Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel Stealth and hiding scratches at touch ups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to have my rear door, quarter, rear bumper, and probably hood resprayed. I am then going to wrap my car in Xpel Stealth. Now I have scratches and chips on almost every panel, but nothing like the door/quarter. Anyone who has done Xpel Stealth, what’s is you experience with it hiding imperfections in your paint? I threw a scrap piece over some fine scratches and it didn’t hide them much at all, but I’m thinking some Dr Colorchip and then covering would make them nearly impossible to detect? Anyone know if this is possible? I’d like to avoid respraying the entire car, but I also don’t want to wrap it if it isn’t going to look as close to “perfect” as possible. This is base black BTW. Thank you.

I need to have my rear door, quarter, rear bumper, and probably hood resprayed. I am then going to wrap my car in Xpel Stealth. Now I have scratches and chips on almost every panel, but nothing like the door/quarter. Anyone who has done Xpel Stealth, what’s is you experience with it hiding imperfections in your paint? I threw a scrap piece over some fine scratches and it didn’t hide them much at all, but I’m thinking some Dr Colorchip and then covering would make them nearly impossible to detect? Anyone know if this is possible? I’d like to avoid respraying the entire car, but I also don’t want to wrap it if it isn’t going to look as close to “perfect” as possible. This is base black BTW. Thank you.

I don't know what your scratches and chips look like, but typically clearbra hides light scratches (but maybe yours aren't that light).

For the rock chips, you can try touch up paint but a lot of the time, people end up making it worse by causing a raised spot over the rock chip, which causes the film to raise up. Again, I don't know how many you have or how big/deep they are to really offer any more help.

I don't know what your scratches and chips look like, but typically clearbra hides light scratches (but maybe yours aren't that light).

For the rock chips, you can try touch up paint but a lot of the time, people end up making it worse by causing a raised spot over the rock chip, which causes the film to raise up. Again, I don't know how many you have or how big/deep they are to really offer any more help.

Im your experience does matte cover better than clear?

As mentioned above, clear bra can hide fine scratches and swirl marks but it will not hide deep scratches or rock chips. You can always go to an XPEL installer and ask them to put a swatch of the film over one of the areas you're talking about to see if you're okay with how it looks with the film on it. Other than that, you may want to just have the big scratches and chips fixed.

As mentioned above, clear bra can hide fine scratches and swirl marks but it will not hide deep scratches or rock chips. You can always go to an XPEL installer and ask them to put a swatch of the film over one of the areas you're talking about to see if you're okay with how it looks with the film on it. Other than that, you may want to just have the big scratches and chips fixed.
Thank you, I did end up getting a small sheet and testing it. It doesn’t hide much, but that is no fault of the product since that isn’t it’s designed purpose anyway. Thank you for the help.

Reactions: XPEL