Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Weather Protection

What did those of you who have to deal with winter (snow, sleet, ice, salt, sand) do to protect M3?

• Nothing - just drive and hit the automated car wash

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Wax on Wax off - at home (periodically)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Professional wax job (periodically)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Full Ceramic

• Front PPF

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Full PPF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full PPF with Full Cermic on top

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading a lot about paint protection options... mostly PPF and/or Ceramic (all of which I believe requires hand washing once applied). For those of us who live where the temperature is regularly below freezing and winter weather is a factor (snow, sleet, rain, salt, sand, calcium chloride, etc...) I'm wondering what protection you went with. Poll below.

I've been reading a lot about paint protection options... mostly PPF and/or Ceramic (all of which I believe requires hand washing once applied). For those of us who live where the temperature is regularly below freezing and winter weather is a factor (snow, sleet, rain, salt, sand, calcium chloride, etc...) I'm wondering what protection you went with. Poll below.

It's actually "Poll above", but I can't edit my original post.

I was also going to add an option to the poll ("Front PPF with Full Ceramic on top"), but I can't edit the poll either.

PPF doesn't require hand washing.

What kind of automatic car wash does PPF survive?

I can't imagine the types with the spinning brushes or rotating cloth would do it any good. That leaves touchless (where they only use sprayers) or touchless with guys in raincoats manually wiping the car down with cloths/sponges.

What type of (automated) car wash have you had good luck with (with PPF)?

Front PPF and rocker PPF, with small mudflaps to protect against sandblasting.

Rocker PPF isn't something I had considered, but seems like a good idea.

Do you have a link to the mudflaps you used? All my cars have had either factory or dealer installed mudflaps... except this one. When turned to the side, the spray from the front wheels can really make a mess of the sides of the car (as can the rear - but less so... since they don't turn sideways).

What kind of automatic car wash does PPF survive?

I can't imagine the types with the spinning brushes or rotating cloth would do it any good. That leaves touchless (where they only use sprayers) or touchless with guys in raincoats manually wiping the car down with cloths/sponges.

What type of (automated) car wash have you had good luck with (with PPF)?
The touchless kind.

Rocker PPF isn't something I had considered, but seems like a good idea.

Do you have a link to the mudflaps you used? All my cars have had either factory or dealer installed mudflaps... except this one. When turned to the side, the spray from the front wheels can really make a mess of the sides of the car (as can the rear - but less so... since they don't turn sideways).
Yes, the carbon fiber ones at protectmytesla.com. Pricey. They protect the sides well enough, but the bottom is pretty much flush with the bottom of the rocker, so the rockers still need protection, that's why DIY PPF'd those. carprotectionpros.com and invisiblemask.com

I think the "california" model from the Canadian supplier is probably a better fit, as it reaches down another 1"+ below the rocker, while maintaining a slim profile. And, of course, there are numerous cheap offerings now, for under $50. When I installed mine, there were no cheap offerings unless you bought the generic rubber mudflaps and cut it to shape yourself. Several folks have done that and they look good! Much cheaper.