Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Prime XR Plus vs Prime XR vs Llumar stratos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with these films? Local shop I'm looking at for XPEL PPF said their latest tint is the Prime XR plus but I can't find a lot of good review/info on it. It boasts seemingly higher IR heat rejection than Stratos but I wonder how the quality compares in regards to clarity, durability and appearance.

I've been using F1 Pinnacle for the past decade or so, so I was going to originally go with the newly introduced stratos just for a little higher heat rejection. I hadn't really considered XPEL for tint, but if I'm dropping my car off for PPF, I may just have the tint done at the same time.

Anyone have any experience with the XPEL line of tint?

Did you ever come to a conclusion? I'm in the same boat. I've always used F1 Pinnacle (except one car where I used Huper Optik), but I'm very intrigued by the new XPEL Prime XR Plus. It does come with lifetime warranty though, and the XPEL Ultimate PPF had been great for me.

We are happy with our XR Plus install. Hard to compare when it's installed but it performed best on a sample test my installer showed me compared to other tints (XR, Wincos, Suntek..) We will be using it again once we deliver our X next month.

35% all around
75% on windshield

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 5,516
  • IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 4,409
  • IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 4,185
  • Love
Reactions: K3Man
As far as the tint goes, I figure it's a wash. I thought it might be worth trying the XR plus but only if I went with XPEL. I ended up going with another installer for PPF who uses suntek and doesn't do tint. I ended up going with a shop that carries stratos, so I'm going to put stratos 30% all around the car and air 90 on the windshield.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, I would say go with whatever has a better price point and that you can vouch for the installer and the warranty.

As far as the tint goes, I figure it's a wash.

I might be missing something, so please excuse me as I try to understand here... doesn't the XR 30 have an IR rejection of 85% vs Pinnacle 30 at 61%. I would think that's a big factor in keeping a car cool?

I know you went with Stratos but just trying to keep apples to apples here. Maybe you have other priorities so thank in advance for explaining!

I might be missing something, so please excuse me as I try to understand here... doesn't the XR 30 have an IR rejection of 85% vs Pinnacle 30 at 61%. I would think that's a big factor in keeping a car cool?

I know you went with Stratos but just trying to keep apples to apples here. Maybe you have other priorities so thank in advance for explaining!
Stratos 30 has 96% IR rejection, while stratos 35 has 97% IR rejection.

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaonellumarautomotivespecifications2018january.pdf

I didn't say Pinnacle 30, I said stratos 30 as there is a big difference as far as IR goes. That being said, I've always used Pinnacle F1 in my cars before and that was also good. That has 88% IR rejection. They're all good tints, which is why I kind of said it's a wash.

I don't know if you would go wrong either way. They all have lifetime warranties, so it comes down to the look, the installer and any of matter of convenience. That's just my .02

Stratos 30 has 96% IR rejection, while stratos 35 has 97% IR rejection.

http://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/formulaonellumarautomotivespecifications2018january.pdf

I didn't say Pinnacle 30, I said stratos 30 as there is a big difference as far as IR goes. That being said, I've always used Pinnacle F1 in my cars before and that was also good. That has 88% IR rejection. They're all good tints, which is why I kind of said it's a wash.

I don't know if you would go wrong either way. They all have lifetime warranties, so it comes down to the look, the installer and any of matter of convenience. That's just my .02

Got it, I didn't realize there were two columns and two ways they calculate IR rejection. I see now that the differences are marginal and that's why you're saying it's a wash.

I don't see Stratos 90 on the chart, is it available just not listed?

Did you do the rear window or roof?

Got it, I didn't realize there were two columns and two ways they calculate IR rejection. I see now that the differences are marginal and that's why you're saying it's a wash.

I don't see Stratos 90 on the chart, is it available just not listed?

Did you do the rear window or roof?
It's not stratos 90 as they don't make film in that for the windshield. The product is Air 90. Take a look on the 2nd page of the original link.

I haven't done the tint yet, it's scheduled for a couple weeks from now since sunbusters in lakeway is super booked. The plan is to do rear window as well as the roof windows on the FWD (though those are pretty pricey) and air 90 on the windshield.

As far as the tint goes, I figure it's a wash. I thought it might be worth trying the XR plus but only if I went with XPEL. I ended up going with another installer for PPF who uses suntek and doesn't do tint. I ended up going with a shop that carries stratos, so I'm going to put stratos 30% all around the car and air 90 on the windshield.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, I would say go with whatever has a better price point and that you can vouch for the installer and the warranty.
Which installer did you go with for your tint install?

@CrazyCoconut I’ve decided to go with Sunbusters, the lakeway location. I’ve always used the one on north 183 for the past 12+ years, but this time I’m trying the south one by recommendation of the guy who is doing my PPF.
Ah OK, pretty much the same here. Sunbuster on 183 has done all of my cars for years (F1 Pinnacle always). But, they told me that due to the difficulty of Model 3's back glass, they are adding a $200 surcharge to tint price. XPEL Austin is telling me the same, but they are only adding a $100 surcharge, so I might go with XPEL this round. Looking at the specs, looks like Prime XR competes with Pinnacle, and Prime XR Plus competes with Stratos. Might go with Prime XR for the best bang for the buck.

Do you mind sharing how much they charged you for your install?

• Informative
Reactions: Alset4S
With the factory tints in midday sun if I hold my hand 1-2" from the glass I feel significant heat radiating through. From anyone who has added third party tints to their roof or rear windshield I'd be curious to know if it's a noticeable difference from before you had the tints added?

Trying to figure out which glass to tint to get the most for my money towards heat reduction, open to any insight from others who have gone through this process.

Also, has anyone noticed their actual mileage is significantly lower than the estimated range this summer? On 250 miles estimated over the past couple of days I only got 170 miles. I charged up to 270 miles last night and I'm tracking again. Could be many factors...
  1. AC keeping up with the hotter weather
    • Sub factors: Cabin overheat protection running more than previous months, no tints to abate sun
  2. Defective battery or components

I see a huge difference in the bay area with the tints, there is no way I would own another car without them in this part of the country. Sure it is expensive, but the AC savings and the comfort will make the $1K worth it. I would do the fronts and windshield at 50 or 70, 30 in the back. I noticed a huge difference by changing my front side windows from 70-50.

I have an older car I own, I am going to go on ebay, buy some tints and try it myself

Ah OK, pretty much the same here. Sunbuster on 183 has done all of my cars for years (F1 Pinnacle always). But, they told me that due to the difficulty of Model 3's back glass, they are adding a $200 surcharge to tint price. XPEL Austin is telling me the same, but they are only adding a $100 surcharge, so I might go with XPEL this round. Looking at the specs, looks like Prime XR competes with Pinnacle, and Prime XR Plus competes with Stratos. Might go with Prime XR for the best bang for the buck.

Do you mind sharing how much they charged you for your install?

Sorry I just saw this for some reason. Austin XPEL was more expensive on the tint around the car, but cheaper on the windshield. I believe the XPEL Prime XR Plus was $849 for all windows and like $400 for the windshield. I didn't get a quote for the two small windows on the FWDs on the top, but I bet they're like $50 - $100 each.

Sunbusters quoted me $649 for stratos all around, $100 for each small window on the FWD and I think $600 for air 90 on the windshield. It's pretty expensive for the windshield but they do it in one piece and I know they do quality work and have a good reputation and warranty.

I believe those two prices come about to be about a wash. If you weren't going to tint the windshield, then sunbusters is a lot cheaper. If you're doing every piece of glass in the car, I think it's about even. Hope this helps. I haven't done my tint yet, as I'm waiting for my PPF to finish. I am going August 6th to get the tint installed. I'll let you know how it is after that. I have to drop off the car to get all of my issues fixed upon taking delivery of the car on the 7th though, so it might have to wait until I have more time to spend with it.

With the factory tints in midday sun if I hold my hand 1-2" from the glass I feel significant heat radiating through. From anyone who has added third party tints to their roof or rear windshield I'd be curious to know if it's a noticeable difference from before you had the tints added?

Trying to figure out which glass to tint to get the most for my money towards heat reduction, open to any insight from others who have gone through this process.

Also, has anyone noticed their actual mileage is significantly lower than the estimated range this summer? On 250 miles estimated over the past couple of days I only got 170 miles. I charged up to 270 miles last night and I'm tracking again. Could be many factors...
  1. AC keeping up with the hotter weather
    • Sub factors: Cabin overheat protection running more than previous months, no tints to abate sun
  2. Defective battery or components

I imagine that it would help a ton. The windshield is the largest piece of glass on the car, and though I've never tinted it before, I'm definitely going to do it on the X.

Also, this is Texas...the sun doesn't mess around here :p Tint is always the 1st thing I do to the car (though I'm wrapping it in this case -- my first wrap job). I actually hate driving a car that has no tint. It's just way too bright for me. I love having 30% all the way around just to make things a bit more muted. I swear driving a car with no tint makes me carsick.

I feel like I didn't care as much about IR rejection in my previous ICE cars because I would be filling up gas every couple of weeks anyway. In the X, I imagine it has a direct effect on overall cabin cooling (I've heard stories that the X's AC is subpar compared to other cars but I have yet to experience that. It's super chilly with the AC set to 68 - 70). I care a lot about extending the range on the X, so I'm looking to get the best possible tint, even though the tint job will run me like $1400.

I'll report back here once I get the tint. It's going to be subjective, but I'll see what temperature I need to hold the car at in order to feel the same as I do right now. I'm hoping it's at least several degrees higher.

Also I will keep an eye on general cabin temperatures when I park the car to see if it changes with the tint.

Sorry I just saw this for some reason. Austin XPEL was more expensive on the tint around the car, but cheaper on the windshield. I believe the XPEL Prime XR Plus was $849 for all windows and like $400 for the windshield. I didn't get a quote for the two small windows on the FWDs on the top, but I bet they're like $50 - $100 each.

Sunbusters quoted me $649 for stratos all around, $100 for each small window on the FWD and I think $600 for air 90 on the windshield. It's pretty expensive for the windshield but they do it in one piece and I know they do quality work and have a good reputation and warranty.

I believe those two prices come about to be about a wash. If you weren't going to tint the windshield, then sunbusters is a lot cheaper. If you're doing every piece of glass in the car, I think it's about even. Hope this helps. I haven't done my tint yet, as I'm waiting for my PPF to finish. I am going August 6th to get the tint installed. I'll let you know how it is after that. I have to drop off the car to get all of my issues fixed upon taking delivery of the car on the 7th though, so it might have to wait until I have more time to spend with it.

Wow, they must have raised the price since then. Sunbuster quoted me $649 ($449 + $200 surcharge) for Pinnacle. I didn't ask about Stratos, but I think that's normally $100 more. XPEL quoted me Prime XR $499, and Prime XR Plus $799, both price include a $100 surcharge for difficult install due to the 3's rear windshield.

What kind of delivery problems did you run into?

Wow, they must have raised the price since then. Sunbuster quoted me $649 ($449 + $200 surcharge) for Pinnacle. I didn't ask about Stratos, but I think that's normally $100 more. XPEL quoted me Prime XR $499, and Prime XR Plus $799, both price include a $100 surcharge for difficult install due to the 3's rear windshield.

What kind of delivery problems did you run into?
Well remember I have an X, not a 3. The windshield on the X is huge and hard to do in one piece. I think the X has more glass in general than the 3, so I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

If you're interested in the issues I had with with car on delivery, you can check out my thread:

My delivery experience

Well remember I have an X, not a 3. The windshield on the X is huge and hard to do in one piece. I think the X has more glass in general than the 3, so I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

If you're interested in the issues I had with with car on delivery, you can check out my thread:

My delivery experience
Ah OK. For some reason I thought you were talking about a 3. Sorry to hear about your delivery issues. Hope Tesla will take care of you!

Ah OK. For some reason I thought you were talking about a 3. Sorry to hear about your delivery issues. Hope Tesla will take care of you!
Thanks! I'm hopeful they will. I've heard nothing but great things from the Austin SC and all in all, my issues are fairly minor. The only one I really want them to fix is the alignment of the FWDs so it doesn't keep rubbing the paint, otherwise it'll pull my PPF off.