Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB: TESLA CHAdeMO Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Honestly, I did not even know what this thing was until recently. So now I figure this is arguably an accessory that sits unused in the frunk, like, forever, until maybe that one time you really need it (and naturally you've left it at home). (Or maybe you never need it at all, right? Maybe your partner bought it for you because they hoped you would finally drive them to that spa-resort not near a Tesla supercharger that they've always wanted to visit; with you. And sadly, maybe they're still waiting..)

<Shaking head to clear it.> As you may know, Tesla is selling these right now (January 2020) for $450 new with free shipping. So I do not understand (and will not pay) the prices people are asking on eBay and elsewhere. (I even posted something that was supposed to be humorous about high eBay prices for charging accessories. Sigh. Fat lot of good that did.)

Anyway,...is there someone who has one (for the USA, not Europe) in good shape (no damage; works perfectly), maybe no longer needs it, and is not trying to send their kid to private school? If it still has its Tesla box, that would be nice.

Oh, and if it will work both in the Models S and X, and in the Model 3, that would be preferable. But I might also consider earlier versions that work just with a the M-S and M-X.

There is no rush, so I can be patient and wait; and wait. And wait... <crickets chirping>

Feel free to message me privately (That's a thing on this Forum, right?) if you want to discuss, negotiate, or berate me.

Was able to buy a used one (Craigslist) at a good price. Then, when they became available new on the Tesla site for a short time I got a new one (just to be sure it would have the latest firmware) and sold the used one (for close-to-new price). Then a year later, after figuring that I would never need to use CHAdeMO, I eventually sold the unused new one (for the new price) and am waiting for the CCS adapter to become available. What comes after a CCS adapter? (Blah, blah. Not that anyone is reading this or even cares...)

Last edited:
I have one, you are right I used it once, but that one time was in freezing cold weather. It would suck to not have it. These adapters always go between 300-400 used, good luck if you think you can get it for $200. I will sell you mine for $360 so it is not sitting in my trunk taking up space :)
I don't believe they work on Model 3, just S and X

I have one, you are right I used it once, but that one time was in freezing cold weather. It would suck to not have it. These adapters always go between 300-400 used, good luck if you think you can get it for $200. I will sell you mine for $360 so it is not sitting in my trunk taking up space :)
I don't believe they work on Model 3, just S and X

The newer ones (including mine) work on Model 3.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The newer ones (including mine) work on Model 3.
Same.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s supremely useful to have when you’re absolutely positively damned sure a Tesla Supercharger isn’t reachable but an EVGo, or EA’s CHAdeMO DC50 is. In the time being though I feel I could part with it for what I’m into it for (2 actual uses) unless of course we found the right Model X to buy soon.

Some thoughts about this:
  • Tesla sells new CHAdeMO adapters for $450 (shipping included). (They occasionally sell out, temporarily--right now they are available.) So I do not understand the willingness to pay significantly more than that.
  • Many owners have indicated that they rarely, if ever, use theirs. (Not a strong incentive for purchase by the rest of us, especially considering the high price.)
  • On the other hand, I totally get the desire to alleviate range anxiety. (I've been driving a fuel cell-powered electric car for over two years and, what with hydrogen fuel availability problems, watching the range indicator like a hawk has become a fact of life.) Having (NEMA plug bundle, J1772, and CHAdeMO) adapters that allow for near-universal re-charge-equipment coverage must give peace of mind. (I guess I could think of the CHAdeMO adapter as an insurance policy.)
  • Likelihood of use (by me)? Probably not so much.
    • Not near a Supercharger.
    • Rarely near home.
    • Not for overnight.
    However, there is a CHAdeMO charger near me (but not a Supercharger).
  • I am hearing disturbing rumors (hopefully exaggerated) that ambitious "entrepreneurs" buy up Tesla charging equipment, jack up prices, and sell to the unwary on the Internet. (If true, Tesla should tamp down this practice by limiting sales of multiple items to obvious re-sellers.)
  • In this high-tech electric-car world, both cars and accessories are subject to frequent, sometimes unanticipated upgrades and replacements. Could obsolescence strike existing CHAdeMO adapters in the near future?
  • In general, a very crude rule-of-thumb is to pay about half-price for a good used item.
  • But desirability and scarcity can increase value and that rule may not apply to high-tech equipment. Ultimately the open market dictates prices. I get that.
Considering all this, I guess I am willing to pay about $300 (still a lot) for a good, little-used CHAdeMO adapter (suitable for Models S and X). A new version, suitable also for the Model 3, is probably worth a little more, as is one with little if any use and in its original box. Fortunately, for me, there is no time crunch. I can wait.

This is just my current thinking, subject to modification as I learn more.

Just had another idea: I have a brand new, never used Corded Mobile Connector (Tesla Part # 1106293-00-A) with its original carry-bag (purchased directly from Tesla) that I would be willing to swap for a CHAdeMO in good condition. You know about these, right?--faster charging than Gen 2 Mobil Connector that comes with the car; longer cable than Gen 3 Wall Connector; sells new for $520; blah, blah. I'll put an ad with more information in the "For Sale Section" of the Marketplace.

• Disagree
Sadly, no. But no matter, as I got it to mount and hang in my den. It will look great next to my hitch safe Hitch Safe.jpg, headlight lashes Headlight Lashes.jpg, spinner hubcaps Spinner Hubcaps.jpg, and my personal favorite, the LED Middle FingerLED Middle Finger.jpg (which has so many uses).

• Funny
Actually, I was mostly making fun of myself for buying something that I, like so many, will probably never use, much (thanks to a widening Supercharger network and good home charging alternatives). But range anxiety (for newbies like me) is a powerful motivation, I suppose.

It wasn't that much of a bargain. But I got to save a little over buying one new (with tax) and the the market is what it is. I had to learn that. Too bad Tesla keeps selling out of them new; that just drives up prices unnecessarily.

Anyway, based on my experience over the last month, I would recommend to those looking for good deals on Tesla charging accessories that they check out their local (big city) Craig's List (and avoid online auction sites with outrageously-inflated prices).

Concerning this adapter, the evidence (its clean condition, good shape of the original box with its Tesla information card and original silica gel packet, and most importantly the demeanor of the seller) suggests that there should be no problems. He seemed like a good guy. Not some slick salesman type; just a regular person who lives in the area. The Tesla mailing label on the box is addressed to him, so he is the original owner. Certainly he could have jacked up the price (e.g., on eBay). We had a nice chat and I got to see his beautiful Model S. He was selling because new Superchargers eventually went in close to his house (near Richmond, CA) after he bought the CHAdeMO. So he had used it sparingly and just didn't need it anymore.

I have a CHAdeMO charging station close to my house, so I will try it out. In the mean time, I continue to be interested in the range and fervor of the many posts in these forums concerning various Tesla charging alternatives. Different cable plug ends (NA vs. Europe), different adapters (for public and private charging stations, or the lack thereof), and different alternatives for home charging make this a continually fascinating subject.

Same.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s supremely useful to have when you’re absolutely positively damned sure a Tesla Supercharger isn’t reachable but an EVGo, or EA’s CHAdeMO DC50 is. In the time being though I feel I could part with it for what I’m into it for (2 actual uses) unless of course we found the right Model X to buy soon.

Do you still have your Chademo adapter? Looking to drive the Maritimes come summer & it would come in handy.

Amusing thread.

Few things:
1] I have one of the earlier CHaDeMo adapters. Tesla service center can flash upgrade them to be able to be updated by car. This works for model 3 now. ymmv. Internals have barely changed afaik
2) these are great to have if you’re driving off freeways. Used about 30 times now (compared to 300+ times supercharging). I used to loan mine out for free for those in need. After last experience, of chasing it down, I’m not doing that any more.
3) I do wonder when the CCS adapter is arriving... I won’t be selling mine until then ;)
4) shame on the price gougers.

Amusing thread.

Few things:
1] I have one of the earlier CHaDeMo adapters. Tesla service center can flash upgrade them to be able to be updated by car. This works for model 3 now. ymmv. Internals have barely changed afaik
2) these are great to have if you’re driving off freeways. Used about 30 times now (compared to 300+ times supercharging). I used to loan mine out for free for those in need. After last experience, of chasing it down, I’m not doing that any more.
3) I do wonder when the CCS adapter is arriving... I won’t be selling mine until then ;)

Thanks. Helpful. Sure wish TESLA understood the need for a few alternatives.

Reactions: MikeBur
...earlier CHaDeMo adapters. Tesla service center can flash upgrade them to be able to be updated by car. This works for model 3 now. ymmv. Internals have barely changed afaik

Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure if it was the (a) Model 3 software or the (b) CHAdeMO adapter firmware that needed to be updated. (Maybe both?) What is your Telsa CHAdeMO adapter Part Number? (Mine is 1036392-10-D.) As I got mine used, and it is a few years old, I believe, I should probably take it in to a service center and have it flashed, if necessary.

CHAdeMO Part Number.jpg

Good to know. Yeah, I wondered about that (loaning). Even loaning to a close friend can sometimes be,...difficult. I suppose one option is to require a ($450?) returnable deposit. But that is probably not going to fly with most people.

Neither-a-borrower-nor-a-lender-be.jpg

Wise. I am fairly new to all this, but from what I gather a North America CCS adapter might or would be (a) less expensive, (b) smaller/lighter (than a CHAdeMO), (c) really handy for many drivers, and (d) greatly expand the overall network of available charging stations. What's not to like? Since they have done something about the CCS situation in Europe, can North America be far behind? (On the other hand, look at the Unites States' resistance to the metric system. And we have guns; lots of guns. So don't anyone go telling us what to do... Ha, ha.)

Guns. Lots of guns.jpg

Having seen analogous situations with things like bicycle parts and stereo equipment, I assume that as electric vehicles catch on (already happening), eventually all cars will share some sort of charging standard. And if history tells us anything, it will be not the best and not the worst alternative--but an inconvenient compromise that pleases no one. (Ha, ha. No, hopefully it will be a reasonable option that opens up all charging stations for all cars--the equivalent of today's wide-scale network of for-profit gasoline and diesel fueling centers.)

Agreed. The way I see it:
  • If an item is still available new from a manufacturer or retail stores, private sale prices should theoretically (as dictated by the marketplace) not be much higher than new, retail prices (with flexibility to factor in variables of tax, shipping, and other reasonable additional costs).
  • But once a product ceases to be manufactured or otherwise available, then sellers can ask whatever they want. Whether they get it will, again, be determined by the supply-and-demand of the marketplace. (That rule should not apply to items of necessity like food and water, imo. But that is another issue.)
  • As always, the "buyer beware," or as I would say, "buyer be aware [of retail availability and prices]" warning applies.
Marketplace.jpg

Reactions: MikeBur