Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap on the nosecone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on trying to wrap my 2015 MS... I think I recall that the radar system on the pre-facelift cars is located behind the nosecone. Does anyone know if putting wrap on the nosecone cover would impair the functionality of the radar? The wrap I'm going to use is KPMF Gloss Green Black Iridescent. Here's a picture of a newer MS done in this wrap:
GreenWrapMS.jpg

Also would like to hear any thoughts on this, am I crazy for attempting this on my own?

I wrapped the front of my 2015 black MS using a $15 kit from Lowes designed for windows. Being a black car, the black plastic wrap was almost undetectable. I did not wrap the radar, which is just below the nose cone. I did wrap over the ultrasonic sensors and they no longer worked correctly, thinking things were much further away, so I cut out holes for those sensors. I did the wrap for a long drive to avoid highway rock damage. It was easy to put on, easy to take off, and looked good.

Reactions: IslandHydro
I'll add my original nosecone has a license plate on it before, and as a result had 3 holes in it. Along with a few gouges in the plastic.

I purchased the T-Sportline Nosecone and it never fit correctly. I theorize that the tabs that hold it into the bumper are just not long enough. Looks cool but terrible fit.

However, it allowed me to take my time play with the stock nosecone. I was also thinking of doing a wrap, but figured how bad can a paint job be? If I screw it up I figured a wrap would correct it. Plus the 2 places I called about a wrap were asking $200 - $250 for the job. Long story short I repaired the 3 holes and gouges in the nosecone and rattle canned it with a color shift paint. It didn't turn out crazy perfect but I really do like it a lot. Cost me time and about $50 in paint and materials.