Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellowing on PPF or something else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got XPEL PPF installed (full frontal) on my model 3 about 2 weeks ago but today I noticed around the areas of the hood of the car of this discoloration. It's pretty obvious and looks bad, but I'm not too sure what the cause of this might be or what it even is exactly.

Has anybody had any similar issues? Does this look like it might be the PPF or actual paint damage? Any help would be appreciated

Pic: Imgur

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 213
Take it back to your installer. Something is not right and they should be capable of addressing any questions as well as replacing if (probably is) necessary. My absolute best guess is that they may have used a butane torch for heating the edges and possibly over heated. That is a pure guess as I have never seen PPF discolor that way and definitely never have such an issue so soon after installing. Given the shape, I lean toward it not being PPF-material related. That is purely a guess but the shape is somewhat telling to me.

Take it back to your installer. Something is not right and they should be capable of addressing any questions as well as replacing if (probably is) necessary. My absolute best guess is that they may have used a butane torch for heating the edges and possibly over heated. That is a pure guess as I have never seen PPF discolor that way and definitely never have such an issue so soon after installing. Given the shape, I lean toward it not being PPF-material related. That is purely a guess but the shape is somewhat telling to me.
i'm with you on this one. the installer must've used some sort of heat source to seal the seams, which you're NOT supposed to do. whoever did this install was a bit aggressive with it and i'm guessing they were working out the liquid/bubbles. if your installer doesn't honor the warranty/replace the film, i'd consider small claims.

i'm with you on this one. the installer must've used some sort of heat source to seal the seams, which you're NOT supposed to do. whoever did this install was a bit aggressive with it and i'm guessing they were working out the liquid/bubbles. if your installer doesn't honor the warranty/replace the film, i'd consider small claims.

Well, there's nothing wrong with using a proper measure of heat for promoting the bond of the adhesive when wrapping. But, like anything in the world, if you don't use sound judgement you can cause problems by not doing something correctly.