Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires and wheels for Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noob here. I have to be honest, I don't understand much about tire sizing so not sure how to really ask this question.

I live in Montana and plan on a set of studless winter tires/wheels for my '21 MYP (picked up just at the end of last quarter). No reason to stick with the 21" wheels so I figured I'd just order something with more sidewall and a bit narrower for snow season. I'm looking for suggestions for studless snow/ice tires and a set of decent looking wheels to put them on. I'm thinking a 19" wheel, but just don't understand the sizing and loading requirements and get a bit overwhelmed when looking online. If I order a set of 19" Gemini wheels, will they fit over the performance calipers? Any other recommendations for wheels?

If I do go with 19" 3rd party wheels, what do I do about sidewall diameter and width of tires?

My local shop that does my wife's tires and my former Jeep tires is a Point S (Interwest Tire) but we just had a Les Schwab open up in the area as well.

Thanks in advance.

The 19" Gemini wheels will fit the Performance Model Y. It will be easier, simpler if you stick with the OE tire size for the 19" Gemini wheels - 255/45R-19 even you you decide to purchase different 19" wheels.. The 19" Gemini wheel size is 19" X 9.5". More detailed wheel specifications for the Tesla Model Y can be found here: The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Tire Rack has winter wheel and tire packages for the Model Y. You will need a set of 4 Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) sensors specifically made for the 2021 Tesla Model 3, Model Y. If the TPMS sensors are not in stock then you can contact your Tesla Service Center to order a set of the TPMS sensors. This means that you will have to have the TPMS installed in the new wheels, tires mounted and balanced locally as Tire Rack can't mount the tires without the TPMS sensors.

Tesla specifies Extra Load (XL) tires for the Model Y so any studless winter tires should be XL tires. In addition there is a load index number value. This is specified by Tesla as 104 (for the 19" Gemini wheels) but 101 for the 20" Induction Wheels. The load index of the 275/35R-21 tires used on the rear of the Performance Model Y is 103, the front tires are 255/35R-21 and have load index of 98.

The speed rating of the OE performance summer tires is W (168 MPH) but for winter tires you will find tires with a speed rating of T (118 MPH ), H (130 MPH) or V (149).

Let Tire Rack or your local tire shop guide you in the selection of the proper load index for the Performance Model Y with the wheels you select.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2uH0qOK28wIVhZ6zCh05Gwa2EAAYASAAEgIN6vD_BwE&techid=35&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI2uH0qOK28wIVhZ6zCh05Gwa2EAAYASAAEgIN6vD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!354820920362!e!!g!!tire speed ratings&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Reactions: gigawhat?
I purchased some barely used 19" Gemini wheels with TPMS locally and had some 255/45/R19 Sottozero 3s mounted to them. That was as cheap or cheaper than other options I found. If you want a simple package that looks like Tesla OEM wheels and comes to you ready to go, I would look here:

Noob here. I have to be honest, I don't understand much about tire sizing so not sure how to really ask this question.

I live in Montana and plan on a set of studless winter tires/wheels for my '21 MYP (picked up just at the end of last quarter). No reason to stick with the 21" wheels so I figured I'd just order something with more sidewall and a bit narrower for snow season. I'm looking for suggestions for studless snow/ice tires and a set of decent looking wheels to put them on. I'm thinking a 19" wheel, but just don't understand the sizing and loading requirements and get a bit overwhelmed when looking online. If I order a set of 19" Gemini wheels, will they fit over the performance calipers? Any other recommendations for wheels?

If I do go with 19" 3rd party wheels, what do I do about sidewall diameter and width of tires?

My local shop that does my wife's tires and my former Jeep tires is a Point S (Interwest Tire) but we just had a Les Schwab open up in the area as well.

Thanks in advance.
Hey man - I'm also in MT (Bozeman) and just went through this same exercise. I ended up ordering Fast Replika R241 wheels in 19"x9.5" +45 offset and some 255/45/19 Nokian Hakka R3's. Like others have said, the Gemini's will work, but they're hard to find (I tried). Ultimately, the aftermarket wheels were the best play. As far as weight ratings, that's why I went with the 19" x 9.5" as they had a higher load rating than the 19" x 8.5" that a lof of people go with. For tires, XL load rating is what you want.

I'll be psyched to see you around! My Blue MYP is scheduled for delivery in late November / Early December.

Reactions: minnesnowta
I'm looking into a set for the MYLR I'm picking up in a week...shopping around and Les Schwab's site says these will work, but not sure...they're 18 x 8 (vs. the 8.5 width some go to)...and offset is +40. Will they still work? (Not sure what rubber to match them up with, yet...trying to get my hands on a wheel first)

I have a MYP coming in the next two months and copied Montucky and have ordered the same 19x9.5 R241 Replica wheels (currently backordered about 4 weeks [hopefully]) and the same Hakka R3 XL as well in 255/45/19. They have an SUV version of the tire, but it is impossible to find right now, and the only advantage is an aramid side wall which gives it some extra durability supposedly on the side, but who knows, could just be a gimmick.

The Hakkapellita R3 or Veredstein Wintrac or Michelin Xice3 or Blizzak WS80/WS90 or Sottozero 3 are gonna be the tires you wanna look at for high performance winter studless tire.

Good luck in your search. Had to call 5 different tire places to get what I was looking for.

As stated above, you will need to get the TPMS from Tesla, but good luck with that. You'll need to get them from Tesla and you might have to wait until you get the car in hand. Or you could try walking into your local Tesla dealership and buying that way.

Reactions: Montucky
I have a MYP coming in the next two months and copied Montucky and have ordered the same 19x9.5 R241 Replica wheels (currently backordered about 4 weeks [hopefully]) and the same Hakka R3 XL as well in 255/45/19. They have an SUV version of the tire, but it is impossible to find right now, and the only advantage is an aramid side wall which gives it some extra durability supposedly on the side, but who knows, could just be a gimmick.

The Hakkapellita R3 or Veredstein Wintrac or Michelin Xice3 or Blizzak WS80/WS90 or Sottozero 3 are gonna be the tires you wanna look at for high performance winter studless tire.

Good luck in your search. Had to call 5 different tire places to get what I was looking for.

As stated above, you will need to get the TPMS from Tesla, but good luck with that. You'll need to get them from Tesla and you might have to wait until you get the car in hand. Or you could try walking into your local Tesla dealership and buying that way.

Hakka SUV saved my Replika rim last night. Got too close to the curb.

All the Sottozero seem to be magnets for nails in the side walls. I've had the misfortune of 3 in the last year and a half.

Do any of you know more about the SUV tire that was mentioned?

I just got my Hakka R3's (non-suv) installed on my 19 inch replika wheels. I've gotta say they are incredibly squishy compared to the summer tires that come on the car. I expected the squish to be there as it normally is on winter tires, but boy oh boy it certainly takes away from stability and handling. Car feels like its driving around on 4 small floaty clouds. I'm sure they'll live up to their reputation as it gets colder and we start to see some snow in the north east, but I can't wait to put the summers back on.

I saw in another thread that someone offered to swap their 21 inch rears for my 21 inch fronts. Anyone done this and have any experience or notes to share on what this swap would be like compared to the stock staggered set?

MSW 20” wheels with Blizaks.

299869CE-F4A7-4032-8058-492AFF61AE5E.jpeg

I went with a set of 20x8.5 Enkei TSR-X's with Michelin Crossclimate 2's in 245/40/20. Though not technically snow tires, they are snow rated and seem to be held in high esteem by those who must deal with a lot of the white stuff. Add to that the compound will be far more durable and apt to take what an MYP will dish out, longevity wise and I don't think it's a terrible idea. But we shall see.

i-LLwStRs-X2.jpg

Reactions: Oldguy
Hey man - I'm also in MT (Bozeman) and just went through this same exercise. I ended up ordering Fast Replika R241 wheels in 19"x9.5" +45 offset and some 255/45/19 Nokian Hakka R3's. Like others have said, the Gemini's will work, but they're hard to find (I tried). Ultimately, the aftermarket wheels were the best play. As far as weight ratings, that's why I went with the 19" x 9.5" as they had a higher load rating than the 19" x 8.5" that a lof of people go with. For tires, XL load rating is what you want.

I'll be psyched to see you around! My Blue MYP is scheduled for delivery in late November / Early December.
I take it - you got your car by now?

I take it - you got your car by now?
No dude... It's been a process! I was out of the country when my car came available, so I opted to have it delivered by 3rd party carrier, and it arrived damaged. I would never recoomend going that route in the winter. Maybe it'll work in the summer, but sloppy roads and porous trailers don't mix well with a new car. Tesla took it back, so now I'm waiting for another VIN... and this time I'm flying down to SLC to pick it up! My EDD is currently "TBD" so no idea when I'll actually take delivery. My winter wheels and tires are still sitting in a tire shop in SLC waiting for the car.

No dude... It's been a process! I was out of the country when my car came available, so I opted to have it delivered by 3rd party carrier, and it arrived damaged. I would never recoomend going that route in the winter. Maybe it'll work in the summer, but sloppy roads and porous trailers don't mix well with a new car. Tesla took it back, so now I'm waiting for another VIN... and this time I'm flying down to SLC to pick it up! My EDD is currently "TBD" so no idea when I'll actually take delivery. My winter wheels and tires are still sitting in a tire shop in SLC waiting for the car.
That's what I did. I flew to SLC, took an Uber to the SC and picked it up at 10am. Drove straight to a detail shop (Justins Detail in Murry) and had PPF applied to the back two doors. There was a 4 day delay. I was supposed to pick it up on a Friday, but there was a huge snow storm in Denver that shut the Interstate down so the Carrier couldn't make it through. Had to reschedule my plane hotel reservations 10 hours before I was supposed to leave. Hassle - but it worked out OK. Spent the day goofing around in SLC - stayed the night and drove home the next morning. Stopped in Pocatello and then in Lima to refill the 'tank.'

Reactions: Montucky
The 19" Gemini wheels will fit the Performance Model Y. It will be easier, simpler if you stick with the OE tire size for the 19" Gemini wheels - 255/45R-19 even you you decide to purchase different 19" wheels.. The 19" Gemini wheel size is 19" X 9.5". More detailed wheel specifications for the Tesla Model Y can be found here: The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Tire Rack has winter wheel and tire packages for the Model Y. You will need a set of 4 Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) sensors specifically made for the 2021 Tesla Model 3, Model Y. If the TPMS sensors are not in stock then you can contact your Tesla Service Center to order a set of the TPMS sensors. This means that you will have to have the TPMS installed in the new wheels, tires mounted and balanced locally as Tire Rack can't mount the tires without the TPMS sensors.

Tesla specifies Extra Load (XL) tires for the Model Y so any studless winter tires should be XL tires. In addition there is a load index number value. This is specified by Tesla as 104 (for the 19" Gemini wheels) but 101 for the 20" Induction Wheels. The load index of the 275/35R-21 tires used on the rear of the Performance Model Y is 103, the front tires are 255/35R-21 and have load index of 98.

The speed rating of the OE performance summer tires is W (168 MPH) but for winter tires you will find tires with a speed rating of T (118 MPH ), H (130 MPH) or V (149).

Let Tire Rack or your local tire shop guide you in the selection of the proper load index for the Performance Model Y with the wheels you select.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2uH0qOK28wIVhZ6zCh05Gwa2EAAYASAAEgIN6vD_BwE&techid=35&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI2uH0qOK28wIVhZ6zCh05Gwa2EAAYASAAEgIN6vD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!354820920362!e!!g!!tire speed ratings&gclsrc=aw.ds

I wanted to get the 19" gemini but Tesla Website and Service Center confirmed it is not compatible because of the brake caliper size. 2020 MY Performance with Performance Upgrade.

Website reads: Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels.

Thoughts??

I wanted to get the 19" gemini but Tesla Website and Service Center confirmed it is not compatible because of the brake caliper size. 2020 MY Performance with Performance Upgrade.

Website reads: Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels.

Thoughts??
The Tesla website states, regarding the 19" Gemini wheel and winter tire package "Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels." (Tesla has the same disclaimer for the 20" Induction wheel and winter tire package.) On the web site Tesla does not state why the 19" wheels are not compatible with the Performance Model Y. There are many Performance Model Y owners who have replaced the OE 21" wheels with the 19" Gemini wheels or the 20" Induction wheels and report no issue with these wheels fitting the Performance Model Y.

My observation, one possible reason, why Tesla states the 19" wheel and winter tire package and 20" wheel and winter tire packages are not compatible with the Performance Model Y may be due to the speed rating of the Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 tires (speed rating of V (149 MPH). The Performance Model Y has a top speed of 155 MPH. From a liability standpoint Tesla has to state that the 19" and 20" winter tire packages are not compatible even though there is no issue with the fitment and the brake calipers on the Performance Model Y. My observation may not be the reason.