Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which windows to tint in my X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to tint my 2023 MXP and am planning on doing just the sides and rear. Please correct me if I am wrong but the tiny sunroofs on the falcon wing doors already have heat rejection so I am not sure it is worth it there. I want to hold off on on the windshield as I am worried about potential view distortion at night and potential damage to internal components if the job is done poorly.

The 2 tints I have narrowed down to is the Llumar IRX and Xpel XR plus, but leaning towards the IRX. The Xpel is a few hundred dollars more expensive in my local area (OC, CA) and although the heat rejection does seem superior, I am guessing in reality, I will not be able to tell the difference. Please let me know if you think I am making the wrong decision with this before I commit.

Reactions: Falcon73
I am about to tint my 2023 MXP and am planning on doing just the sides and rear. Please correct me if I am wrong but the tiny sunroofs on the falcon wing doors already have heat rejection so I am not sure it is worth it there. I want to hold off on on the windshield as I am worried about potential view distortion at night and potential damage to internal components if the job is done poorly.

The 2 tints I have narrowed down to is the Llumar IRX and Xpel XR plus, but leaning towards the IRX. The Xpel is a few hundred dollars more expensive in my local area (OC, CA) and although the heat rejection does seem superior, I am guessing in reality, I will not be able to tell the difference. Please let me know if you think I am making the wrong decision with this before I commit.
I only tinted the the front seat side windows w 20% XR Plus. It very closely matches the factory tint on all the rear windows. I thought briefly about adding something to the front windshield, but that was $1,000 by itself, and of course only lasts as long as the windshield. Model X windshields break a lot, so decided against it. The second row windows and the rear and top glass are already tinted.

I tinted the front windows on my MX (professional), part of the top part of the windshield DIY (plus a windshield top shade) and the little windows on top of the FWDs (DIY).

I have found the other windows to be very effective at rejecting heat with my meter, but you can always do more if you want, but so far I've only done the top little windows with some very cheap mirror tint (DIY) and I'm happy with the results. However, that was before I got the solar power meter. Right now, I'm registering around 3 on it (vs 1000 when outside), but I don't know what it was before that.

The other windows I think were around 30 on the meter, with the factory tint, but it wasn't perpendicular solar energy. The fronts are about 70 with the aftermarket 35 tint (ceramic).

I would test it again right now, but the MX is in the shop. AGAIN. sigh.