Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wraps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cost of the color change vinyl wrap is a fraction of the cost of PPF. The lifespan isn't as long either. The installation process of both are very similar and take about the same amount of time. Some vehicles need more things removed to do the color change that isn't needed for the PPF, like mirrors, lights, reflectors, door handles etc.

They each have their challenges during installation, so I wouldn't say one is "easier" than the other.

"Printed" color change wraps are definitely different than a solid color change too. The "camo" pic above is a printed design on a white material. They tend to fade quicker and are also more common for advertising a company's logos and such.

Depending on the color and brand, color change wraps can last 2-7 years before they fade or start to look "weathered". Printed wraps can last 2-5 years or longer if they are maintained and garaged/shaded during the daytime.

The PPF materials have a 10 year lifespan. I cannot stress enough, there is a massive difference between a "Guarantee" and a "warranty". A guarantee means "if/when the product fails within certain perimeters, the manufacturer or shop will give you an amount of money back."
A warranty means "if/when the product fails within certain perimeters, the manufacturer or shop will REPLACE the failed product. Often times the manufacturer of the failed product will compensate the installation shop either with store credit or with actual financial compensation for the labor and/or product.

PS. I'm super grateful
Vinyl wraps are always cheaper because they do not last that long. XPEL has 10 year guarantee and company is very good about replacing wrap pieces if there is staining, etc. I warped my silver MX in XPEL stealth; it’s amazing. $7 car wash is all that’s needed.

When I first read "I warped my silver mx" I thought you were saying that the $7 car wash warped your wrap. Lol typo changed the meaning but now i get it

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
2A131FEB-C795-4613-B2A9-B65DFA0C2AE9.jpeg

Did both my 3 and X DIY. Matte white.

Into my 4th year in interior British Columbia with xpel full coat and still holding up well except the A pillar where some road debris scored it. No issue with dirt/gravel/salt on roads all winter and weekly carwash so far. My installer was not real pro (did not wrap around the edges of the panels but its good enough for the most part.

Ceramic Coating is not sprayed on. It is more similar to a wax application. Wax on wax off.
Ceramic Coating does not make your car look like the above Model X either. That satin finish is the result of either a satin finish clear bra or a satin finish vehicle wrap. You can ADD ceramic coating to either option too. The average cost for a full car ceramic coating is $1,500 - $2,500 depending on the shop, location, and products used.
Correct, its deep matte black 3M vinyl wrap, with a ceramic coat over that. I'm pretty sure i mentioned that ceramic coating is clear tho, and you wont even notice it till the car gets hit with water.

Yes, at first, I was hesitant on the wrap as I didn’t know whether it’ll affect the sensors, but the installer assured me that it wouldn’t. Everything works just like it did before the wrap. Xpel is double the price of a vinyl wrap.
vinyl does not self heal like expel.....I did expel and cquartz......did it at Elite Finish in San Diego....much better than vinyl.....

I actually wasnt present during the ceramic coating, but im assuming its sprayed on like paint. Its 100% clear and can be done to glass also. You wont notice its there till you hit the car with water, and it instantly sheets off (even after extended time, it doesnt wear off)
As for cost, for me i had a bunch of stuff done at once but i'd assume around 1k would be a safe guess.
to ceramic coat on the glass, that have to grind off some of the glass and you really dont want that....its not sprayed......it is applied with an applicator pad