Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonder of wonders - an actual Tesla advertisement!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far everyone appears to assume that Tesla Motors paid for this ad to appear in this relatively obscure print magazine with likely a modest circulation.
I have some editorial experience in the small magazine business, and I can tell you that it is not unusual for advertisers to cancel ads just before a print deadline and then the magazine has to fill the space. What can happen is that the space is given away or a company that does not even advertise in the magazine is given space in an attempt to convince them to start paying for ad space.
It is possible that this magazine had unexpected space available and thought it would look cool to make it appear that Tesla was an advertiser. So they go to Telsa's online file of press photos, use one in the ad (and the one they picked was years old, by the way) and whip up some copy and plug it in.
The copy in this ad is uninspired and outdated. The photo is old. It does not look like something Tesla would come up with.
My chain of reasoning here may appear thin to some, but think about it: why would Tesla spend money on a single ad in a relatively obscure print magazine and nowhere else in traditional media? If Tesla is going to start running print magazine ads they have the money to select much higher circulation, higher profile well known magazines. Thank you for posting that information, and it may explain a lot. There may have been page space available and Leilani got the ear of the editor to give Tesla some free promotion. Good for her if that was the case.
Note: regarding the magazine's claim of 150,000 circulation, that is a relatively small number in the US print magazine business, and small publications like that often do not have that figure audited by an independent firm. Such circulation figures are routinely exaggerated to make publications seem larger than they actually are and to attract advertisers. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out how that business world works.

I believe you totally nailed it here. No different than the video production companies that have produced elaborate spec television commercials "for Tesla," no doubt in hopes of getting some business from them. Tesla even posted one of those commercials on its web site, but more as an enthusiast piece than an advertisement. I doubt whether any money changed hands.

I believe you totally nailed it here. No different than the video production companies that have produced elaborate spec television commercials "for Tesla," no doubt in hopes of getting some business from them. Tesla even posted one of those commercials on its web site, but more as an enthusiast piece than an advertisement. I doubt whether any money changed hands.

+1 Maybe the magazine payed Tesla for the rights to use that pic ;).

This would not be the first dip of the toe into the water.

There was briefly a billboard on the ontario ramp to dan ryan expressway in Chicago in August. Don't drive that route frequently, so I don't know how long it was there, but it is gone now. Meant to post, but totally forgot until this thread.

FullSizeRender.jpg