Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel - Full or Partial Front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had opticoat applied to my last 85 and it was worth it, but I want to take the extra step to have the front of the car protected from rock chips, etc. So, I have decided to apply Xpel. Partial front (bumper, lights and partial hood) is $1K - full front is $2K. From past experience, I feel like I only really need the partial, but I am worried about the line being very noticeable across the hood. Anyone have any experience with this? My 70D is Midnight Silver Metallic. Thanks!

Not in the cards for me. I know a lot of people do it. The guy I am taking it to said that it would look great and the line would be barely noticeable....and I have no reason not to trust him....I just want to hear some first hand experience/advice.

For a frontal installation, it depends on where the installer "cuts the film". They can wrap all the forward facing panels to fit the entire hood, etc, in which case it's not noticeable. Where it is noticeable is on the factory installed film... But that's not a concern here. @capt601 was my inspiration to have a car wrapped in XPel, and his was done in the front only. Still looks good and I couldn't tell. My wife just wanted to make sure I didn't have my "usual" magnetic personality affect our car.

For a frontal installation, it depends on where the installer "cuts the film". They can wrap all the forward facing panels to fit the entire hood, etc, in which case it's not noticeable. Where it is noticeable is on the factory installed film... But that's not a concern here. @capt601 was my inspiration to have a car wrapped in XPel, and his was done in the front only. Still looks good and I couldn't tell. My wife just wanted to make sure I didn't have my "usual" magnetic personality affect our car.

If I go with the $1K option, the entire hood will not be covered.

I have a midnight silver that is wrapped every where. However, for the hatch, because of the curve, you can see a seam if you look closely (having a spoiler helps hide it). I think you will definitely see the seam if you only do a partial hood. Since you're considering PPF, then your primary goal is to protect the front, so why not do it correctly and get the entire front protected?

I had opticoat applied to my last 85 and it was worth it, but I want to take the extra step to have the front of the car protected from rock chips, etc. So, I have decided to apply Xpel. Partial front (bumper, lights and partial hood) is $1K - full front is $2K. From past experience, I feel like I only really need the partial, but I am worried about the line being very noticeable across the hood. Anyone have any experience with this? My 70D is Midnight Silver Metallic. Thanks!

Geez. I paid $1395 for Xpel Ultimate on full front (full hood, bumper, front fenders, side mirrors) and all 4 door edges from the shop in the Bay Area with the best reviews on Yelp. For $2K, I would probably just go the extra distance and get a full wrap.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I had seen partial hood coverage and I chose the full hood.

I also had partial coverage on the front of the rear quarter panels to protect them from the front wheels spray.
Since these are partials, I see those lines easily, but on the car's side, it's not so bad...on your hood, it's kind of in your face all the time.

The line where the partial ends always looks awful after a few weeks. Also you'll find that rock chips don't stop where the line is. I put Suntek on every bit of painted surface, and it's saved the paint several times (not only in the front either).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The line where the partial ends always looks awful after a few weeks. Also you'll find that rock chips don't stop where the line is. I put Suntek on every bit of painted surface, and it's saved the paint several times (not only in the front either).

I agree. I've had numerous people ask if the line where it ends is a big scratch. If you can afford it, do the whole hood.

It depends on the angle you look at it and the color can make it better/worse regarding visibility. Typically you'll start to see swirl marks on the unprotected area before you noticed the line from other things.

We usually recommend at the minimum a full front end on tesla's. Another option if you're trying to cut costs may be front bumper, headlights, full hood and partial fenders

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding pricing, typically depending on your location/part of the country a full front end varies from 1795-2200..may I ask where you're having it installed?

While I don't have a Model S, I can echo everyone here and STRONGLY encourage you to do the full front -- particularly the full hood. I had a clear bra done when I got my Infiniti G35 Coupe 10 years ago, but I only got the nose. Sure, there's a line, but that doesn't really bother me.

What bothers me is that I've had SO MANY rock chips on the upper part of the hood where I had no film protection. Sure, I had them all filled in with touch-up paint, but you can totally tell. I wish I'd have paid more and done the whole hood. I won't make the same mistake on my Model 3.

Everything is more expensive in MA than FL but I just had the full front Xpel applied for $1850 + the whole care done with CQuartz Finest for about $1,200. Not much difference than MA.

I sorta figured the cost in when I bought the car. Knowing that California applied paint is pretty "weak" if I wanted a car that would keep me as happy as my previous purchases I'd have to make the investment.