Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year, 26,355 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was right about this time of day, one year ago today, that I was up at the local SC picking up my brand new Model 3 with 11 miles on it. I've driven it a bit since then. It's been a good year. :)

Well this is disappointing. I hadn't seen a new thread from you in a while and was fully expecting one of your rants that have always cracked me up. I glad to hear you still like your 3 but where is the fun for the rest of us? :)

How are the tires? I'm at a fraction of those miles and they are showing some wear.
My S needed new rubber at 20k and my 3 at 16k doesn’t seem to be doing any better. I will admit I do a lot of jackrabbit starts, but with these quick cars it is almost impossible not to do so.

(One thing I won’t do is pay extra to replace OEM foam filled tires. Motor Trend study showed very little value and my S without foam is as quiet to my ears as the OEM with foam. Plus, I had many more tire choices.)

So far my 3 has done very well, here's some things it has had done and other data points:

I never rotated the tires. Rears replaced at 16,000, they were down to 1/32, fronts lasted all the way to 26K, they were at 2/32. No significant wear patterns on any tires. I just got new OEM rears and moved the 10K mile rears to the front with 5/32 tread remaining.

Things fixed on the car - left side "signature" headlight part replaced after 4-5 months, both frunk actuators changed a few months ago. Rear axle nuts and rear suspension bolts all were retorqued at my SC visit yesterday when I got tires, and to cure a clicking sound in the rear left suspension, that seems to have fixed it.

Best 1/4 mile - 13.53 @ 103.
Top speed so far - 126. It's difficult to find a highway around here that is long AND flat AND straight AND smooth all at the same time. I'm gonna run it to 140 sooner or later! Need an airport runway or something similar.

Biggest complaint - in cold / humid / rainy weather, the windows fog up way too easily.
Second biggest complaint - the price of anything that Tesla sells.
Third biggest complaint - cold batteries reducing range, frozen windows and charge port locks in winter time.

Vehicle mods - added lug nut cap kit, added OEM "Model 3" and "75" emblems to the trunk so people would know what kind of car just left them behind at a stoplight or passed them on the highway.

Favorite thing - rolling slowly through a parking lot, letting everyone get a good look, while thinking to myself "Yeah, it's a Tesla!". Wondering if the pedestrians wonder what I do that I both know to have it and can afford it.

While at the SC yesterday waiting on my 3 to get worked on, I was walking laps around the building and looking at the cars in the lot, and looking out over the road, thinking back to 3 years ago when I had just gotten my Day 1 front of the line reservation, and what were my thoughts of Teslas at that time, and how long I'd have to wait for mine.

It's been a good year. :)

Last edited:
I took a photo of the screen on my way to work in traffic this morning. Notice the speed! :D

20190508_071801.jpg

So far my 3 has done very well, here's some things it has had done and other data points:

I never rotated the tires. Rears replaced at 16,000, they were down to 1/32, fronts lasted all the way to 26K, they were at 2/32. No significant wear patterns on any tires. I just got new OEM rears and moved the 10K mile rears to the front with 5/32 tread remaining.

Things fixed on the car - left side "signature" headlight part replaced after 4-5 months, both frunk actuators changed a few months ago. Rear axle nuts and rear suspension bolts all were retorqued at my SC visit yesterday when I got tires, and to cure a clicking sound in the rear left suspension, that seems to have fixed it.

Best 1/4 mile - 13.53 @ 103.
Top speed so far - 126. It's difficult to find a highway around here that is long AND flat AND straight AND smooth all at the same time. I'm gonna run it to 140 sooner or later! Need an airport runway or something similar.

Biggest complaint - in cold / humid / rainy weather, the windows fog up way too easily.
Second biggest complaint - the price of anything that Tesla sells.
Third biggest complaint - cold batteries reducing range, frozen windows and charge port locks in winter time.

Vehicle mods - added lug nut cap kit, added OEM "Model 3" and "75" emblems to the trunk so people would know what kind of car just left them behind at a stoplight or passed them on the highway.

Favorite thing - rolling slowly through a parking lot, letting everyone get a good look, while thinking to myself "Yeah, it's a Tesla!". Wondering if the pedestrians wonder what I do that I both know to have it and can afford it.

While at the SC yesterday waiting on my 3 to get worked on, I was walking laps around the building and looking at the cars in the lot, and looking out over the road, thinking back to 3 years ago when I had just gotten my Day 1 front of the line reservation, and what were my thoughts of Teslas at that time, and how long I'd have to wait for mine.

It's been a good year. :)
Glad to hear you still like the car. Can't wait to get mine.