Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100 Amp Home Service and L2 outdoor installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my home runs fine on 100 amp service, but I'm going to want to install a Tesla charger outside, in which case I am likely going to need more amperage. Does anyone know if I can do this without upgrading my indoor electric panel? With a sub panel, perhaps?

Consult with a licensed electrician. You can install the Tesla Wall Connector for use on any circuit rated for between 15A and 60A depending on your needs and the capacity available with your home's electrical service.

These are the Tesla Model Y charging specifications for home Level 2 (240V) charging:

60A circuit rating /48A maximum when charging /11.5kW (power) /up to 42 miles per hour added to the battery when charging
50/40/9.6/up to 36 miles
40/32/7.7/up to 29 miles
30/24/5.7/up to 21 miles
20/16/3.8/up to 14 miles
15/12/2.8/up to 10 miles

Last edited:
You may need a service upgrade from your utility. This can be very expensive if your service line is underground. Another alternative is getting a second meter installed (which can also be expensive). In some places, that allows you to get cheaper ev-only plans for your second meter.

You also may not need an upgrade depending on your home's electrical needs. If you don't have electrical heating, AC, and you have a gas oven or gas dryer, 100A is probably fine.

I have a gas oven, AC, electric heat, and had an electrician say I have tons of space available.

Do a simple load calculation or get an electrician to help.

I am currently getting the wall connector installed with 60Amp service which will draw 48amps.

I will schedule the charges overnight when the overall usage is low.

I have a gas oven, AC, electric heat, and had an electrician say I have tons of space available.

Do a simple load calculation or get an electrician to help.

I am currently getting the wall connector installed with 60Amp service which will draw 48amps.

I will schedule the charges overnight when the overall usage is low.
How did this work out for you? Are you drawing 48amps without tripping anything?

A sub panel won't allow your main to pull any additional amperage, that would just be for room for breakers if needed or wanting extra power at another location.

New service on the garage sounds good. Some utilities offer EV charging with their own meter even with low rates off peak. I went the upgrade route when I got solar in 2019 and moved my 100 amp panel to my garage as a sub panel. Quite a bit of work and pricey but I knew 100 amps wouldn't cut it for my whole house + garage with EV charging.

Reactions: HellsKitchen