Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£40k P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't personally buy a used Tesla from anyone other than Tesla themselves. I've had two CPO Model S's, both had their problems requiring warranty work which would've been VERY expensive without it - one even needed a whole new HV battery. With your budget I'd say you can still get a really nice car plus piece of mind with that warranty. Or save a bit more and hold out for a P90DL, if that's what you really want. I have one and flippin love mine. :)

Reactions: Rooster6655
At the very minimum I'd want to understand what the damage was and how it was rectified. Unless the repairer was someone reputable I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. In fact, I don't think I'd touch it with a barge pole anyhow ;). We know that Teslas can be expensive to maintain and repair so I think the risk of this costing a lot of money down the line is high.

It's also possible that Tesla have got wind of the write off, and switched off supercharging for the car just in case the battery is damaged. I've seen a video somewhere that mentions that they do it.

There is very little chance Tesla will honour any kind of warranty on a written off car once it goes into a service centre and it becomes obvious its a crash repaired car.

I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole, its not even that much cheaper than a 85/90D.

For £20k it maybe worth a punt but not for £40k. You could easily end up with a very large brick on your driveway if say the charger failed and Tesla refuse to repair.

At the very least ask the seller to supply/show some official documents to confirm the car has been inspected by Tesla and the warranty is intact.

Indeed - I guess I'm biased towards wanting a 90, but there's not too much difference.
Thanks!

I'd stick to checking the Tesla website, I was what you wanted a while back for around £45k, I'd expect a few more trade in this month with their end of quarter pushes for new sales.

There is also a 2016 90D 30k miles is on the site for £42k and a 4 year warranty

For £20k it maybe worth a punt but not for £40k. You could easily end up with a very large brick on your driveway if say the charger failed and Tesla refuse to repair.

There is also a low enough price that will make it worthwhile, I think 25-30k would be a fair price for a write off repaired as the saving would cover the major parts failing.

There is very little chance Tesla will honour any kind of warranty on a written off car once it goes into a service centre and it becomes obvious its a crash repaired car.

Good point this may even invalidate the 8 year battery/drive train warranty!

Last edited:
I do want a performance variant, though I'm not too fussed on the AP version etc.

My main issue with the Tesla Used is that they don't include the free supercharging anymore. I can charge it at work on the free supercharging (Newport Pagnell) and I do >24k miles per year currently. That's the main issue - I'm pushing my budget up based on not paying for the majority of my fuel.

Ewan

I do want a performance variant, though I'm not too fussed on the AP version etc.

My main issue with the Tesla Used is that they don't include the free supercharging anymore. I can charge it at work on the free supercharging (Newport Pagnell) and I do >24k miles per year currently. That's the main issue - I'm pushing my budget up based on not paying for the majority of my fuel.

Ewan

Based on the current prices and a basic estimate it should cost about £1200 ex vat at the supercharger to do 24k miles, so it’s a fair amount but if you could charge at home then you could easily half that cost.

So it’s a saving of £600 and all the time you would have spent, if you can charge at home.

Don't forget the more you Supercharge the slower the charging speed. Time is the valuable thing on this planet, for most people wasting it sitting at a Supercharger isn't the best trade off to save £600 over the course of a year.

Lots of Supercharging will kill the battery, and as I've already mentioned I doubt Tesla would honor any kind of warranty work on that car.

A brand new P Model 3 will probably suit your demands better. The Supercharger limit is much much higher on the 3. Though the battery warranty is miles capped.

So it was written off, I would not touch it unless I saw reports of the previous damage and why it was written off? I would want to see invoice for repair bill and who did it.

Is it still on the Telsa books for updates etc, and do they know of its history?

7 Seater?

and after all that it is still over priced for the mileage.

Last edited:

Ewan

I do about or will 20k miles a year, in a P and so far 3.5k miles and only charged at home, or on polar chargers, it is still way way cheaper than running a ice for me.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

FBD377FA-BE4A-4B54-8937-282E46ADFDEA.jpeg

With a statement like that, the seller has a long way to drop! No supercharging !

Or repairs, software updates, or any kind of support from Tesla.

BUT Tesla don't actively look for salvaged cars, so they wouldn't know its a write off until either some one tells them, or you take it for repair and Tesla clock on to the fact its been in a major crash - which would be very obvious.

£40k is way way over priced, the fact its been on sale since May confirms that. I guess the seller is hoping to essentially con someone into buying it and not realise the implications of it been a written off car.