Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging USB-B devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use of console USB-C to charge micro-USB devices?

People have gone on about getting data working on the USB-C ports; this is not about data at all, just charging my dang camera and every other little device. Here I have a freakin' UUUUUUUUge battery, and I can't charge anything with it! NOTHING except for Apple devices, but the rest of the world of devices (cameras, headlamps, bike lights, flash lights...) comes with USB-B to micro-USB cables! Now I would not be griping if any adapter worked, but they DO NOT:

I have a fancy USB-C to USB-B+video+other, and I plug one side into any of the center console USB-C receptacles, then I plug in my USB-B to USB -micro charging cable into the adapter, then to -anything-, and I don't get any charge!

(Yes, I can use the USB-B in the glove, but I don't want to unplug the USB-B in the glove, because then I won't have dashcam, and because there are four USB-Cs, why not make them useful? )

-Does anyone have any workaround for USB-B to USB-micro cables?
-Has anyone tried a USB-C to USB-micro cable (I've never seen one, but they exist) on e.g. a lumix camera?
-Does anyone have the precise model, etc. of an adapter that allows use of USB-B to USB-micro cables?

Help would be much appreciated! Peace and love and all that.

-TPC

OK, so I went out and bought a USB-C to USB-micro cable, plugged one end into the console and the other end into my sony camera and it worked like a ... like a curse. It would not charge the camera. I did get it to charge my petzl headlamp battery, however.

Regarding the camera: You can't say that it's the camera's "fault". Whether I plug that into a tiny 1" USB-B power cube you used to get for smallest apple devices, or the larger apple phone/ipad brick, or any of our "power packs" (i.e. batteries for charding phones), the camera charges without a hitch. With the Tesla, I get no charge when I plug it in powered off, and when I plug it in and switch it on, it tries to connect to data storage, finds that it cannot, then gives up.

So, this is kind of subtle, but I cannot be the only person who wants to charge their cameras off the Tesla! Any help here would be most appreciated.

-TPC

If it works to charge something and not another, the problem is your device. For cameras there is usually a setting in it that is for charging or for data transfer. If your Tesla has data on the USB-C ports (some newer models do not) it will probably default to data and not charging.
Go look up the manual for your camera and see how to change the settings to charging only. It's also possible the camera relies on the cable, and you may need a special power-only cable (with data pins disconnected).

Note the full size connector is not USB-B, it is USB-A. If you want a cable that is for power only (no data) look for one that says so. Most USB-C to USB-A female cables are OTG cables (intended to support accessories for smart phones, like for example USB drives), so they have data.

Last edited:
First of all you need to get your terminology correct.

The most common flat rectangular USB plug is USB A.

USB B is an uncommon almost square shape typically used on printers.

Micro USB is actually micro USB B or micro-B, but it’s usually just referred to as micro USB.

It’s possible that the USB C controller in the car is just not compatible with your camera in terms of negotiating charge power so it won’t charge. Have you tried the different USB ports both inside the center console and out the rear to see if there’s a difference?

If none of them work, best bet in that case is to use a 12V cigarette power adapter with USB A ports to charge your camera.

• Informative
Reactions: SidetrackedSue
It’s possible that the USB C controller in the car is just not compatible with your camera in terms of negotiating charge power so it won’t charge. Have you tried the different USB ports both inside the center console and out the rear to see if there’s a difference?

This is entirely 100% possible. I dont know if its the case, but I have seen this exact thing in my house, actually. I replaced a couple of outlets in my family room with ones that had embedded USB C plugs in them. My PS5 controllers refuse to charge with USB C to USB C cables, while everything else, including my Xbox X controllers charge just fine.

Regarding the camera: You can't say that it's the camera's "fault". Whether I plug that into a tiny 1" USB-B power cube you used to get for smallest apple devices, or the larger apple phone/ipad brick, or any of our "power packs" (i.e. batteries for charding phones), the camera charges without a hitch.

Those adapters basically allow the device to take more power (the little cubes). The fact that it works when you plug it into one of those cubs basically confirms that you have an issue with power delivery, from that device.

TL ; DR = It is actually "the cameras fault".

So, to answer questions:

Mea Culpa, yes, the original cable with the devices is the USB-A to USB-micro.

Yes, I tried plugging into both the front and rear USB-Cs for all experiments. No charging.

Any USB-A female receptacle that I have tried (Apple mini-cube, Apple ipad power brick, Apple computer, power pack, 4-to-1 wall power adapter... ALL of these charge the camera with no problem.

IN ADDITION ... USB-C computers, with a USB-C to USB-A adapter, charge the camera.

So, again Tesla is the outlier. I still think my camera is not at fault!

Any further ideas?

So, to answer questions:

Mea Culpa, yes, the original cable with the devices is the USB-A to USB-micro.

Yes, I tried plugging into both the front and rear USB-Cs for all experiments. No charging.

Any USB-A female receptacle that I have tried (Apple mini-cube, Apple ipad power brick, Apple computer, power pack, 4-to-1 wall power adapter... ALL of these charge the camera with no problem.
All of these are irrelevant given they are native USB-A (so your C to A adapter plays no role), plus, other than the computer, they are power-only which eliminates the camera switching to data mode.
IN ADDITION ... USB-C computers, with a USB-C to USB-A adapter, charge the camera.

So, again Tesla is the outlier. I still think my camera is not at fault!

Any further ideas?
Did you do my suggestion and look up the manual of your camera to see how to set it to power-only or charging-only? In Android phones, after plugging in, you can swipe down to change the USB settings and set it to charge-only. Your camera may have a similar menu.

If you don't know how to look up the manual, you can at least mention what brand and model your camera is, so others may perhaps help look up the manual.

Not a great answer, but there are some power banks that have USB passthrough (or whatever they call it when it allows the output power ports to be active when the block is charging). That would give you USB-C in and various choices of output depending on the power bank.

Last edited:
Hi All:

Thanks for these suggestions! Sadly, these re no-gos. I have a sony a6500. There are three settings that might have something to do with USB, or power, and I tried all combinations of them. I also contacted customer service and they had no suggestions, stating that the USB settings were just to get the data right, that the power should always work (as it does with USB-A).

So this is definitely a long shot, but if anyone has a sony alpha out there, and has figured out a workaround...

Thanks,

-TPC

Don't expect your Tesla vehicle to be a Swiss Army knife when it comes to powering/charging low voltage electrical accessories. The suggestion to use the low voltage (i.e. 12V) accessory port is an easy solution. USB-A 12V adapters are readily available, cheap. You could also use a portable power bank to charge your camera on the go.

Hi All:

Thanks for these suggestions! Sadly, these re no-gos. I have a sony a6500. There are three settings that might have something to do with USB, or power, and I tried all combinations of them. I also contacted customer service and they had no suggestions, stating that the USB settings were just to get the data right, that the power should always work (as it does with USB-A).

So this is definitely a long shot, but if anyone has a sony alpha out there, and has figured out a workaround...

Thanks,

-TPC
With the model number it's much easier to diagnose:

Check that the USB Power Supply setting is set to On. If it is not set to On, the camera will not charge when plugged into a data connection (although it will still charge when plugged into a power brick or a charge-only connector):

If that doesn't work, your camera does not appear to allow setting charge-only, it only allows changing the USB data method.

The only work around is as I say, go find a charge-only USB cable that has the data pins disconnected. That would force the camera to not connect via data.

Last edited: