Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: 13A Charging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Gary,

I dont have a 13A cable for sale - in fact, i'm looking for one myself as well. I have, however, come across this webpage that's very helpful - buying a cable from TaoBao and DIY to switch the socket to the UK/HK style 3-pronged plug. If there is enough interest maybe we can do a group order together - I'm willing to provide the DIY modifications needed for everyone if need be.

All,

I want to let you know that I have recently bought the Mennekes BS1636 charging cable from Tesla Service Centre (the same blue coloured cable) for only HK$1,707. This uses the same 3-pronged plug as we use in Hong Kong (or UK). The cable is maxed out at 10A. I believe this was sold at substantially higher price in the past. I think at that price, it is even cheaper than (or very close to) the one you can buy from Taobao. Worth a look at.

All,

I want to let you know that I have recently bought the Mennekes BS1636 charging cable from Tesla Service Centre (the same blue coloured cable) for only HK$1,707. This uses the same 3-pronged plug as we use in Hong Kong (or UK). The cable is maxed out at 10A. I believe this was sold at substantially higher price in the past. I think at that price, it is even cheaper than (or very close to) the one you can buy from Taobao. Worth a look at.

At that price, it is a hell of a bargain.

TaoBao one is 16A cable, so you can fully utilize the 13A current
The Mennekes one sold by Tesla is 10A cable, so you charge at 30% slower rate (~0.6 kW per hour less)
Mennekes one is cheaper by few hundred dollars

I prefer safe than (just a bit) fast(er) and I bought mine at Tesla few weeks ago, they have plenty for sales and I guess it may be fine if you just walk in (better if you can call them to reserve one first though)

I guess the previous $3700 cable sold by Tesla is the black Tesla cable, it looks real good but costs more than double

TaoBao one is 16A cable, so you can fully utilize the 13A current
The Mennekes one sold by Tesla is 10A cable, so you charge at 30% slower rate (~0.6 kW per hour less)

Please don't. Those sockets can't take 13A (let alone 16A) continuously for hours on end. You'll charge faster, but end up burning the socket or worst case starting a fire in shoddy wiring behind the socket.

I guess the previous $3700 cable sold by Tesla is the black Tesla cable, it looks real good but costs more than double

The one I have is blue Mennekes, and I got it years ago when Tesla first started delivering Model S here. I think they just lowered the price.

The one I have is blue Mennekes, and I got it years ago when Tesla first started delivering Model S here. I think they just lowered the price.

Good to know Tesla is lowering price instead of raising it even they have much larger market share nowadays
And the black one (with the car side plug like that used in supercharger) is the mobile connector bundle? I saw someone using it in a public car park before, didn't have chance to talk to the owner and find out

Good to know Tesla is lowering price instead of raising it even they have much larger market share nowadays
And the black one (with the car side plug like that used in supercharger) is the mobile connector bundle? I saw someone using it in a public car park before, didn't have chance to talk to the owner and find out

Yeah, probably. The car side should be the same on both (black and blue). The difference is the blue is BS1363 power side only. The black UMC has adaptors for many different power sources. The blue is now significantly cheaper.

All just an update. I've got the cable now from Tesla SC it's the Blue Mennekes 10A one and Cost HK$1,700 and change. Works good but compared to SC it's super slow. I figure it won't be used much but just gives me another option.

As for the service center, I tried calling several times and also left a couple messages. Finally, I called into the sales center side and the salesman was kind enough to help me check the stock. The cable is in stock in Tsuen Wan.

Thanks all

All just an update. I've got the cable now from Tesla SC it's the Blue Mennekes 10A one and Cost HK$1,700 and change. Works good but compared to SC it's super slow. I figure it won't be used much but just gives me another option.

As for the service center, I tried calling several times and also left a couple messages. Finally, I called into the sales center side and the salesman was kind enough to help me check the stock. The cable is in stock in Tsuen Wan.

Thanks all
This kind of cable is good for overnight or whole day parking if you have the home charging facilities. It suits me very well because I travel less than 100km per day.