Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wire size for long run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to run power to my garage for the nema 14-50, 240V outlets. Unfortunately for me, the breaker is on the other end of the house and my basement is completely finished. I've already fished a rope in the ceiling, so I'm ready to go with the wire.

Because this is a difficult run, I want to future proof it and install 100-amp service into the garage with a sub panel and potential for two nema14-50 outlets. The run length out to the garage is 80 feet.

The problem I'm running into is sizing the wire. I've checked a few online wiring size calculators and they all say I should be running 1AWG wire. However, I had an electrician give me a quote and he quoted me for 3awg copper wire. I've also seen many references to using 3awg wire for 100-amp service online and Tesla recommends 6awg for 50 amp service.

Am I crazy? Why do the online wire size calculators recommend 1awg wire? Which is correct?

I'm planning to run power to my garage for the nema 14-50, 240V outlets. Unfortunately for me, the breaker is on the other end of the house and my basement is completely finished. I've already fished a rope in the ceiling, so I'm ready to go with the wire.

Because this is a difficult run, I want to future proof it and install 100-amp service into the garage with a sub panel and potential for two nema14-50 outlets. The run length out to the garage is 80 feet.

The problem I'm running into is sizing the wire. I've checked a few online wiring size calculators and they all say I should be running 1AWG wire. However, I had an electrician give me a quote and he quoted me for 3awg copper wire. I've also seen many references to using 3awg wire for 100-amp service online and Tesla recommends 6awg for 50 amp service.

Am I crazy? Why do the online wire size calculators recommend 1awg wire? Which is correct?
My run is 65 feet from my panel. My electrician used 6 awg and it was inspected by my town electrical inspector.

Fishing a wire through the ceiling sounds dodgy? How do you suggest I get wire from one end of my house to the other with a finished basement?

By the way, the builders ran wire in the ceiling. It's not some crazy idea.
You technically have to attach the cable to a support member every so many inches. Laying it on top of the dry wall is not to code last time I checked during a kitchen reno. You need to cut small pieces of drywall to perform the attaching. For a 100amp circuit, I would certainly not lay it over the drywall.

Edit: As noted in a previous post, armored cable can be played on drywall.

Fishing a wire through the ceiling sounds dodgy? How do you suggest I get wire from one end of my house to the other with a finished basement?

By the way, the builders ran wire in the ceiling. It's not some crazy idea.
VT_EE said it. You can't just like wire lay on things for long distances. That's why an electrician may end up having to ditch around the house to be able to run it.