Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wraps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a new model X in pearl white. Looking to either ceramic coat it or wrap it satin white or satin pearl white. Not sure if I like the original pearl white paint or a wrapped satin/pearl white better. Looking for opinions.

Look into Full XPEL Stealth wrap. Gives you full protection + matte/satin look. And if you want to go over the top you can ceramic coat the XPEL film.

This is exactly what I did on my white MX but I chose to do clear XPEL instead of stealth.

I have a cousin with a satin white wrap. I’ll post pictures of my pearl white MX and his wrapped satin white MX.
Which one looks better?

Attachments

• 2EBD6BB2-C24F-4589-8601-C8824701F50E.jpeg
    2EBD6BB2-C24F-4589-8601-C8824701F50E.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 50DC2A17-E095-4FF8-B756-C949F13F75FE.jpeg
    50DC2A17-E095-4FF8-B756-C949F13F75FE.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 195
I just got mine wrapped in satin white pearl with a ceramic coat. It’s great. I thought about doing the xpel stealth, but it was going to cost about twice as much. The ceramic coat is pretty amazing. I live in SoCal and it’s been raining a bit lately, but my car manages to look clean even after the rain. If you’re in Orange County, I would highly recommend Dipendable Guys in Costa Mesa.
35A01B0E-FF4C-4ABA-BF84-D30EF8AC45A0.jpeg

Ceramic Coat, regardless.. if you wrap it (personally i would suggest a wrap 3M my fave) after its wrapped ceramuc coat that and the glass. If you dont wrap, you should still ceramic coat. Ceramic over wrap makes cleaning like 1000 times easier, 75
% of the time you can wash a ceramic/wrapped with a hose spray off.

Ceramic Coat, regardless.. if you wrap it (personally i would suggest a wrap 3M my fave) after its wrapped ceramuc coat that and the glass. If you dont wrap, you should still ceramic coat. Ceramic over wrap makes cleaning like 1000 times easier, 75
% of the time you can wash a ceramic/wrapped with a hose spray off.

I just had mine wrapped and I didn't know about the ceramic coat finish. How do they do it and whats the costs?

I just had mine wrapped and I didn't know about the ceramic coat finish. How do they do it and whats the costs?
I actually wasnt present during the ceramic coating, but im assuming its sprayed on like paint. Its 100% clear and can be done to glass also. You wont notice its there till you hit the car with water, and it instantly sheets off (even after extended time, it doesnt wear off)
As for cost, for me i had a bunch of stuff done at once but i'd assume around 1k would be a safe guess.

I actually wasnt present during the ceramic coating, but im assuming its sprayed on like paint. Its 100% clear and can be done to glass also. You wont notice its there till you hit the car with water, and it instantly sheets off (even after extended time, it doesnt wear off)
As for cost, for me i had a bunch of stuff done at once but i'd assume around 1k would be a safe guess.
20190727_220531.jpg

Thats rad! I noticed that the vinyl wrap helped already with water shedding but I bet the ceramic coat would be amazing! Your black X looks amazing! Heres my ocean shimmer:

1333833-1562993118-319326.jpg

Ceramic Coating is not sprayed on. It is more similar to a wax application. Wax on wax off.
Ceramic Coating does not make your car look like the above Model X either. That satin finish is the result of either a satin finish clear bra or a satin finish vehicle wrap. You can ADD ceramic coating to either option too. The average cost for a full car ceramic coating is $1,500 - $2,500 depending on the shop, location, and products used.

Vinyl wraps are always cheaper because they do not last that long. XPEL has 10 year guarantee and company is very good about replacing wrap pieces if there is staining, etc. I warped my silver MX in XPEL stealth; it’s amazing. $7 car wash is all that’s needed.

Here's one of two different colored MX's i clicked off, near South OC train station ... gold pearl on orange;
2017-10-11 13.53.13-1.jpg

All chrome blacked out too.
Is it anybody here?
Still looking for the other Colored X picture ....
inthe mean time - check out the all-weather tires when a guy made a right turn;

2017-10-11 13.50.52.jpg

Then there was this
;)
fe073fe5a11142372bcd529caa448098-1.jpg

Attachments

• fe073fe5a11142372bcd529caa448098.jpg
    fe073fe5a11142372bcd529caa448098.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
How much are these vinyl wraps costing? I have a pearl white 3 bought last year and I ended up ceramic coating it myself the day after I brought it home. I was weary of doing it as people online did not recommend doing it because they say its extremely difficult to properly prep it etc. I am glad I did it myself as it only was 2 hours of my time + $75 in supplies which I was able to use for other cars. I would never drop $2k to have a professional ceramic coat a car as I feel its just a waste of money.

If you are satisfied with the paint and cleanliness you don't need to do much prep. I had a clean car and did a panel wipe of isopropyl alcohol 50:50 water mix. After I simply just applied the cquartz ceramic coat on the sponge applicator for 30-40 seconds in a 3x3 foot section and wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

Its been 1.5 years and the car is easy to wash. I did it also on a black Model 3 of a family members. And this weekend Im doing the same on my P100D X.

Vinyl wraps are always cheaper because they do not last that long. XPEL has 10 year guarantee and company is very good about replacing wrap pieces if there is staining, etc. I warped my silver MX in XPEL stealth; it’s amazing. $7 car wash is all that’s needed.
I've heard that PPF is also much harder to install. I've watched some Vinyl wrap installs on Youtube, and while it doesn't look easy, it seems like it has a lot more foregiveness than PPF.