Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another powerwall discharging to grid thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I’ve been watching this activity for sometime. Right now solar isn’t on (breaker and inverter is off). There seems to be a little leakage back to the grid. This is from 2 separate zigbee readers connected directly to my smart meter. No CTs, this is setup through SCE. But both are showing a small amount of power to the grid. Is that just that the powerwalls can’t react fast enough to a drop in demand? Not a huge issue, but interested if someone has a technical reason. This is in cost saving mode and operating how I expect during peak rates.

. 94D74727-FAEE-45C5-B01C-A3A9603F6C95.jpeg 9C0C0ECB-C426-406E-B357-1637874D1DA3.png

Attachments

• CCDC92EB-29E8-40B7-92D6-E7A4DE00513E.png
    CCDC92EB-29E8-40B7-92D6-E7A4DE00513E.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 63
Yes, that is normal. I see the same with a Rainforest connected to my meter. The PW can't react as fast as loads change in the house, so a little power goes to the grid.

Cool. Thank you for confirming my suspicion. Funny how the Emporia and rainforest are always out of sync by just a little. Although now that I think about it the Emporia is cloud based and the Rainforest EMU2 is probably faster since it’s local.

Reactions: Ampster
There seems to be a little leakage back to the grid. ....
Is that just that the powerwalls can’t react fast enough to a drop in demand? Not a huge issue, but interested if someone has a technical reason.
I have an Outback Skybox and see a similar issue. Outback responded to a similar question and essentially said that was the issue. They also commented that recent Rule 21 changes made the issue more pronounced. In that situation the problem of "slosh" as they called it, goes away at higher loads.