Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good solution for an outdoor condo charger installation (Boston, Massachusetts)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently bought a Model Y and I live in a 3-family condo (second floor). I'm lucky to have a free charger right around the corner and I've been using it regularly with a CSS converter. While free is nice, I'd like to have my own charging solution (I might still use the free option when I'm coming back from a long trip for example). My parking spot is right behind the building, next to the main service panel. Thanks to the Ever Source EV home charging installation rebate, I'm thinking about getting one. I requested a bunch of quotes from regular electricians and from specialized home EV charger installers.

This is the simplest and most competitive quote I received. Based on my understanding, the solution is to add a 60A circuit breaker to the main disconnect and connect it to a sub-panel with another 60A and, finally connect that to the Tesla Wall Connector.

quote.jpeg

Back of the building / main/service panels (the sub-panel + charger will be installed right next to it):
main_panel.jpeg

Inside my unit's main disconnect panel (outdoor). I supposed that's where the 60A circuit breaker will be installed:
unit_main_panel.jpeg

Based on this quote and thanks to the rebate, my only cost would be the actual Tesla Wall Connector. But once I factor the Federal IRS Tax Credit (30%), it will basically off-set the cost of the charger.

What do you all think? Does this make sense?

Thank you all in advance.

Have a great day.

JM.

Even though the WC is weather proof rated, more protection is better.
See what rhe Electricans additional cost to install this:
1690300376740.png

Get the one without the clear glass but with a key to control curiosity. Have the Electrican follow the wall connector instructions for setting up security only permitting your Tesla to charge.

After you are done with the install and confirming this is yours, I would put a sign with your name and number on rhe outside.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently bought a Model Y and I live in a 3-family condo (second floor). I'm lucky to have a free charger right around the corner and I've been using it regularly with a CSS converter. While free is nice, I'd like to have my own charging solution (I might still use the free option when I'm coming back from a long trip for example). My parking spot is right behind the building, next to the main service panel. Thanks to the Ever Source EV home charging installation rebate, I'm thinking about getting one. I requested a bunch of quotes from regular electricians and from specialized home EV charger installers.

This is the simplest and most competitive quote I received. Based on my understanding, the solution is to add a 60A circuit breaker to the main disconnect and connect it to a sub-panel with another 60A and, finally connect that to the Tesla Wall Connector.

View attachment 959218

Back of the building / main/service panels (the sub-panel + charger will be installed right next to it):
View attachment 959219

Inside my unit's main disconnect panel (outdoor). I supposed that's where the 60A circuit breaker will be installed:
View attachment 959220

Based on this quote and thanks to the rebate, my only cost would be the actual Tesla Wall Connector. But once I factor the Federal IRS Tax Credit (30%), it will basically off-set the cost of the charger.

What do you all think? Does this make sense?

Thank you all in advance.

Have a great day.

JM.
Btw you didn’t quite read the proposal correctly. The electrician is proposing to tap into the electric supply right after your meter and route that wire into a 60A breaker in a new small breaker box, so only one breaker.

Upvote 0
You are correct. I totally misunderstood the proposal. I only noticed that after posting it here. :)

Do you see any problem with that? I posted a similar message in an electrical related sub-reddit and some people asked me to make sure this is up to the code, since a 60A from a 100A might be too much and I might not get the approval from inspection.

Upvote 0
You are correct. I totally misunderstood the proposal. I only noticed that after posting it here. :)

Do you see any problem with that? I posted a similar message in an electrical related sub-reddit and some people asked me to make sure this is up to the code, since a 60A from a 100A might be too much and I might not get the approval from inspection.
But it isn’t drawing from a 100A breaker. It is tapping the feed from the meter, giving you now a 60A feed and a 100A feed. No, there is nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0
But it isn’t drawing from a 100A breaker. It is tapping the feed from the meter, giving you now a 60A feed and a 100A feed. No, there is nothing wrong with that.

I think the question posed was is 60A too much of a draw from a circuit rated at only 100A. Seems like the same issue / question that shows up on these forums when someone wants to add a 60A breaker to an existing 100A panel. It looks like a load calculation is included in the proposal (towards the bottom) which should address this question.

Upvote 0
I think the question posed was is 60A too much of a draw from a circuit rated at only 100A. Seems like the same issue / question that shows up on these forums when someone wants to add a 60A breaker to an existing 100A panel. It looks like a load calculation is included in the proposal (towards the bottom) which should address this question

Please re-read what I just posted. I do not believe the electrician is tapping into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker. It is instead tapping into the downstream feed from the meter. So the 100A breaker is not involved in this at all.

Look, we can armchair this all day, but this is a multi-family condo install which no one except actual electricians know much about. Given the paperwork, which has a permit, I think we can all just relax and let the professional do their thing.

Upvote 0
Please re-read what I just posted. I do not believe the electrician is tapping into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker. It is instead tapping into the downstream feed from the meter. So the 100A breaker is not involved in this at all.

Look, we can armchair this all day, but this is a multi-family condo install which no one except actual electricians know much about. Given the paperwork, which has a permit, I think we can all just relax and let the professional do their thing.

I just sent an email to the electrician to clarify this solution. Because if they're tapping into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker, I *might* have other issues. Let's see. I will keep you all posted.

But thanks. This has been very helpful.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
I just sent an email to the electrician to clarify this solution. Because if they're tapping into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker, I *might* have other issues. Let's see. I will keep you all posted.

But thanks. This has been very helpful.

They got back to me: they said it will be a new feed so it won't tap into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker.

This is what the new panel will look like:

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
They got back to me: they said it will be a new feed so it won't tap into the downstream feed from the 100A breaker.

This is what the new panel will look like:

Nice to know I can read properly.

That snark wasn’t meant for you. It’s just annoying (to me) when people give wrong advice on electrical charging issues. it is so very rare to see a thread that doesn’t have some wrong advice or misplaced fear in it. Let us know how the install goes!

Reactions: tangible1
Upvote 0