Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for opinions on warranty options - XCare

Option A or Option B

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Looking for general feedback on the two following XCare options for my 2017 S 75D with 94k miles. It is SC01 and still under Tesla battery and drive unit warranty.
Some background info: I plan on keeping the car as long as I can, absolutely love it and have had essentially no issues with it other than a recent noise which appears to be a wheel bearing nearing end of life... I drive around 10-12k miles per year.

Option 1:

6,750$ (0$ Deductible) - 4 years / 75,000 miles additional coverage - nearly full service coverage including battery and drive units. Some exclusions.

Option 2:

4,163$ (500$ Deductible) - 9 years / 150,000 additional miles coverage - coverage limited to only HV battery and drive units.

Would be curious to hear thoughts on both options from long term out of warranty model S owners or from current owners with XCare coverage to make the best decision.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What are the exclusions for option 1?
For the following parts and components including: Coolants, hoses, clamps, belts, mobile connector, wall connector, any future external connectors, and any related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, valve stems, light bulbs, 12V batteries, interior LED lighting, lenses, seat belts, brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). For any options/equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

I opted for the full coverage for 4 years ($100 Deductible) on my 2016.5 One suspension issue, ac compressor, charge port failure or something like that and the warranty almost pays for itself. Ever since I purchased the warranty the sense of impending doom looming in the back of my head has disappeared!

Reactions: ssheth74 and Raroia
For the following parts and components including: Coolants, hoses, clamps, belts, mobile connector, wall connector, any future external connectors, and any related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, valve stems, light bulbs, 12V batteries, interior LED lighting, lenses, seat belts, brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). For any options/equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

Does that mean if the coolant leaks into the battery, drive unit, or any of 50 other things that have coolant running through them in these cars, and causes them to fail, then the damage to those components aren't covered?

I suspect it probably wouldn’t be covered but I do not know the answer.

I would recommend anyone getting the Xcare warranty to get clarification in writing about this topic. As an engineer, I see the coolant system as the biggest risk for expensive repair bills. Where ever you have coolant flowing, you have gaskets and seals galore, which are all capable of springing a leak and causing major collateral damage. The early Model S rear drive units are a perfect example. Supposedly the newer Tesla's won't have these issues, but if they haven't figured out how to stop all leaks with ICE cars, you can bet they haven't figure out how to make forever seals and gaskets on EV's either. The "octavalve" and heat pump sound cool and innovative, but it shows the major complexity of the cooling systems in EVs. They are much more complicated than the average ICE cooling system. Even the MCU and onboard charger, which are electrical components with no moving parts that are very intolerant of getting wet, have coolant flowing right through them. And every one of the thousands of cells in the battery pack has a cooling jacket flowing coolant around it. Tesla also threatens to void your warranty if you just open the cap to the coolant system, so that should tell you something. Scary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raroia
I would recommend anyone getting the Xcare warranty to get clarification in writing about this topic. As an engineer, I see the coolant system as the biggest risk for expensive repair bills. Where ever you have coolant flowing, you have gaskets and seals galore, which are all capable of springing a leak and causing major collateral damage. The early Model S rear drive units are a perfect example. Supposedly the newer Tesla's won't have these issues, but if they haven't figured out how to stop all leaks with ICE cars, you can bet they haven't figure out how to make forever seals and gaskets on EV's either. The "octavalve" and heat pump sound cool and innovative, but it shows the major complexity of the cooling systems in EVs. They are much more complicated than the average ICE cooling system. Even the MCU and onboard charger, which are electrical components with no moving parts that are very intolerant of getting wet, have coolant flowing right through them. And every one of the thousands of cells in the battery pack has a cooling jacket flowing coolant around it. Tesla also threatens to void your warranty if you just open the cap to the coolant system, so that should tell you something. Scary.

Tesla has been very restrictive on the battery.

Broken gaskets, seals, leaks, ocatavalve, heatpump... all can lead to battery failures but those don't count.

Everything surrounding the battery must be functioning and the battery fails to retain charge then the battery itself can be covered.

Seems like it’s an unpopular opinion but I am leaning towards the basic offering only covering hv and du… Interesting input thanks and curious to hear from more folks
That depends how long you want to keep your car: 4 or 9 more years.

9 years:
Battery and Drive Unit are the most expensive.

The rest are not cheap but more affordable to pay than the other 2 components above.

4 years:
I assume most people don't keep theirs that long.

I think you can transfer the contract or get refund of the unused portion if you sell your car prematurely.

That depends how long you want to keep your car: 4 or 9 more years.

9 years:
Battery and Drive Unit are the most expensive.

The rest are not cheap but more affordable to pay than the other 2 components above.

4 years:
I assume most people don't keep theirs that long.

I think you can transfer the contract or get refund of the unused portion if you sell your car prematurely.
I could see myself keeping this car much longer than 4 years if it is still going by then.

Yes prorated refund is a nice to have and is offered by Xcare.