Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's about right.
I wear-off a set of summer tires (Michelin PS4S's) every 1-1.5 years, and a set of winters (X-Ice 3's, and now Hakka's) every 2 years.

HTH,
a
Do the Hakkas last longer than the Michelins? I had a set of Hakkas on my last car, A Q50 Hybrid AWD. They seem to wear pretty good. Had I kept the car I would project a useful life of at least 20K miles of winter driving..

Do the Hakkas last longer than the Michelins? I had a set of Hakkas on my last car, A Q50 Hybrid AWD. They seem to wear pretty good. Had I kept the car I would project a useful life of at least 20K miles of winter driving..

Definitely maybe, but I am not certain yet.
I have had them for 1 winter so far vs. 2 for Michelins, and the latter were down to 4-5/32nds.
You don't want to keep winter tiers past 4/32nds, when they turn into all seasons. The usable treadlife of a winter tire is way shorter than that of the summers. Once my X-Ices hit 4/32nds, I finished them off during spring/early summer, and replaced them with R3's.

As of right now, my Hakka R3's are down to between 7-9/32nds (they start at 10/32). Rears got more wear. Rears and fronts get swapped for the second year, so maybe they will last longer.
I also went with 10mm wider 245/45R18 tires for extra stability (and will do the same for the summers the next time around). Wider rubber contact patch spreads the wear, and reduced squirm probably minimizes the wear during appropriately enthusiastic turns.

Words of caution about Hakka R3's:
  • The V-shaped tread pattern is noisier on the highway, and can get bothersome on longer drives.
  • They were made in Russia. I would not count on their availability at all, definitely not at the old price points.
HTH,
a

P.S.: My next set of winters will be a return to either Michelin Ice-series or Blizzak's.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I'm running Pirelli PZero Winters this season, So far low noise level and good characteristics on dry pavement. We'll see what the all important Snow/Ice handling characteristics when the flakes start flying.

I used up my Pirelli Sottozero 3s in about that much as well... I went through a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ in two summers as well. The car had 32000km after both those sets were dead. I have run Continental VikingContact 7s for a winter now, they should hold a second winter but I don't expect much more. Running Pirelli PZero AS+ this summer and I also don't expect them to last much more than two seasons.

My model 3 eats tires for breakfast :p It's a heavy car, AWD, with a huge amount of torque. I believe it's normal.

EDIT: Yes, I'm under the impression that Nokian Hakkapelliitas tend to last a bit more. They lasted well on my previous cars. They are also the best winter tires you can buy, but they are pricey.