Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Finally” lost connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but this is not about the OpenVPN shutoff. This is total mobile (GSM) connectivity, gone.
It's possible that since those who haven't upgraded to the minimum version that Tesla indicated in those emails they have been sending out for the past 60 days, that you've also lost total connectivity. Those of us who are current still have LTE and wifi access...

If the software is already staged in your Tesla, then you should be able to install it, right? But if it isn't, then it's a trip to a service center, and it may come with a cost because they gave everyone an opportunity to do the right thing and update before they shut off access (with 60 days notice via email).

Happy to say that this morning everything was up and running like normal. Maybe Tesla felt sorry for me and turned it on again :)

I did try the reboot yesterday to no avail so maybe I should always give problems a day or so to resolve themselves before I freak out and take up bandwidth on this forum.

Reactions: bmah
It's possible that since those who haven't upgraded to the minimum version that Tesla indicated in those emails they have been sending out for the past 60 days, that you've also lost total connectivity. Those of us who are current still have LTE and wifi access...

If the software is already staged in your Tesla, then you should be able to install it, right? But if it isn't, then it's a trip to a service center, and it may come with a cost because they gave everyone an opportunity to do the right thing and update before they shut off access (with 60 days notice via email).
Your car hasn't hit the 4 year mark yet.

Some of us have Rebuilt cars and have been shut out by Tesla for a long time. They don't know which car is mine, they don't know my email, and I don't use any of their services. (yet) To me, having to do anything through somebody else's server is an InfoSec violation. You never really know all they are up to. I don't have any reason to suspect Tesla of nefarious activity (or Apple for that matter, though I don't have any Apples), but just on principle...

GSM service is an entirely different system than communicating with the Mothership, although it is the means to reach the Mothership.

This isn't about firmware version because they are firewalled out of my car (it appears to be 'asleep') so they couldn't know what version I'm at. Yet I've lost all data service. The SIM card I'm using is from a 2016, so it could have hit that mark.

Happy to say that this morning everything was up and running like normal. Maybe Tesla felt sorry for me and turned it on again :)
Well that's good, but don't count on it to last. With rollout of the $10 data package, it would follow that they will disconnect after ~4 years. The data package isn't a coincidence... it's a bridge. I should have anticipated this.

But if it requires herpes, er I mean hermes (websocket VPN) to their servers, I will pay more for my own service, thank you. I only hope the Parrot GSM modem works on TMobile.

Last edited:
Some of us have Rebuilt cars and have been shut out by Tesla. They don't know which car is mine, they don't know my email, and I don't use any of their services. (yet) This isn't about firmware version because they are firewalled out of my car (it appears to be 'asleep') so they couldn't know what version I'm at. Yet I've lost all data service.

Is it possible that they have deactivated the sim chip from talking to the AT&T network? If you have replace it, it is possible that they locked out the IMEI/ESN from all carriers?

If your Tesla is asleep, does that imply that no one talk can communicate with it over Wifi or LTE? Just curious how you limit their ability to connect without eliminating your ability to connect to it, or are ou assuming that they will only ever try to connect over their VPN tunnel vs. also trying to connect to it without the VPN tunnel.

Just curious.

Is it possible that they have deactivated the sim chip from talking to the AT&T network? If you have replace it, it is possible that they locked out the IMEI/ESN from all carriers?
To my knowledge only Verizon locks out ESNs. (because they don't have SIM cards) I'm confident that if I got a newer SIM, I'd be back in data but can't prove that. And it would only be a temporary fix.

If your Tesla is asleep, does that imply that no one talk can communicate with it over Wifi or LTE? Just curious how you limit their ability to connect without eliminating your ability to connect to it, or are you assuming that they will only ever try to connect over their VPN tunnel vs. also trying to connect to it without the VPN tunnel.
It isn't asleep for me. :j I built a script which blocks (DROPs) all attempts to Tesla ports, which makes it appear to them that my car is asleep. I have my own ports to use and abuse. None of their passwords or certs to get access, work anymore either.

I've rooted my car, is how I get away with all of this. There's alot in my (incomplete) wiki.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and zanary
hmmm, wondering if @sorka 's cell is still working? or did he finally update?

Both people here saying they have been cut off are in Canada, and we know AT&T roamed first with the Roger's network, and then with Telus (at least in the West) here in Canada. Maybe that is part of the reason; Canadian's are getting cut off first to save some sort of roaming fee using the older VPN.

Are there any American's loosing access?

I'm still on V8. Everything is working as before except app access which means no remote climate, status checking, or summon from the app but since I use summon from my fob, it's no big deal.

Ehhh, this is embarrassing. Last weekend I disconnected all antennae for an experiment. This could explain my lack of connectivity. Still though I suspicion that disconnect is coming, given the new data package. (And I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes; it's a key aspect of science. As opposed to politics, which has no use for annoying facts)

FWIW, TMobile is compatible with the Parrot. Looking up the US LTE chip and the freqs it supports, and comparing that with TMobile's freqs, B2 and B4 are supported. So it would be a matter of setting up a TMobile account, and replacing the SIM in the Parrot.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
[...] you Nattering Nabob Of Negativism™.
Are you ticked that despite you saying that the Tegra won't work with a 64GB part, I tried it anyways and it worked? Nice verbiage creativity btw, maybe you could use that in naming the variables in your scripts. Maybe at least name them "rooter_" instead of "wk_", so that somebody doesn't think that someone else might have written them?
rooter-quantum-script.jpg

PS - You forgot your whitex...
Not at all. I got bored waiting for the X to come out, so got another S instead. Then when the X did come out, didn't like it (gulf wing doors were slow and very unreliable, plus rear seats didn't fold back then), so got another S again. To this day, I never owned a Model X.

Last edited:
To me, having to do anything through somebody else's server is an InfoSec violation.
Maybe this incident scarred you, when you posted this (since the post implies you did think others had access to your car):
rooter-quantum-hacked.jpg
I know in the end you realized that were not hacked by the people who you thought hacked you, but I guess this incident drove home why connecting to other people's servers created a potential for issues.

Last edited:
Nice verbiage creativity btw, maybe you could use that in naming the variables in your scripts. Maybe at least name them "rooter_" instead of "wk_", so that somebody doesn't think that someone else might have written them?
View attachment 544547
I know, because wk couldn't mean "work". It means the "WhizKid", as you say, who proudly named a variable after himself. Good find, thank you for correcting me... but I'll leave it as it is. I hope you'll comb through the rest of my body of work for other mistakes I've made.

Anyway I am very clear that I am building on Lunar's work. Where you work as a mechanic, the idea of building on others' open-source work is unheard-of. Tearing others down is your preoccupation and your environment, clearly. You will never never leverage the work of others, whitex, neither in code, nor in Life.

Maybe this incident scarred you,
Are you saying it "scarred" me? (as in caused a scar) Or that it "scared" me? (as in frightened me) I'm afraid you meant the second but were only educated to the level of the first.

PS - Most people aren't embittered by what Life has dealt them, whitex. We understand that you have to vent somewhere, but this never-ending litany of American Hate is tiresome.

And ucmndd, it would be a dire error to conflate this individual with any conceivable fringe of teh hacking community.

Last edited:
Not sure if srs...

As much fun as it is to wade into the rooting community’s wang swinging contests, wk_path is a pretty common / best practice variable name, not wk057 fanboyism/impersonation.
Oh, I was just joshing, given the elaborate insult wording he decided to call me. He's been strutting around here thinking he knows everything just because he can write a few scripts. He started picking on my posts a little while back, so I figured I'd have some fun at his expense - hopefully landing me on his ignore list. Not really sure what started it, but I think it was when I questioned some inconsistent information he posted about the emmc, I guess some people don't like to be challenged.

Last edited:
Are you saying it "scarred" me? (as in caused a scar) Or that it "scared" me? (as in frightened me) I'm afraid you meant the second but were only educated to the level of the first.
No, I meant what I said, scarred - emotionally of course, not literally causing a physical scar. Your post about it read fairly emotional. It would explain your sweeping statement below.
To me, having to do anything through somebody else's server is an InfoSec violation. You never really know all they are up to. I don't have any reason to suspect Tesla of nefarious activity (or Apple for that matter, though I don't have any Apples), but just on principle...
You must have had your car connected to someone else's server (or at least give them access through your firewall, or trust to run their scripts) if you thought someone hacked you, so this principle of yours must be recent.

PS>You are posting here using TMC web server though, so I guess "do anything" does not include posting here, or at least it's an "acceptable to you" InfoSec violation. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill_75D
Status
Not open for further replies.