Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Summon” isn’t so “smart”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subscribed to FSD for a road trip. Thought I’d try summon in a mostly empty hotel parking lot. Car pulled out of the stall and briefly drove behind a parked semi truck obscuring my view. Car stopped moving and the app said “summon complete.” Walked around the semi to find the car trying to mate with an island.

Yes, I know the fine print says the car may not recognize curbs, keep it in sight at all times etc etc. Still, anyone thinking of using this feature for the first time should be aware your car may go rogue.

Nothing was damaged aside from additional rash to an already scuffed wheel, so I hope you find this as amusing as I did.

Attachments

• IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8623.jpeg
    IMG_8623.jpeg
    913.1 KB · Views: 29
Same thing happened to me recently during a rainstorm at night. I was mostly watching but, like you, my vision was blocked at the end by a panel van. When I went to where the car was, I found it had completely jumped a curb and stopped 6 inches from a light post. This was my wife's 22 MY (sensors in the bumper). I assume from that event, the sensors aren't working for Summon and it's 100% vision-based, is that a correct assumption? Or is Summon just that bad? I've got a 23 MY and I'm paying for something (Smart Summon) that I don't even have yet. It baffles me that most of the features for Enhanced AP (which I have purchased for my 23 - she's got FSD in her 22), aren't even available yet. They took the cake out of the oven and served it before it was done.

Reactions: sugar silva
Same thing happened to me recently during a rainstorm at night. I was mostly watching but, like you, my vision was blocked at the end by a panel van. When I went to where the car was, I found it had completely jumped a curb and stopped 6 inches from a light post. This was my wife's 22 MY (sensors in the bumper). I assume from that event, the sensors aren't working for Summon and it's 100% vision-based, is that a correct assumption? Or is Summon just that bad? I've got a 23 MY and I'm paying for something (Smart Summon) that I don't even have yet. It baffles me that most of the features for Enhanced AP (which I have purchased for my 23 - she's got FSD in her 22), aren't even available yet. They took the cake out of the oven and served it before it was done.
Our’s is also a 22. My understanding is that it is using the sensors, but I’m not certain.

If you thought I was complaining then yes, you either misunderstood the post, or didn’t read past the title.
Well, the title seemed to be a complaint and later your "going rogue" comment reinforced it. The car didn't go rogue. Car was doing what it was supposed to do in my view and the only problem occurred when you didn't do what you were supposed to do. Later, when Tesla improves Summon and says it will work without you monitoring it, a situation like this would be cause for criticism.

Well, the title seemed to be a complaint and later your "going rogue" comment reinforced it. The car didn't go rogue. Car was doing what it was supposed to do in my view and the only problem occurred when you didn't do what you were supposed to do. Later, when Tesla improves Summon and says it will work without you monitoring it, a situation like this would be cause for criticism.
"Car was doing what it was supposed to do"

Mannnn, I'm so tired of Tesla FSD fanbois criticizing people for expecting the car to do what Tesla and Elon Musk claim it will be able to do on their website and in their speaking for - - years, since at least 2016 now! I mean, even Elon Musk has repeatedly admitted that Summon does not do what it's supposed to do.

Mannnn, I'm so tired of Tesla FSD fanbois criticizing people for expecting the car to do what Tesla and Elon Musk claim it will be able to do on their website and in their speaking for - - years, since at least 2016 now! I mean, even Elon Musk has repeatedly admitted that Summon does not do what it's supposed to do.
Well said. The car is not “supposed” to fail to see curbs.

Robo taxis next year!