Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB Model 3 Euro tail lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yellow/amber rear turn indicators?

Looking for someone in Europe to help order and ship a pair of Euro Model 3 bodyside tail lights to USA.

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, LH 1077399-00-C
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, RH 1077400-00-B

Just need the outer pair, don't need the inner liftgate pair.

WTB first pair to test out plug-and-play theory. Then maybe we can do a bigger shipment as we gather more interest from USA.

Bumping this up again before I go hunting on eBay...

If someone with a Model 3 in Europe can help order those lights from a service center, I'll pay full price, shipping, and then some for your help.

Service centers here in USA only can order the USA-spec tail lights, tied to my VIN. :(

Yellow/amber rear turn indicators?

Looking for someone in Europe to help order and ship a pair of Euro Model 3 bodyside tail lights to USA.

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, LH 1077399-00-C
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE ECE, RH 1077400-00-B

Just need the outer pair, don't need the inner liftgate pair.

WTB first pair to test out plug-and-play theory. Then maybe we can do a bigger shipment as we gather more interest from USA.

I ordered a new pair from Europe and it is being shipped as of today. I hope they are plug and play. I paid $780 for both.

No. I ordered it from Allegro. I installed the lights and they are plug and play but ....there is a little problem. The turn lights work perfect. They divided the long red center light strip into two parts. The outer part is amber and the inner part is red. The problem is they both light when you press the breaks. Everything else works great. Since the connector is the same I believe there must be different voltage for the red and the amber so when the breaks are on the amber is off.

No. I ordered it from Allegro. I installed the lights and they are plug and play but ....there is a little problem. The turn lights work perfect. They divided the long red center light strip into two parts. The outer part is amber and the inner part is red. The problem is they both light when you press the breaks. Everything else works great. Since the connector is the same I believe there must be different voltage for the red and the amber so when the breaks are on the amber is off.
Curious - did you end up getting them to work? I’m wanting to do the same thing.

It is a "software" configuration.
The USA lights use the "indicator" signal for the full red bar. Empty pin on the tail light side for the "stop" signal.
The EU lights use the "indicator" signal for the orange tips, and "stop" signal for the inner red section.

The "stop" signal is present in USA cars and is actually enabled/powered with braking action, so that's good, but the "indicator" is configured to behave as brakes+blinkers, so there's no way around it. When you brake, orange and red will both light up. We are lucky the "stop" signal even has signal, given it looks like Tesla has full control of the behaviors.

My plan is to disconnect the "indicator" signal from the tail light harness, ground it with a resistor so it doesn't think the bulb is broken and blink like crazy on the front signals, and then pull a long wire from each side indicator from the front fender camera all the way to the back and then connect it into the tail light pin for the orange tips.

If only Tesla would make this reconfiguration easy for us...

That's "brakes". Breaks are when something is broken. Please fix and I'll delete this.

• Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon
It is a "software" configuration.
The USA lights use the "indicator" signal for the full red bar. Empty pin on the tail light side for the "stop" signal.
The EU lights use the "indicator" signal for the orange tips, and "stop" signal for the inner red section.

The "stop" signal is present in USA cars and is actually enabled/powered with braking action, so that's good, but the "indicator" is configured to behave as brakes+blinkers, so there's no way around it. When you brake, orange and red will both light up. We are lucky the "stop" signal even has signal, given it looks like Tesla has full control of the behaviors.

My plan is to disconnect the "indicator" signal from the tail light harness, ground it with a resistor so it doesn't think the bulb is broken and blink like crazy on the front signals, and then pull a long wire from each side indicator from the front fender camera all the way to the back and then connect it into the tail light pin for the orange tips.

If only Tesla would make this reconfiguration easy for us...
Did you ever end up doing this? I'm very interested in doing this mod to my Model 3. Red turn signals are the bane of my existence.

Did you ever end up doing this? I'm very interested in doing this mod to my Model 3. Red turn signals are the bane of my existence.

Yep. I did exactly that. But you might want to hold off a little. Something new/different might be coming and the retrofit to that might be different.

But if you still want the original EU-style tail lights:

You'll need two really long wires to run from each side repeater, through the frunk, through the firewall, through the cabin, then to the trunk.

Don't cheap out on the resistor. If you're stopped at an intersection, this resistor will need to dissipate all that power, because we need to trick the car that the brake lights are still working.
Here's my BOM from mouser, includes some excess in case of crimping screwups:

571-1-1670921-1
2x
1-1670921-1
TE Connectivity Automotive Connectors

571-1-2141520-1
2x
1-2141520-1

571-7-1452668-1-LP
12x
7-1452668-1 (Loose Piece)

571-1718760-1-LP
12x
1718760-1 (Loose Piece)

571-967067-1
10x
967067-1

571-967056-1
2x
967056-1

284-HS10270RJ
2x
HS10 270R J
Ohmite Wirewound Resistors - Chassis Mount

Then I basically made a dongle between the harness and the tail light.

canvas.jpg

Yep. I did exactly that. But you might want to hold off a little. Something new/different might be coming and the retrofit to that might be different.

But if you still want the original EU-style tail lights:

You'll need two really long wires to run from each side repeater, through the frunk, through the firewall, through the cabin, then to the trunk.

Don't cheap out on the resistor. If you're stopped at an intersection, this resistor will need to dissipate all that power, because we need to trick the car that the brake lights are still working.
Here's my BOM from mouser, includes some excess in case of crimping screwups:

571-1-1670921-1
2x
1-1670921-1

571-1-2141520-1
2x
1-2141520-1

571-7-1452668-1-LP
12x
7-1452668-1 (Loose Piece)

571-1718760-1-LP
12x
1718760-1 (Loose Piece)

571-967067-1
10x
967067-1

571-967056-1
2x
967056-1

284-HS10270RJ
2x
HS10 270R J
Ohmite Wirewound Resistors - Chassis Mount

Then I basically made a dongle between the harness and the tail light.

View attachment 577810
Wow, thanks for the detailed install instructions and wiring diagram. Do the Model Y tail lights have the same part number as the Model 3 ones? I know the Headlights look exactly the same, but I can't tell if the tail lights are bigger on the Y.

According to epc.tesla.com, Model 3 and Model Y use the same tail light part numbers, so they're exactly the same.

With that rumored change coming, not sure if it'll be implemented across 3 and Y, or if it is fake news :p

According to epc.tesla.com, Model 3 and Model Y use the same tail light part numbers, so they're exactly the same.

With that rumored change coming, not sure if it'll be implemented across 3 and Y, or if it is fake news :p
If that comes to North America, that would be huge, but not sure how much weight to give to that claim. I can't seem to find a video or pic anywhere of this design. I'd prefer it over the current EU design, but I have yet to find it anywhere.