Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

«Safe» to buy new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short story:
Personal experiance, if your car was made AFTER March 2018 you should be good.
Mine was made in August 2018, have not had any of the commonly mentioned (issues) my main concerns being the doors/sensors/alignment of trims etc

Longer story:
Researched tesla about a year before i pulled the trigger, loved the look of the car, reviews had me a little worried (part of rhe reason i waited a year) got a deal on a "showroom" model that never made it to the showroom (i bought it first).

The big thing to consider about tesla is unlike other car companies Tesla doesnt release new models by year, they do it when they want so what month it was made is important. Cars made in 2018 BEFORE march are basically 2017 models, after march have whatever minor tweaks they did.

The only significant thing about March 2018 was the introduction of the revised MCU, which is not really related to reliability - just a little quicker. As you say yourself, improvements have been incremental over the years, so later cars are generally better built and with fewer inherent issues (there have been exceptions reported!). There is no such thing as a 2016, 2017, 2018 model year with Tesla. Improvements were made literally one at a time, or in small batches at various points in the model history. For example many of the FWD parts and sensors were revised over the first 2 years and most of the problems ironed out before the end of 2017. I think now the spec is pretty nailed down as the model X has reached maturity. Mine was built in Jan 2018 and so just missed the new MCU, but I don't think much else has changed since then. For example I got the additional interior FWD sensors, which prevent the doors bopping you on the head if you are standing underneath! After 12,000 miles all is still good, no complaints here.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The only significant thing about March 2018 was the introduction of the revised MCU, which is not really related to reliability - just a little quicker. As you say yourself, improvements have been incremental over the years, so later cars are generally better built and with fewer inherent issues (there have been exceptions reported!). There is no such thing as a 2016, 2017, 2018 model year with Tesla. Improvements were made literally one at a time, or in small batches at various points in the model history. For example many of the FWD parts and sensors were revised over the first 2 years and most of the problems ironed out before the end of 2017. I think now the spec is pretty nailed down as the model X has reached maturity. Mine was built in Jan 2018 and so just missed the new MCU, but I don't think much else has changed since then. For example I got the additional interior FWD sensors, which prevent the doors bopping you on the head if you are standing underneath! After 12,000 miles all is still good, no complaints here.

Did you just say you were able to add sensors???
I didnt even think about asking that

I previously owned a 2013 P85+.

Just got into an inventory X in August of 2018. As a long time Tesla fan and now owner of 2 generations of Tesla.

The difference between my X and S are night and day. From the seats to the build quality to the driving experience. Pretty much everything. With my P85, i felt like I paid to advance the company and the technology. The car itself was pretty spartan. It looked luxury, but I often didn't feel like it was luxury.

Now with my X, I'm really feeling like it's a lot closer to a luxury vehicle. As well as driving an engineering marvel. (Which I felt when I was driving my S)

If you're getting a Tesla, you're signing up for the ecosystem. Which means a lot of incremental upgrades and updates that you will miss out on. For instance, I saw on the tesla shop today, they added a black wall connector. And I purchased and installed two silver ones 2 months ago. I wish I would have known that the black wall connectors were coming out. I totally would have waited. That's just an example of how Tesla operates. New features and products are being added every day without public announcement and preparation (on the consumer's end).

If you understand that, and can settle in to having the "latest and greatest" for about 3 months. And then Tesla releasing a feature that you really wish you would have waited on. You're ready to buy a Tesla.

As for me, I'm settled into this model X for at least four years before I'll probably feel the itch to upgrade. 2 years ago i got rid of my S because I didn't have AP and wanted a roomier daily driver for where I live.

• Love
Buying a Tesla is similar to buying any other new car.

The car may be perfect, or have some items that need to be addressed.

Get it into the service center when it is convenient to you, and they usually can set it right.

There are thousands of Model X owners on the road, rolling up the miles,

They are amazing vehicles.

If you are a business owner, be sure to tell your tax advisor that you are getting a Tesla SUV. Lots of tax benefits.

• Love
Buying a Tesla is similar to buying any other new car.

The car may be perfect, or have some items that need to be addressed.

Get it into the service center when it is convenient to you, and they usually can set it right.

There are thousands of Model X owners on the road, rolling up the miles,

They are amazing vehicles.

If you are a business owner, be sure to tell your tax advisor that you are getting a Tesla SUV. Lots of tax benefits.

definitely on this. that hummer tax break is pretty amazing.

I was in your shoes 6 months ago and decided that life is too short and went for it.

That was the biggest mistake I ever done.

Tesla is way ahead with all high tech features but Fails on very basic features, that other manufacturers spent decades on and the basics that I took for granted. I now understand the importance of that. If you are ok with that, and willing close your eye on it, go for it.

and now I'm finding out the worst of the problem, that if you'll decide that it's not for you and will want to trade in your Tesla. Nobody will take it, except Tesla itself. And in my case, they want more than $20K to take it back. I am now in a 32-month torcher jail (owning Tesla) that there is no way to get out. Biggest mistake

I am not a Tesla fanboy by any means and actually lemoned my first X earlier this year, but what are you taking about? Take it back? This is not Costco. Does any manufacturer just take the car back if you don’t like it? If you feel your X is a lemon because of recurrent issues than go that route. Also, plenty of other dealers buy Tesla. CarMax for example. Get a quote. You may be surprised.

I was in your shoes 6 months ago and decided that life is too short and went for it.

Tesla is way ahead with all high tech features but Fails on very basic features, that other manufacturers spent decades on and the basics that I took for granted. I now understand the importance of that. If you are ok with that, and willing close your eye on it, go for it.

and now I'm finding out the worst of the problem, that if you'll decide that it's not for you and will want to trade in your Tesla. Nobody will take it, except Tesla itself. And in my case, they want more than $20K to take it back. I am now in a 32-month torcher jail (owning Tesla) that there is no way to get out. Biggest mistake

• Love
Reactions: GSP and P85_DA
When you go to buy another car, they will take your old car as a trade in, yes you would lose a couple of thousands at most, but not $27K.

Sell My Car   Schedule an Appraisal Online   CarMax.png

Reactions: hill
There are several routes you could take as mentioned above, and unless you physically altered the vehicle i have a hard time understanding your difficulty selling/trading your vehicle. Tesla are still extremly rare where i live. And when i was shopping around i had hard time finding them cause they were selling so fast!

I originally found a car at a tesla "dealership" in portland called, verified specs, said i would purchase "The very next day" in full no lease etc. But was never prompted for deposit nor thought to ask. And it was actually sold that same night to a guy 4 states away.

(I ended up buying one from washington location deliveried to portland about a week later)

I was able to purchase a near identical car to the one i would of made myself, but got it cheaper and sooner than having it made, it was a "showroom" model that never made it to the showroom (still had factory plastic on it) 50 miles. From my understanding even a brand new custom built tesla comes with 30-50 miles on it.

Did you even try posting an ad somewhere?

When you go to buy another car, they will take your old car as a trade in, yes you would lose a couple of thousands at most, but not $27K.

I'd love to see where that exchange model works! Most cars, unless very rare and desirable with a massive waiting list (Porsche GT3 RS etc), lose a ton of their new value as soon as you drive them away and depreciation in the first year is always highest.

I'd love to see where that exchange model works! Most cars, unless very rare and desirable with a massive waiting list (Porsche GT3 RS etc), lose a ton of their new value as soon as you drive them away and depreciation in the first year is always highest.

Before taking Tesla I ended my 36-month lease term on the 14th month for Acura MDX 2017 (with all possible features ($55K)),
for ... are you ready? nothing! $0.00 - Yes, it's very unusual paying nothing and usually, it will require you to pay a few thousand at most, but this is just to answer your question.

p.s. this is funny that it popped on my youtube, but look what happened when a dude took his Tesla to CarMax

Before taking Tesla I ended my 36-month lease term on the 14th month for Acura MDX 2017 (with all possible features ($55K)),
for ... are you ready? nothing! $0.00 - Yes, it's very unusual paying nothing and usually, it will require you to pay a few thousand at most, but this is just to answer your question.

p.s. this is funny that it popped on my youtube, but look what happened when a dude took his Tesla to CarMax

That's not the same as losing nothing on the car in depreciation, depreciation was built into your lease deal! When I hand my Tesla back at the end of it's finance term I will also pay nothing.

Interesting post. Does not pass the smell test for me. You purchased a $100K+ car but you can't write a coherent sentence? This grammar is atrocious ("torcher jail" ???): something I would not expect from a Model X purchaser.

And then there is the ridiculous statement that 'Fails on very basic features' but provides absolutely no examples. I have owned my Model X for three months and I can't think of even one 'basic feature' it is missing.

And then expecting money back because of buyer's remorse? What other auto company does that?

Seems to me has troll written all over this post. Phooey...

Interesting post. Does not pass the smell test for me. You purchased a $100K+ car but you can't write a coherent sentence? This grammar is atrocious ("torcher jail" ???): something I would not expect from a Model X purchaser.
Seems to me has troll written all over this post. Phooey...
He does have numerous previous posts so I don't think he's one of those toss a grenade and run trolls.

Obviously, he meant torture. Maybe he's using speech recognition to help w/input? Maybe English is not his native language? Heck, on Cruzetalk there was a weirdo jakkaroo (see posts like its still a kia bro) who apparently was a high school dropout. I'm unsure if he grew up in the US but the grammar and punctuation of his posts tended to be atrocious.