Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Care battery & drive unit warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Looks like this is finally live. Had a few questions for @XCare EV that might be helpful to clarify:

1. This is a HV battery coverage. Assuming the 12v battery is EXCLUDED (as it is in the premium coverage)?
2. The plan selection page states a $500 deductible and a $30,000 limit of liability but the marketing page says the HV battery is covered up to $25,000.
Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 16.27.34.png

3. This plan is also transferrable for $50 or we can receive a pro-rated refund. Is the transfer cost PER plan, i.e. if I have the XCare premium and add on the batter/drive unit plan is it $100 total? What about for new buyers of the premium plan with the included battery/DU coverage?

For my 100 pack in CA, pricing doesn't seem too bad:

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 16.25.11.png

According to Tesla, batteries degrade about 12% after 200,00 miles. So not sure how often their capacity will drop below 70% for this coverage to kick in.

Of course, YMMV.

I'm not buying this for degradation, but rather for catastrophic failure. With my existing XC warranty it basically puts me worry free for general coverage until about 120k, then 200K+ for the batter/du.

Looks like this is finally live. Had a few questions for @XCare EV that might be helpful to clarify:

1. This is a HV battery coverage. Assuming the 12v battery is EXCLUDED (as it is in the premium coverage)?
2. The plan selection page states a $500 deductible and a $30,000 limit of liability but the marketing page says the HV battery is covered up to $25,000.
View attachment 957147
3. This plan is also transferrable for $50 or we can receive a pro-rated refund. Is the transfer cost PER plan, i.e. if I have the XCare premium and add on the batter/drive unit plan is it $100 total? What about for new buyers of the premium plan with the included battery/DU coverage?

For my 100 pack in CA, pricing doesn't seem too bad:

View attachment 957144
Thanks for the questions/comments, happy to give some clarity. The Battery and Drive Unit total coverage is limited to $30,000, but the Battery coverage is limited to $25000. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response, just a few clarifications below.

Thanks for the questions/comments, happy to give some clarity. The Battery and Drive Unit total coverage is limited to $30,000, but the Battery coverage is limited to $25000. Hope this helps!

If I understand correctly: battery max is $25,000. Drive unit, max $30,000. Do you have any idea what replacement drive units cost? I've read about some unfortunate incidents where people have experienced both HV battery and DU failures.

Sorry for the two part answer, 12v battery is not included (as you rightly stated) and it is transferable to a private buyer for only $50. Cheers! XCare

Regarding the transfer, just to clarify: both the premium XC warranty + the battery/DU can be transferred for $50.

I'm not buying this for degradation, but rather for catastrophic failure. With my existing XC warranty it basically puts me worry free for general coverage until about 120k, then 200K+ for the batter/du.
Yes, and keep in mind that Drive Units (also covered) range in price from $5000-$7000. We've seen several instances where DUs went and the batteries were fine and vice versa. That's two (or three) opportunities for large failure that you can rest easier protecting. Thanks as always for your insight and contribution to this conversation

this is tempting. I’d hate to have to pay out of pocket for a DU or HV battery replacement. I do wonder what the third party market will be in 2 years?

And I wonder what the actual failure rate is past Teslas original warranty. I have 18 months left on mine.

Last edited:
Yes, and keep in mind that Drive Units (also covered) range in price from $5000-$7000. We've seen several instances where DUs went and the batteries were fine and vice versa. That's two (or three) opportunities for large failure that you can rest easier protecting. Thanks as always for your insight and contribution to this conversation

It would be very interesting to see whatever data you're willing to share on battery and DU failures by MY, pack size, and variant!

this is tempting. I’d hate to have to pay out of pocket for a DU or HV battery replacement. I do wonder what the third party market will be in 2 years?

And I wonder what the actual failure rate is past Teslas original warranty. I have 18 months left on mine.

We do hope that more 3rd party service centers rise up, but all of our assumptions are based on pricing and replacement cost from Tesla Service. We have consulted with 3rd party shops (such as Electrified Garage) to understand what they are seeing in addition to ourselves, in order to better the product offering.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum and EbS-P
It would be very interesting to see whatever data you're willing to share on battery and DU failures by MY, pack size, and variant!

This is definitely something we will do once we have more concrete data. I imagine within the next few years, we will be able to create analytical reports for customers to better understand what we are seeing. Right now most vehicles are still within battery warranty - but of course as time goes, that will change.