Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,250 Center Console Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The integrated center console as shown on the Tesla shop page:

Model S Integrated Center Console

I can't tell what it adds to the car. Design Studio shows a center console already in the interior view. The photos on the item page look similar to the Design Studio console. Also, there is no console accessory equivalent on the X.

Is this one of the must-have accessories?

it sounds like you dont have a model s? if that is correct, you dont need to worry about this as all the new teslas come with it already

it is meant as an option for older teslas that got the big storage opening

it sounds like you dont have a model s? if that is correct, you dont need to worry about this as all the new teslas come with it already

it is meant as an option for older teslas that got the big storage opening
To clarify a phrase you may see elsewhere, the 'original' S's had what is called the 'yacht floor'. James Cooke's youtube channel shows his 2014 Model S with this (Pre-AP1), and it's an open space between the front seats and going forward.

Some people love it as a space to put your duffel bag/purse/backpack, etc., others hate it and want to add an aftermarket console. And, thus, the accessories you've seen. :D

The integrated center console as shown on the Tesla shop page:

Model S Integrated Center Console

I can't tell what it adds to the car. Design Studio shows a center console already in the interior view. The photos on the item page look similar to the Design Studio console. Also, there is no console accessory equivalent on the X.

Is this one of the must-have accessories?

thats for older model S. If you order one now it should come with it

Our 2012 S P85 came with the open floor space. I immediately purchased an organizer bag to place in the floor tray, so I had somewhere to store miscellaneous items (in addition to the glove compartment).

When the Tesla console came out - I had it installed - and it was a worthwhile upgrade, providing more usable storage space, especially since the Model S doesn't have door pockets.

Since the early cars, Tesla started including the console as standard equipment. While some people liked the openness of having only the floor tray - evidently Tesla got enough feedback from customers - to make it standard. And their cost of including it in the car during production is much less than selling it for installation after delivery.

If you have an early Tesla with the open floor, then buying the Tesla console or one of the 3rd party consoles may be a good idea, though at $1250, unless you plan to keep the car for many years, it may be more cost-effective to do what I did - and just get a soft organizer to use in the floor tray.

the 'original' S's had what is called the 'yacht floor'.

That's not quite right. The original MS just had a wide open space with black carpet. Yacht floors that matched the interior trim came a little later as a $600-$750 option.

My wife actually likes the open space and calls it her "purse holder." It actually works quite well for that.

I prefer a console. $1250 is a lot, though.

It's really a matter of preference. My S has open space and I have a $2 clear plastic bin there for my loose items - nice and easy to pick up and remove, or simply look for something (bin is clear so I can easily see through walls and bottom). My wife's S has the console, and while the extra cupholders are nice, the rest of it I don't really care for - I prefer my removable bin. I wouldn't install the console in my car if it was half the price or less. My wife likes her console for the clutter, but I suspect if I offered her $1,300 instead, she'd take it.

Really depends on what you need and how custom you need it to look. The Tesla console, while very attractive, reduces right leg room for me with long legs. Personally I got a much smaller Topfit Portable Silicone Center Container. I really like it. Its perfect for me and my wife can place her purse on top without interfering with the space. Good review by Internet Dude at:
. You can find it on Amazon: Amazon.com: Topfit Portable Silicone Center Container /Cup Holder for Tesla Model S (Black New Version): Automotive. I also got a Cubby, from Norm at: [email protected]. Good video by DAEirk at:

I elected for the Evanex console. While not cheap like the ones mentioned above, half the price of the Tesla one. It looks factory and no one can even tell the difference. If I'm spending this much money on a car, I am not going to cut corners on something I have to stare at and use everyday.

A reasonable option for model s owners who don't like 1250 USD (personally I think it is worth if you just want the best for your S), TapTes provides their Center Console Insert $499.99 includes EMS shipping from Hong Kong to almost all countries with Tesla stores, generally it looks good and close to the Premium Center Console by Tesla, but with some little flaws some owners may not like, 1, no return if the product is not defective, 2, not perfect match with TapTes Qi wireless charger box for Model S, you can use their Qi charger, but then can not close the console front cover like the 2017 Model S, 3, there is a ~0.8CM GAP if you close both front console cover and back console cover, however most cases back console cover is open as need to put some small stuff in, in this case no gap.

If you want to improve your Model S greatly at reasonable cost and things mentioned not big issue for you, go ahead with TapTes, if want perfect center console insert, go for Tesla premium. TapTes Center Console Insert link: Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S June 2012-May 2016

A reasonable option for model s owners who don't like 1250 USD (personally I think it is worth if you just want the best for your S), TapTes provides their Center Console Insert $499.99 includes EMS shipping from Hong Kong to almost all countries with Tesla stores, generally it looks good and close to the Premium Center Console by Tesla, but with some little flaws some owners may not like, 1, no return if the product is not defective, 2, not perfect match with TapTes Qi wireless charger box for Model S, you can use their Qi charger, but then can not close the console front cover like the 2017 Model S, 3, there is a ~0.8CM GAP if you close both front console cover and back console cover, however most cases back console cover is open as need to put some small stuff in, in this case no gap.

If you want to improve your Model S greatly at reasonable cost and things mentioned not big issue for you, go ahead with TapTes, if want perfect center console insert, go for Tesla premium. TapTes Center Console Insert link: Center Console Insert for Tesla Model S June 2012-May 2016

This is the same one that Fastech has, but looks like this will be less for shipping. I agree, it's reasonably priced and feels factory and a good option at a cheaper price point as I did previously own one, but just sold it. I just drove a 2018 loaner with the integrated console and there id no question that one is better quality and feels more premium. As usual, you get what you pay for :)

Attachments

• menu.saveimg.savepath20180919164653.jpg
    menu.saveimg.savepath20180919164653.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 394