Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year ownship and Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, for those that have follow my journey with the 2016 Model x, will have some insight on this post. I struggle as I write this post because I have mixed feeling on all side. I love Tesla as a whole, I hate what they have done to with quality control. I love my Model x, I hate all the issue we have to deal with over and over. Here is a quick plot and time line with our journey. Keep in mind that I'm not going into major details but rather just outline.

Oct 2016. Enter into contract for purchase, many issue with price and misinformation, from Tesla staff.
Oct 2016 mid ( Model was delivered damage from minor collision during transport) fit and finish terrible.
Nov 2016 finally the car we order is fix and in our drive way. (but not for long)
Nov 2016 issue with sensor, FWD and rattles that need to be address back to the services center
Dec 2016 Only had the car back for a couple of weeks, more issue with FWD sensor and rattle and vibration noise.
May 2017 Drop of the car to address all the issue that was ongoing from previous visited.
June 2017 car still have problem with sensor and rattle and vibration issue
Sept 2017 after many attempt to fix rattle and sensor and fix and finish issue. The car has not gone 30 days without an issue that arise. Fit and finish issue.
Dec 2017 Spoke to directly to SC manger and request a final solution going forward. Current issues in detail.

*12v Battery fail
*passenger door won't open
*Passenger windows won't seal properly
*center screen black out after skipping more than 4 songs
*major rattle and vibration noise still coming from passenger side of the car
*FWD button is broken
*24k annual checkup

22,000 miles on the car, the issue and problem seem to be ongoing and we live 140 miles from the closest SC, so sometime it take a bit of planing to get the car to the SC. I love Tesla for what they have accomplish, I hate that we have not had a day of normal perfect working car that we paid for. Everything is still under warranty but the time and effort that we have put into this is ridiculous. 85k car should not have this many issue and problem period. We have request that our time is compensated up to this point, We have suggest to Tesla SC some solution and ask for them to work with us on getting them resolve.

*take our car and keep it for as long as needed till all the issue is fix.
*lateral exchange to another model x
*Give us a free battery upgrade from 60 to 75 range

.. At this point here is where I stand on it, I love the car and what it can do if it can go without issue for more then a day. I am also starting to expect that certain issue just won't go away. Tesla has given us from the beginning 3 year services plan. I see our car being in the shop a lot more during the next 2 years of ownership. I'm glad it's free because it would cost us a fortune otherwise. Maybe we just got a lemon, but I hope that this can help someone out there that is looking to make Tesla their brand.

Would I buy another Tesla. Hell yeah. The charging network alone is worth it. But I'm going to lower my expectation second time around..... Tesla is still the best car company to date.

Sorry for any type in advances.

• Informative
Reactions: Yoonoo and Tiger
I am going through buy back process now. You can’t just exchange your car for another. They have to offer buyback, agree on the buyback price, go through buyback process (which I heard takes 40 days in average). Then you can purchase another car.

Although I always think this should be your last option, I would go speak with a lawyer. Tesla doesn’t get to decide if you qualify for the lemon law. If car manufacturers were the ones who decided, the law would be useless. I can only speak to Florida law, but it sure sounds like a lemon vehicle (here, I think if you bring it in for the same problem 3 times without a fix, its a lemon).

Just as an aside (and obviously one antidotal example doesn’t mean much), my Dec 2016 order and Feb 2017 delivery has a few issues (that have been handled the first time), but nothing like what you are going through.

My car has been in service 30 days for just one visit and probably 45 days combined over a factory paint issue. They have repainted the same areas 6 times. Would I qualify for the lemon law in FL? I've sent the notice to Tesla required to initiate the claim. From what I read I have to give them one more chance to fix it. You would think 6 times is pretty generous. They have damaged multiple other areas in the process of fixing one panel. I now have front door, back door, rear quarter panel and bumper painted. Let me know your thoughts.