Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you get this repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my MYP on 08.31 from the Paramus, NJ location. Upon delivery I noticed two defects. First was the infamous spoiler coming off at the edges. Next, I saw a pin hole in the paint on the tail gate.

Tesla stated this would be fixed by one of their certified body shops. But I’m not comfortable with this. I feel like they going to make this little hole worse!

I went to a body shop to get a second opinion. I was told that they might need to sand and repaint the tailgate. I’m worried about paint not matching, alignment issues when assembling it back and fitment issues with the rear window.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I should go about this? Leave as is or get it repaired.
3CD3F63F-7153-4C2D-B241-E8E827C429C9.jpeg

A Tesla certified shop should be able to blend in the paint flawlessly, the paint is brand new with no weathering or fade from sun exposure so matching shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the body shop they want to send you to has a good reputation, if not ask for a different authorized shop. Drive a bit further if you have to in order to get a GOOD body shop to do the work.

Keith

Reactions: 365gtb4
I personally wouldnt want it repainted. Is there anything they can do to fill and make it less noticeable?
Yes, going to visit the certified body shop and get some options. The hole isn’t down to the metal bc you still see the MSM at the bottom. The clear coat just didn’t stick on that part. If it needs to get repainted, I’m just going to leave it as is.

I know a little bit about automotive painting. Even if you take it to a Tesla approved/certified body and paint shop, they'll never be able to match the paint 100%. It's scientifically impossible, especially if it's metallic paint. Even if you get the paint from the robot at the factory and use it to paint your car, it will NOT match perfectly. Here are the variables.

-- Pressure in the spray gun
-- Nozzle width
-- Rate of speed at which the gun is moved across the surface
-- Static charge on the paint surface (this determines how the metallic will adhere (flip/flop) to the surface)
-- Humidity in the paint booth

The really premium shops will use a sun-gun to stir up a "custom blend" to match the flakes and the flip/flop in the paint to a test surface before the paint is actually laid down on the car.

Other than that, it may look like it matches from certain angles but it won't look correct from all angles. The only way to make that fender look unpainted is to repaint the entire side with the same can of paint with the same spray gun at the same sir pressure by the same person in the same booth.

So I picked up my MYP on 08.31 from the Paramus, NJ location. Upon delivery I noticed two defects. First was the infamous spoiler coming off at the edges. Next, I saw a pin hole in the paint on the tail gate.

Tesla stated this would be fixed by one of their certified body shops. But I’m not comfortable with this. I feel like they going to make this little hole worse!

I went to a body shop to get a second opinion. I was told that they might need to sand and repaint the tailgate. I’m worried about paint not matching, alignment issues when assembling it back and fitment issues with the rear window.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I should go about this? Leave as is or get it repaired. View attachment 704972
Seems like that would be a perfect candidate for some touch up paint? Just my thoughts. If you plan to get PPF than I would definitely do the touch up paint and cover it with PPF. The dark grey looks sharp in matte!

There are so many horror stories on here about paint issues made much worse when trying to have service address them.

It looks very small, I’d order either the Tesla touch up paint or Dr. Colorchip (they make the Tesla one) and it will do a great job of filling it and leveling it out. I’d give that a shot first.

Reactions: Schulz1983