Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiring harness fault / defect - 2nd time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS90D. Tesla service shop found damage to 12V and Canbus wires inside of the harness / loom. This time it was inside of the right front wheel skirt, 5 months ago the same type of fault was located in the wiring harness near the front motor. Both times the car was fine the day before, next morning multiple warnings and the car would barely move.
Very concerned as to the integrity of the balance of the wiring in the car and when the next failure may be. Also, possibility of wire overheating / fire is now a concern.
Anyone else had the same issue?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 299bd921-23eb-496d-b843-7ae303bdfd66.jpg
    299bd921-23eb-496d-b843-7ae303bdfd66.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 4109ad45-a058-4cac-b4dc-38232876a8f6.jpg
    4109ad45-a058-4cac-b4dc-38232876a8f6.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 112
Hey there, just joined and saw your thread. I think I might be dealing with a similar issue. Mine differed where it occurred while driving and DTC’s popped up for reduced power and front drive motor disconnected (did these codes come up for you as well?). At the time I thought there could be an issue with the drive motor itself and it had a month of power train warranty left so I took it in last week. As fate would have it, the motor is apparently fine and they said that the harness is faulty and needs replaced to the tune of 3000$ parts and labor. I declined to have them repair it since the car is driveable and the fault goes away once it’s turned off. Anyways I would be interested to hear anything you may have figured out.

Upvote 0
Front wiring harness failure for my new 2023 S LR, 2500 miles and two months old. Quite surprised and concerned.

I was somewhat lucky, am on a vacation trip but car was in a hotel parking space, had a warning message about front drive unit and refused to shift into forward or reverse. Got it towed to closest service center, and they have ordered new harnesses for both front drive unit and “front sub assembly”, not being sure from diagnostics whether it is one or the other or both. Covered by warranty of course, but will take almost a week to get the parts. Good thing I have family nearby.

I am sure hoping this is rare, but perhaps not?

Upvote 0
Quite rare and very expensive to fix. Sounds like the cable was partly damaged, either when the cable was made, or perhaps when the car was assembled. Under normal vehicle vibrations, it then failed. Cable faults are also often hard to diagnose, as these kinds of failures are so rare. It takes a good tech to identify the issue as there is about a mile of wire in a typical car today.

Upvote 0
To make a long story short, I did find a fix on mine not saying that it is everyone’s solution. I had a weak connection at the connector for the front drive motor. On the harness side of the connector I could feel wires were loose inside and every time I moved them I could hear the car fault out. Wrapped a small section of gorilla tape around the wires to keep them tight in the connector and haven’t had an issue since.

Upvote 0