Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers gone wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model X is a week old. Today the backup camera went out. I hit the reset (two steering wheel buttons and brake presses and held til the T’a show up). Fixed the camera.

Now the wipers are going mad. It wiped automatically when I entered the garage and flung the left wiper off the windshield. Now it does it every time. See picture.

Anyone else have this problem?
BADFB129-9F48-499C-A14F-C0F196BC1C00.jpeg

Attachments

• 95504ABC-99A8-44C4-B061-796589642797.jpeg
    95504ABC-99A8-44C4-B061-796589642797.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Funny
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Wow - sorry to see that your wiper assembly went bananas. Hopefully you are not too far from the service center: that definitely is a trip there to have it fixed. Sure hope it did not mess up your paint? Be sure to immediately turn off autowipers (in touchscreen menus) so it doesn't try to swipe any more until it is fixed.

The auto-wipers are the biggest failing of the Model X design IMHO. They have a mind of their own: turn on at weird times, and especially wait too long before they decide to wipe in the misty rain we get here in the northwest.

I permanently turned off the auto-wipers on my X (via that touchscreen menu). In that case, the stalk rotates with three wiper positions: off, slow, fast - kind of like an old 1980's Chevy pickup. I won't buy another Tesla until Tesla starts using a standard rain sensor that has worked for the last 20 years on other cars (some of the older Tesla's did use a standard rain sensor) . Elon generated an edict that the wipers must run from the neural networks using the existing cameras - and it has never worked right. You'll find folks that say the auto-wipers work fine for them but they are truly awful here in the northwest. There is a great video from Andrej Karpathy (Tesla's AI director) that talks about how it is harder to recognize rain in neural networks than it is to run autopilot - and I suspect he is the world's most knowledgeable expert on automotive Artificial Intelligence software!

Last edited:
It both shocked me and caused me to crack up. What other luxury car automatically and violently flings parts around?

I have no doubt it can be fixed. It is just hilarious to see it happen. Maybe Elon can call it a new Easter egg.

Haven't seen that before. I'm thinking the wipers have a learned range of where the windshield is, and yours have now forgotten.

With most of the learning (like the auto windows,) you manually bring it to the bottom of the range, then to the top and back down and it remembers. I'm not sure how you'd do that with the wipers, though.

Seems like a potential safety issue - definitely call service for help.