Funny
Reactions: Barry and bhzmark
I don't think we have the option to delay delivery past 3 days in Canada - if you don't accept it, they pass it on to the next guy.

Even if they deliver, I don't think I can have the car sit in my un-heated garage over the winter with the Pilot 4S as the temp will fall below 7 degrees.

How tight are the 21" wheels on the wheel wells? I found a few Model X tire sets that are 255/55/R20 that are 0.7 inches taller than the 21" stock arachnids. Wondering if that would work.