Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yosemite trip, stay near Groveland Supercharger or at a Destination Charger location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're planning our first trip to Yosemite in our P3D-.

Looking at the DC and SC maps, I'm wondering what anyone's experience or recommendation is regarding where to stay.

If we stay in Groveland, we're right beside a SC.

Alternatively, we could stay in a number of DC locations, but I'm aware there's no guarantee that you'll get a DC spot.

Anyone been through this before and can share their experience or thoughts?

Thanks

If you choose a place with a Tesla Destination Charger, ask them how much use it gets. In many places they may get very little use.

Use PlugShare to find places with charging other than a DC. They exist.

Don’t forget about the Supercharger at Fish Camp on Hwy 41.

Finally, don’t count on finding any available chargers in Yosemite Valley. The chargers at the Ahwahnee Hotel are very busy.

Reactions: eustachio
I took my first trip in the Model 3 from San Jose to Yosemite just last weekend. Planned route was through Groveland where we stopped for lunch (Iron Door Saloon) and charged for about an hour (good enough to get from ~40% to 100%). We then entered the park via CA120 and drove out of it in order to check into the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal (right on Highway 140). Our plan was to drive into the park the next two days and take the YART buses around the valley, then hit the Supercharger in Gustine on the way home but that wasn't what happened. We drove back in (free pass on August 25th; National Park Service birthday), took in some sights, did a little hiking and ended up at the Ahwahnee where I found the Tesla charger open for use (and so was the Level 2 charger). I plugged in for about 1/2 an hour (added 22 miles range) while we walked around, then headed out for dinner and returned to the motel. The motel offered use of a 120V outlet in the parking lot but I didn't think I would need it. They do not have any other EV charging infrastructure on the property from what I was told. The next day we drove in, parked at the Ahwahnee and again found both chargers open. Plugged into the destination charger and started the hike to Mirror Lake (actually Mirror Meadow since there wasn't really any water to speak of in it). Got back 2 1/2 hours later and the car was at 100% again. Ended up leaving the park with about 280 miles range left and made it back home via 140 with 121 miles left (without stopping to charge).

I wasn't planning to use the Tesla destination charger at the Ahwahnee since I figured it would be in use, but it wasn't. Both times I drove in both chargers were free. Both times I left, I was the only one there using it. I saw enough Teslas in the park those two days to assume that it would be difficult to rely upon using that DC but I guess I lucked out.

I think staying in Groveland and driving in, around and out of the park would be quite doable with a P3D-. It's about 50 miles from Groveland to Yosemite Valley, downhill on the way in. We prefer to say in El Portal since it's only a couple of miles from the "west" (Arch Rock) entrance so it gives us a little more time to sleep in before starting our hikes.

edit: Forgot to mention... when I got to the SC in Groveland (about 12:45pm on a Sunday) there were three other Teslas already there. I picked 4A since I did not see 4B anywhere (there are 7 stations; which is odd in more ways than one). When I left, there was only one unused station.

Last edited:
You really don't have to worry about charging at all, unless you are staying in the Valley and doing repeated trips to Glacier Point, Tuolumne Meadows, or Hetch Hetchy. Just top up in Groveland during lunch on the way in. The use Groveland again on the way out.

Last year, we stayed at a hotel in Oakhurst and could easily keep adequate charge using the Fish Camp supercharger at the Tenaya Lodge on the way in. Worked great for us. Each morning, we'd have coffee and a muffin at the Lodge while the car was charging. Nice lobby, free wifi.

My 2017 Model S90D had no issues at all with range.

This year, we repeated the visit, only this time we rented a house (Airbnb) for 4 days between Oakhurst and Fish Camp. Worked out even better.

Be sure to visit Glacier Point - it's scheduled to be closed for 2020 to redo the road. Go early in the morning to be able to park at the Point.