Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 TB Portable Hard Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went old school with an SSD case and SSD card.

I think I started using this setup before Samsung started offering their solution.

One more question, as you sound very well informed regarding the T7: I bought a 500GM Samsung T7 at Best Buy yesterday. It states that it is compatible with PC, Mac and Android. I am ALL Mac. So, do I have to format it, e.g., Fat 32, to be compatible with my Mac, or just plug it in to the car and it's good to go?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply!

One more question, as you sound very well informed regarding the T7: I bought a 500GM Samsung T7 at Best Buy yesterday. It states that it is compatible with PC, Mac and Android. I am ALL Mac. So, do I have to format it, e.g., Fat 32, to be compatible with my Mac, or just plug it in to the car and it's good to go?

Sorry, Man, I meant to say, I bought a 500 GB Samsung T7 yesterday. My bad.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you can just plug the SSD into your car, and there is an option in your car to format the new drive (I believe in exFAT, rather than FAT32, format). The exFAT format should work on both PC and MAC.

You can plug in and choose the format option on the display settings. If you want to create separate partitions for custom boombox sounds, you can do that using your Mac.

Are you intending to use a 1TB SSD or a spinning hard drive? I assume the former. If so, and as already mentioned by @ucsdsig, folks on this forum do use Samsung T5 and T7 drives, and seem to have no issues. However, if you meant the latter, I can't envision a spinning hard drive working very well in an environment where it might get jostled around.

I initially used the thumb drive that came w/ the car, but ended up switching to a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card, paired with a Rocketek Card Reader adapter (both from Amazon).

I switched because, after about two months of ownership, I noticed that some of my recordings were getting corrupted, or the flash drive simply wasn't recording (and I was having issues reformatting the flash drive).
I have purchased a Samsung T7 1TB SSD but cannot get it to work? You plug into the glove box usb, you can go into settings and format the drive through the car, the dash cam icon comes up for about 10 seconds then disappears? i have read that the 1TB may require more power than the model S or X can offer but didnt mention the model 3. Am i wasting my time trying to get the 1TB working?

Am i wasting my time trying to get the 1TB working?

Not a fan of SSDs, you will be better off with a MicroSD, just ensure it is high speed and high endurance, like this one:

It looks ike the card reader is out of stock, but your buy the MicroSD and pick-up a reader at a local store.

As to size, 1 TB is way overkill, can you image sorting though that much video? I have a 256 GB card and have it split into two partitions, one for the Tesla Cam and the other for music.

I have purchased a Samsung T7 1TB SSD but cannot get it to work? You plug into the glove box usb, you can go into settings and format the drive through the car, the dash cam icon comes up for about 10 seconds then disappears? i have read that the 1TB may require more power than the model S or X can offer but didnt mention the model 3. Am i wasting my time trying to get the 1TB working?

Did you get the faster and password lockable Touch T7 model? Or the regular one.

Did you try formatting on your computer instead of letting the car do it. Assuming that's still possible these days. I haven't needed to format for a while.

Also what Model 3, with USB-C or only USB-A ?

Not a fan of SSDs, you will be better off with a MicroSD, just ensure it is high speed and high endurance, like this one:

As to size, 1 TB is way overkill, can you image sorting though that much video? I have a 256 GB card and have it split into two partitions, one for the Tesla Cam and the other for music.

Same here. Used everything. Prefer the high end SD cards and proper usb adapter / reader. But I understand people like those T5/T7 drives too.

1 TB is overkill for Sentry. But some might have lots of music or park there car for days with sentry on. But "if" the T7 1TB draws more power and it's connected to a pre USB-C car, especially if there is a hub, joysticks, wireless charger I could possibly see issues.