Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam thumb drive full

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this is in the model Y forum, the incident I will describe, occurred in a model X. As we have a model Y also, I think this issue affects all Tesla models. I had an occasion to save a video clip so I honked the horn. Later, I reviewed the DASH CAM clips only to find out that my clip was not recorded because the flash drive was full. I did not know this, but I found out that Sentry clips are not over written – only the clips recorded from the DASH CAM itself. As a result, it appears that my drive was full of Sentry clips leaving no room to save a DASH CAM clip. My question is why can’t Tesla provide some pop-up notice informing the driver that the flash drive is full and needs to be either formatted or cleaned? In the car this sophisticated, I don’t believe we should have to try to remember to format the thumb drive on a regular and recurring basis.

You keep your sentry recordings? I would think most delete the sentry events that are "non-events" (people walking past your car, cars pulling in and out of adjoining spaces, etc) immediately after viewing them.
That keeps the drive free for when you have something important to keep.

I guess if you insist on keeping all your sentry recordings, you could always get a much larger drive. I've had only the Tesla supplied drive for mine since I bought the car, and never even get close to filling it... but I delete all the annoying Sentry entries that amounted to nothing.

I kept ONE to show the police once, who showed no interest at all in pursuing it any further, even though the woman put three dings in my car wrestling her baby out of her ginormous Land Rover after squeezing in next to me. She even paused after the first event, stared at my car, then proceeded to bang her door against my car two more times . Sentry really isn't the deterent people think, as most people really don't give a flying f--k about other people's property.

If you're worried about freeing up space on your drive, simply delete all the Sentry events that don't warrant saving. Which is pretty much all of them.

Last edited:
Hello vicj, sadly, I have to admit I rarely look at Sentry recordings, which makes me question why I even bother to have Sentry turned on. I agree, after looking at a pointless Sentry entry, there would be no reason to keep it, and it should be deleted. I still wonder why Tesla has chosen not to provide storage remaining information for the thumb drive – it seems like it would be such a simple thing to report.

Hello vicj, sadly, I have to admit I rarely look at Sentry recordings, which makes me question why I even bother to have Sentry turned on. I agree, after looking at a pointless Sentry entry, there would be no reason to keep it, and it should be deleted. I still wonder why Tesla has chosen not to provide storage remaining information for the thumb drive – it seems like it would be such a simple thing to report.
I looked the day the car next to me in our underground garage was broken into and it recorded nothing. It was full from 3 hours of overnight recordings from the previous night. The new LED lights in the underground garage flicker and trigger recordings. I no longer record in the garage.

I would assume that when the drive is full of non-overwritable files all further recording ceases until the drive is emptied or some of the recordings are erased. At least, that’s what happened to me and is why I’m surprised that Tesla does not provide a disk (nearing) full warning. Seems like it would be a very easy thing to do.