Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Clunking” noise and feel from driver’s seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it sound like something is moving/rolling around? Has anything been dropped into the floor vent under the seat (lipstick, marble)?

It's possible the seat bolts aren't torqued properly, and the shift in weight is causing the clunk. Have a Service Center check it out. I had a VW Passat with this issue, from the factory. I removed the bolt, applied LocTite, re-torqued the bolt to spec, problem solved.

(FYI: in my experience, if you're close enough, just drive to the SC and ask for advice. They might be able to quickly evaluate your situation and correct it.)

Does it sound like something is moving/rolling around? Has anything been dropped into the floor vent under the seat (lipstick, marble)?

It's possible the seat bolts aren't torqued properly, and the shift in weight is causing the clunk. Have a Service Center check it out. I had a VW Passat with this issue, from the factory. I removed the bolt, applied LocTite, re-torqued the bolt to spec, problem solved.

(FYI: in my experience, if you're close enough, just drive to the SC and ask for advice. They might be able to quickly evaluate your situation and correct it.)
Definitely not anything inside. It doesn’t roll around on turns or anything like that. Just 1 clunk that you can feel and hear. I’ll get an appt set up, I’m about 1hr away from the nearest SC. Thank you!

did anyone get anywhere with this? i've had it for months and its now got to the point where i find it really irrititang, did you all just raise service requests?

Only seems to be on decelleration and right before coming to a stop. As you guys have said, seems to me left lower part of the top section of the seat (sort of where you kidney is when sat in seat)

Honestly I’ve been stupid busy w life lately I haven’t had time to do a service appt.
It’s still there. I’ve narrowed it down to if you put your hand on the plastic cover on the left side of the bottom seat (that faces the door) you can feel it there.
I am going to make an appt today and see when they can come check it out.

I recently rented a Model Y from Hertz, and I heard (and felt) a similar "clunk" noise. It sounded like it was coming from the battery or chassis; I even heard it once while supercharging.
I have never heard or felt anything like that from my S or X. It was disconcerting, but didn't seem to affect performance or anything over 9 days and 800 miles of driving.