Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Clunk” sound on stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the exact problem. 2014 Model S. RWD

When I back out of the driveway in the morning I get a clunk from the left front tire area. Then when I go forward I get a clunk again on the first stop. I do sometimes get it at a stop after having not braked for a while (using regen instead) but it ony happens at slow speed as I'm coming to a stop. I can brake at high speed and never here it. The brakes feel fine then but coming to a stop I hear the clunk and feel it through the brake.

I replaced the sway bar connector as it had a cracked seal - didn't fix it
I removed the brake pads, cleaned them up and lubricated them - didn't fix it (new pads at 160,000km. 190,000km on it now so they are barely worn)
Control arms look good and are solid.
By happenstance I spun the rotor by hand while my friend pressed the brake and I got a clunk. I can now recreate the sound on demand by spinning the rotor one way and braking and then spinning it the other way and braking. I've uploaded a video (sorry about the pump noise as it was hot in the garage and the cooling kicked on)
One thing I have noticed is the brake caliper "flexing" when the brake is applied. Is this normal? I have not pulled the other tire yet to check the other side. I've uploaded a second video showing the caliper flexing out as the brake is applied.
Any thoughts on this anyone? Kinda stumped. Thinking replacing the brake caliper might be the solution.

OK ignore my last post :) I replaced the upper control arm and the clunk is now gone. Also the very slight vibration in the front that I was thinking I needed an alignment is now gone too.
The control arm seemed solid but the ball joint developed a squeek so I thought I should tackle it before going any further. Once I got it out the bushings do show some wear. I'll let you know if the clunk comes back but I think it is solved.