Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worse wh/km after charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so I took my 3p on its first real road trip this weekend. Prior to the trip I was getting 156 wh/km over my 2000kms driven so far which has been mostly around town. I was very pleasantly surprised with this as I've mostly driven in sport mode, mostly driven like a jackass and made minimal effort to get good efficiency. On the trip I struggled to get near this number, obviously driving too fast, around 115 - 125kph (70-75mph) which I know is outside the optimal efficiency range. At best I think I got into the high 170s, but spent most of the trip in the 190s or 200s. I'm not complaining at all about this and I know compared to other EVs, these numbers are great but I noticed immidiatly after supercharging my efficiency would tank. Within a mile or two of leaving the supercharger, I'd be in the 280s which is the highest I've ever seen it. It would very slowly tick away eventually making its way down to 200 but that could take near an hour of driving to get. I wouldn't say I was accelerating overly hard to get up to highway speed but regardless, even if I was flooring it for 4 or 5 seconds, I'd think this would barely have an effect on the average after just a couple of minutes. Also it seemed like my charge would go down considerably faster, the higher the charge. Based on this, one might conclude the car uses more energy when at a higher state of charge, perhaps it runs cooling fans and pumps at higher rates? I'm not complaining simply curious as to why this might be.

I have not heard of any efficiency effects versus charge level or Supercharging. You may be seeing energy usage while sitting stationary (climate on before moving for example) inflating your initial wh/km when you first start moving, which then trends back to normal as that initial energy spike becomes a smaller part of the total energy used. That is normal.

Certainly efficiency takes a big hit with speed, also headwinds, rain, severe cold, increasing elevation, and more. It can be difficult to compare accurately when conditions can vary quite a bit.

Hey guys so I took my 3p on its first real road trip this weekend. Prior to the trip I was getting 156 wh/km over my 2000kms driven so far which has been mostly around town. I was very pleasantly surprised with this as I've mostly driven in sport mode, mostly driven like a jackass and made minimal effort to get good efficiency. On the trip I struggled to get near this number, obviously driving too fast, around 115 - 125kph (70-75mph) which I know is outside the optimal efficiency range. At best I think I got into the high 170s, but spent most of the trip in the 190s or 200s. I'm not complaining at all about this and I know compared to other EVs, these numbers are great but I noticed immidiatly after supercharging my efficiency would tank. Within a mile or two of leaving the supercharger, I'd be in the 280s which is the highest I've ever seen it. It would very slowly tick away eventually making its way down to 200 but that could take near an hour of driving to get. I wouldn't say I was accelerating overly hard to get up to highway speed but regardless, even if I was flooring it for 4 or 5 seconds, I'd think this would barely have an effect on the average after just a couple of minutes. Also it seemed like my charge would go down considerably faster, the higher the charge. Based on this, one might conclude the car uses more energy when at a higher state of charge, perhaps it runs cooling fans and pumps at higher rates? I'm not complaining simply curious as to why this might be.

If you want to see how long it does take to average out your initial acceleration, just get up to highway speed, then hit 'reset' on the "since h:mm" trip, and after a while of driving compare that to the "since last charge" trip. They might only be a couple km apart, but the Wh/km could be quite significantly different just from that initial acceleration.

I even notice the average really dropping down just when I decel off the hwy coming home from work.

If anything, if there is actual higher consumption after your SC session, it's not because the car is less efficient at high SoC, but more like there's extra cooling going on if your battery is still 'too hot'.

Speed is a massive factor on consumption though ... 110 to 120 km/hr will see a massive increase.

I have not heard of any efficiency effects versus charge level or Supercharging. You may be seeing energy usage while sitting stationary (climate on before moving for example) inflating your initial wh/km when you first start moving, which then trends back to normal as that initial energy spike becomes a smaller part of the total energy used. That is normal.

Certainly efficiency takes a big hit with speed, also headwinds, rain, severe cold, increasing elevation, and more. It can be difficult to compare accurately when conditions can vary quite a bit.

First real road trip and I was trying to stretch it as far as I could, so I literally made sure everyone was buckled, ready to go, ran over unplugged with the door open ran back and hit the road, highway on-ramp is maybe 10 seconds from the charger in this case.

If you want to see how long it does take to average out your initial acceleration, just get up to highway speed, then hit 'reset' on the "since h:mm" trip, and after a while of driving compare that to the "since last charge" trip. They might only be a couple km apart, but the Wh/km could be quite significantly different just from that initial acceleration.

I even notice the average really dropping down just when I decel off the hwy coming home from work.

If anything, if there is actual higher consumption after your SC session, it's not because the car is less efficient at high SoC, but more like there's extra cooling going on if your battery is still 'too hot'.

Speed is a massive factor on consumption though ... 110 to 120 km/hr will see a massive increase.

Good advice, will try resetting it once on the road next time after SC but I'm really leaning towards there being extra cooling going on after supercharging and it taking a long time to gradually cool the battery back down.

This is easy. The faster you go, the worse the range. Look at the energy graphs when on the highway and keep a speed for 20 - 30 km. Then change speed but 10 kph and see the energy graph change.
The change isn't small.

For example, current record about 600 miles at 30mph

I didn't have the car plugged in this morning on my way to work and I was getting 160 wh/km at 115km/h the temperature was almost exactly the same as when I noticed this hiccup with bad wh/km. I know there are some variables and speed certainly doesn't help but like I was saying, I think normal for 115-120kph is around 160-200ish. Going 10-20kph outside ideal efficiency on its own shouldn't reflect a 40-75% decrease in efficiency. There has to be something else going on here like coolant pumps running extra coolant when the battery is warm from SC.

Your values are normal. When you accelerate from the Supercharger your consumption goes into 400 and more. There is an efficiency+ trip calculation chart. Either reset the trip meter or look at that chart. Also, sometimes you go uphill or you get head wind etc.

I suggest to watch the Videos of Björn Nyland if you haven't already. This will teach you a lot of basics and optimum speed, consumption, time to charge, battery temperature and more.

I also have some road trips where I floored my Model 3 on my YouTube channel, TeslaKiller If you don't care for consumption and can drive faster, do it, your average trip speed will increase.

Reactions: SupraDude