Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Available XPEL Paint Protection Film

XPEL PPF
Free
Related vehicle
  1. Model S
  2. Model 3
  3. Model X
  4. Model Y
  5. Roadster
  6. Cybertruck

Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be the best way to fix this issue (see picture)? When I first brought the car home it was a minor issue. However, as the headlight moves in relation to the body panel during normal driving, it seems to pull more and more of the PPF out and the problem gets worse. Is there a glue or tape that I can use to tack the PPF back down? The installer suggested cutting it off, but I fear this would leave a gap for bad things to get under the PPF, especially given the location at the front of the vehicle being exposed to fast moving air/rain.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: NashClearBra
What would be the best way to fix this issue (see picture)? When I first brought the car home it was a minor issue. However, as the headlight moves in relation to the body panel during normal driving, it seems to pull more and more of the PPF out and the problem gets worse. Is there a glue or tape that I can use to tack the PPF back down? The installer suggested cutting it off, but I fear this would leave a gap for bad things to get under the PPF, especially given the location at the front of the vehicle being exposed to fast moving air/rain.
I'm sure if you contact the shop you had the installation done at they'll take care of that for you without charge.

Reactions: zoomer0056
A car flexes as you drive. This is the reason for body gaps. It allows the different parts of the vehicle to move in relation to each other without crumpling. You can press the headlights with your hand and move them around in relation to the body panel. This is normal and prevents the headlights from cracking should you hit a bump.

I tucked the PPF back in myself and it is much better than it was before, but not perfect. I've learned that having PPF is incompatible with perfection. You need to allow for some imperfections here and there.