Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires, or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DC is usually pretty mild, and when it isn't the place shuts down. Save your cash, I have used all season Michele MXV-4's for 7 years on my two rear wheel drive Model S's.

If you must, check these new tires out, but trade them back to Summer or all seasons when the temperatures get above 50 degrees.

The VikingContact 7 is Continental's Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for drivers of sedans, crossovers, coupes and minivans looking for enhanced winter confidence through advanced technology. Designed to deliver excellent traction in wintertime slush, snow and ice plus reliable wet performance and secure dry-road handling, the VikingContact 7 is optimized for a variety of winter weather.

The specialized Nordic compound of the VikingContact 7 utilizes canola oil to remain flexible and adapt to snowy or icy conditions, and active grip silica enhances wet performance and braking. The compound is molded into an intelligent pattern with a groove network designed to create a direct path to evacuate water and slush from beneath the contact patch. The optimized void ratio ensures there is always a high volume of rubber on the road for confident tracking and high-speed control. Solid linkages and special interlocked block bridges stabilize the tread pattern while also keeping grooves open for water and slush drainage. The VikingContact 7's 3D sipes feature varying thicknesses. While all the sipes create biting edges for grip in slippery conditions, the wider sipes form snow pockets that collect snow from the surface and hold it in the pattern, creating snow-to-snow traction for improved performance. Grip Edges on the outside of the tread blocks grab into snow and effectively increase the contact area of the tire, further enhancing traction on snow- and ice-covered roads.

My first winter owning my Model S (RWD), I got nervous and bought a set of Pirelli Sottozeroes from the Service Center. It became a pain having each set of tires mounted & balanced once a year, so I found a good deal on a used second set of wheels (which, to my surprise, came with almost new Goodyear Eagle Touring tires). So now that I have two sets mounted, I change over twice a year with my own equipment in the driveway.

Is it worth it? Depends on the type of winter we get. If there's a substantial snowfall that leaves some streets slick for a few days, I feel better (and notice a clear difference) driving with the winter tires.

I also have Michelin X-Ice tires on my RWD Model S. I've been quite happy with them driving around in our winters here in Central New Jersey. It makes a big difference and it's a nice peace of mind to know you won't get trapped somewhere if the weather suddenly changes.

I've come to the conclusion that a good set of winter tires easily outperforms AWD and dual drive with all season tires. Before the MS, I drove a Subaru Outback on which I did not put any winter tires the first couple of winters because of the AWD. I then got snow tires for the third winter with the car and it was night and day difference, even with Subaru's legendary AWD. That car was a winter monster with that combination - the downside was my boss wouldn't let me work from home on snow days anymore...

flipb - Love the yellow 914 in your photo. Ever tempted to do a electric conversion to it?

flipb - Love the yellow 914 in your photo. Ever tempted to do a electric conversion to it?

Thanks! I'd undergone an engine rebuild shortly before I got the Model S and installed a home L2 circuit. So I'm keeping the 914 relatively true to its era for now. (It's actually stuck in the garage with a dead fuel pump at the moment.)

Here's a favorite photo, "2 cars, 4 trunks"
IMG_0008.JPG

I have heard it said that you don't need snow tires if you have a Tesla. You may reconsider that, I found Michelin X ice tires made a huge
difference when driving in the snow. Did not notice the difference in the first winter, but by the time year two came around it became more difficult to go up hills even small hills. I invested in the X Ice tires and Philadelphia doesn't have large hills. Well, most of the city does not have large hills. That section of Philly that does, I just don't go there in the winter/snow.

Not everyone can do this, but if we get 6 to 8 inches I just don't drive for a day maybe two. Give the DOT a chance to clear the roads.

Have always used winter tires on all cars. Lived in WI, VA, MD and now PA. Started years ago with rear wheel drive ICEs. Winter tires help you stop ... the tires themselves handle better at lower temperatures whether or not there is snow or ice on the road. Right now have the Pirelli Sotto 3 on our Model S, they work fine but tread life is not so good, could not find another company with the rated speed range ... on my third pair averaging just under 20K miles a set. Our model 3 has Pirelli Soto 2, not that good of a tire (compared to Soto 3 or Michelle, which I've used in the past and are referenced by others here) but wanted to have a second set of Tesla wheels (have after market on the model S).

Reactions: jthompson
Still running on the stock OEM all seasons (have the base ‘aero’ rims) and so far holding up well in the first winter out here in the mid-Atlantic. Based on my miles, should be time for replacement tires close to next winter, so if timing is right, I may switch out to solid winter tires on the stock rims for the next winter season, and then get brand new 19” high end rims/performance summer tire set afterwards. Since tires on our models typically last for @ 20,000 - 25,000 miles, might be handy to have two rims/tire sets.